Park Street 1947 - 1957

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
peter c

[quote="Forshaw"]Hi All .There were a couple of newsagents along there but the first one down from the corner of Park Street was I think Woodwards.My Mum used to clean for Mrs Woodwards for a while .Was the other one Coltmans ?or something similar .We used to look in Coltmans window and Baggie all the toys for Christmas .We. bought sticky lice and pop there on the way back from school .I think Pawsons was a dairy back then .I'm glad you remember seeing Montgomery ,because I saw him in Park Street too .And I'd begun to think I'd imagined it after all these years .Thanks for the memories[/quote]

Thank you for that response. You are right, I think it was Woodwards who I delivered papers for. Poor guy, I sometimes missed a customer or two and not tell him and he would get the flack from them when they came in to complain. I also remember another newsagent, Downings, further down Hawthorn Rd. - a very nice place that sold lots of good stuff. My Mum worked at the jam works on Park Street near the barracks in the late 40's - she used to sneak out some strawberries for us once in a while. That was a real treat.
Nice memories.
Thanks.
Peter c
CONNELL

peter c wrote:Thank you Bob. Only name I recognize is Tom Smith. Tom jr. was a very good friend but unfortunately we lost contact after I left for Canada in 1957.
I don't think Pawson's was the name of the news agent but I'm not sure. It was a few shops down from Park Street , between Park Street and the bakery shop.

Peter
Woodward's was the newsagents. Pawson's was further down and sold milk and ice cream. Was next door to chandlers, owner Mrs Mallinson.
Mary
Vivian

Hi, I lived at 81 Park Street from 1947 to 1968. Not been on site for quite a while, so catching up now :)
Park Street born and bred, Christ Church, Eden Vale, Balliol Sec Mod and Bootle Tech.
peter c

Hi Vivian.
You probably lived across the street from my good friend Charlie Muirhead (I think that is how he spelled his last name, maybe it was Moorhead?) just a little bit up from Well Lane, on the opposite side of Park Street. We went to St. Monica's together.
I lived in one of the two prefabs at #21 Park Street across from Davis and the Scott's. I would love to get a photograph of our prefab. Also any old photographs of St. Monica's school, I attended there from about 1945 to 1955 then went to Bootle Tech before leaving for Canada in 1957.
Cheers, Peter.
Marie777

Just been reading this long standing post. Still wondering why nobody has mentioned

the Kehoe's doubt if that is the right spelling but I remember there was a John, Dennis, Molly and Justin.

They all went to St Monica's, that's about all that I know but they were a very nice family and just after I got the computer

I was in touch with Molly who was still living in Fernhill Road, never left the Bootle area. Just wondered ????
Vivian

peter c wrote:Hi Vivian.
You probably lived across the street from my good friend Charlie Muirhead (I think that is how he spelled his last name, maybe it was Moorhead?) just a little bit up from Well Lane, on the opposite side of Park Street. We went to St. Monica's together.
I lived in one of the two prefabs at #21 Park Street across from Davis and the Scott's. I would love to get a photograph of our prefab. Also any old photographs of St. Monica's school, I attended there from about 1945 to 1955 then went to Bootle Tech before leaving for Canada in 1957.
Cheers, Peter.
Hi Peter, will have to get thinking cap on, I am terrible with remembering names from way back when! Will have a word with big brother Eric. Re school pics have you tried Merseyside Schools on facebook or Bootle and Sefton history on fb?

Cheers Vivian
Park Street born and bred, Christ Church, Eden Vale, Balliol Sec Mod and Bootle Tech.
billygooner

hi peter c,I to went to the tec 1955-1957 then on to an apprenticeship in lairds, I was born during an air raid jan1941 in 283 hawthorne road between the shops opposite the gates of Christ church school, still live in sunny bootle. regards billy.
peter c

Hi, nice to hear from you.

I was born during the Blitz in 1941. Lived on Earl Road across from the park gates until moving to a prefab on Park Street in 1947. My cousins lived on Hawthorn Road, further down from you, across from the co-op. I went to St. Monica's and then to the tech in 1955. The only teacher I remember at the tech was one we called Jocko. I remember him because he taught my dad almost 30 years earlier.
I have been looking on line for pictures of our prefab but had no luck with that or in finding old pics of St. Monica's.

Regards
Peter
peter c

[quote="BOBHAMO"]Hi Peter and welcome :D :D :D :D
photo of park street you can just make out the prefabs
i have some photos of park street will get them out
one of my school mates dougie cooper lived in the prefabs
next to spensos
[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/764/2060 ... 011e_z.jpg[/img]
bob hamo[/quote]

Hi Bobhamo,
Were you able to get any photos of the Park Street prefabs (I lived in #21) and I would sure like to see them, if they are available, before I leave this world.

Thankx,

Peter
peter c

[quote="Vivian"][quote="peter c"]Hi Vivian.
Cheers, Peter.[/quote]

Hi Peter, will have to get thinking cap on, I am terrible with remembering names from way back when! Will have a word with big brother Eric. Re school pics have you tried Merseyside Schools on facebook or Bootle and Sefton history on fb?

Cheers Vivian[/quote]

Yes I have tried those sites but they don't seem to have too much from back in the 40s and 50's. Maybe I'm expecting a bit too much. Were you able to get anything from your brother? Any info about St. Monica's or the Park Street prefabs would be appreciated. I attended three St. Monica locations before going to the Tech in "55 (not sure I can remember the street names) I started in about 1945 at the school across from the church and ended up at what we called the old fever hospital. I assume you attended there too? By today's standard it was very primitive - we used to take turns fetching the coal (or coke) to keep the fires going). In order to rehabilitate the grounds we had a weekly class in gardening, which I enjoyed. That experience has stayed with me all my life - I love my gardens.

Regards, Peter
peter c

[quote="lily8"]It looks like one Bootle lady got a bit carried away over Monty :D

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/84364891[/quote]

That is funny. I remember Monty driving past our house (21 Park Street) on a tank but I didn't see any lady kissing him. Anyway, it was'n't my Mum - I hope.

Cheers, Peter
SouthportPhil

Hi Bob, my mum, is 95 on 23rd Nov and it would be great for her to see any street listing of residents of Litherland Road. Mum's family, the Dixons lived for many years in a lovely big house at no 28. It got demolushed to make way for the sheltered housing on that site. Regards Phol
BOBHAMO

Welcome Phil :D :D :D
Image 1949
remember the houses Phil the last directory i have is 1968
with a May Dixon living there if you want i will put it on
Bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
giropay

That's a brilliant photo BOBHAMO. Do you have any similar of the surrounding area - for example going up Litherland Road towards the Jawbone and of Langdale Street ?
BOBHAMO

better photo :D :D :D
do you want Langdale street residents
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Dan

Bootle Times June 12 1931.

Fire in the Arabian Mills animal feed site in Park Street.

peter c

[quote=giropay post_id=484548 time=1606030736 user_id=2045]
That's a brilliant photo BOBHAMO. Do you have any similar of the surrounding area - for example going up Litherland Road towards the Jawbone and of Langdale Street ?
[/quote]

Great photo of our prefab at 21 Park Street. Thank you very much for that. I lived there from 1941 until 1957.
The other picture of Langdale street sure brings back memories. As a kid I worked part time at the chandlers (next door to Sid's green grocer shop). I also did deliveries for the wine shop at the corner of Langdale Street. So long ago but I remember it well.
Thanks again.
Peter c.
peter c

[quote="Liz H" post_id=403589 time=1441628607 user_id=3257]
I lived in Garden Lane, just off Park Street, from 1955 to 1965 and went to St Monicas infant and junior schools. I remember playing where Park Street and Garden Lane met. I remember there were prefabs with big gardens (well they looked big to me, because we only had a back yard). There was also a debris behind the prefabs where wild flowers grew and I used to pick bunches for my mum to put into jam jars. That debris still had loads of bricks from the bombings and I loved to build houses out of them. We had an outside toilet, no bathroom and no hot water. The bombings had wrecked the sewers and drains and rats often came up into the yards and the street. It sounds like a deprived childhood, but to me it was magic.
[/quote]

I lived in one of those two prefabs (#21 Park St) from 1947 to 1957. I also enjoyed playing on the debris behind our house it was lots of fun and we didnt know how poor we were. Glad to know you remember that place.
Peter, now living in Canada.
Dan

Bootle Times August 5 1949

40th Royal Tank Regiment

Invicta

My Father served with them.
North Africa, Alamein etc, on through Italy, finished up in Greece. K
SouthportPhil

I have not been on here for a long time and am just thrilled to see those photos of Litherland Road. My mum, whose Dixon family lived at number 28, is thrilled too Bob. She is now 96! How can we obtain a print out of those two photos as it would make it easier for mum to see. Thanks again Bob and sorry for the delay in acknowledging this! Best Phil