Street Directory Request

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bernie R

Hello gang.

I know a few of our BBs have access to street directories that give names of folk living in each house in a street. I have info on my old street, Romeo Street in Kirkdale but the latest I have is for 1949. That in itself is good as it shows my Dad as resident, but I wonder if anyone can supply me with any more recent data, ideally from around 1970 but anything from the 60's would be great too.

Cheers all

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
BOBHAMO

Bernie the first one is 1962
the second 1968
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bernie R

Bob

You are an absolute star!

Thanks mate.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
graham01

call me thick but i thought that was a mr shakespeare that lived at number one...doh.graham. :oops: :oops: :oops:
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
filsgreen

Hey Bob, does your directory have the residents of Hackett Avenue, circa 1970? I'd love to see which names I could remember. :D
BOBHAMO

1968 phil
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
filsgreen

Thanks Bob, I remember 15 out of the street. Brought back some memories. :D
n3ttl3

Holy Moly! I think the Mrs Bessie Hughes was my Grand Aunt - and I never knew she lived there! I was mates with Patsy Stafford from number 19 Hackett Avenue!
Always a Carey, Never a Traitor!
filsgreen

What a coincidence, Annette, Fred Stafford is my mate. My mother and Fred's were in beds next to each other when we were born :D

I used to run errands for your Grand aunt; she was very good to me and used to give me threepence for going.
n3ttl3

Oh that's brilliant! Freddie was the youngest wasn't he? Patsy's (she was the year older than me) older brother Joey used to go to the Top Rank, but would show us the dances - Patsy and me thought we were Pan's People in their living room! Our parents used to go to the Odva, Haarland & Wolffs etc on a Saturday night. My mum and Mrs Stafford (Peggy) tried to work out if they were related - never got to the bottom of it though!

I did ask my uncle Jim if his Auntie Bessie definitely lived in Hackett Avenue, but he can't remember! (he is nearly 91) mind you, there's not many whose given name was Bessie I think?

All the best
Annette :)
filsgreen

Hi Annette. Pauline was the youngest of the clan. Joe, Fred and I drink down South Road and always end up in the Bell's. Joe is looking really well. Patsy is about three years older than me and as far as I know still lives in Bootle and married to a plumber called Billy Mac, who is a massive Red.

I can't remember the lady's name who lived at number 1 and I'd only know her as Mrs Hughes if I did. No chance of calling your elders by their first names in them days. I do remember that she was an elderly lady and under five foot.
n3ttl3

Ah thanks for that Filsgreen - I'd totally forgotten about Pauline 'the baby'! I doubt they'd remember me, but give 'the lads' my best - it was a VERY long time ago! When Patsy left school, she worked at the Chicken Factory - she was well hard! I knew Patsy had got married - but not to a Red - Karma eh? :) - they, especially Freddie, used to take the mick out of me something wicked, specially on Derby Day! Everton have done well this afternoon, lets hope Liverpool have the same success, although that ruddy 'toxic thunder' kit gives me a headache!

Correct there on the 'Mrs Hughes' etc, you'd get a belt if you tried using your elder's first names!

By the by - is the nursery school still at the back of Hackett Avenu do you know? My eldest went there before she went to Roberts (3rd generation, my Mum, me, then her)!

All the best
Annette :)
filsgreen

Yes, great score today, Fred will have been there to see it. As far as I know the nursery is still there, but with the alley gates you can only see it from Google Earth, unless you can get in from the top of Province Road? I've not been round there for a while.

Phil
Jan Purchase

Bobhamo

Do you have a Street Directory for Grove Street?

My family lived in Grove Street from about 1947/48? to 1955.

Jan
BOBHAMO

hope it helps Jan
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Jan Purchase

Thanks Bob

Brings back memories.

My sister was best friends with Joan Brown; me with Heather Brown and my brother Jim best friends with Harry Brown at number 50.

I also remember Pauline Burton at number 30; she was deaf and dumb and I used to play at her house almost every day as soon as I got home from school.

Brother Jim was also friends with Georgie White at number 40.

We lived in the first house in the road - number 26!

Happy Days

Jan
mary moulsdale

:x Hi There Bob.i see your still doing your Great work for people on the site. Ive not been on in a long while. Hope you are keeping well. Happy to send you this.,just hope you remember who the heck i am. All the best from Not So Cold Canada.
i want to meet all old family and friends.From Garden Lane,Sterrix Lane and Sefton Estate