Patrick Riley

Find Bootle friends and family here
losull1954

I am trying to out any find information about my grandfather Patrick Riley. According to his Merchant Navy discharge card, he was born in Bootle, Liverpool, in May 1888. On the 1901 census for Bootle cum Linacre, there is a Patrick Riley aged 13, living in Henry Street. At the time of his marriage in 1920 he was living at Holywell Street, Bootle. He was married in Barrow in Furness to my grandmother Jennie Nixon. They settled in Whitehaven,Cumberland.This is where he died in 1929.
I have been searching for his birth record,but up until now, have had no luck. I am hoping there might be someone who maybe might know something about the Riley family from Bootle.
Jan

Hi,

Welcome to the site,

Do you have a copy of Patrick's marriage cert? If so, could you give us his father's name and occupation please?

There is a possible Patrick Riley on the 1891 census in Bootle (Church Street) Mother Mary Anne Riley, married age 29 born Birkenhead
Richard Riley son age 6, Patrick son age 3, John son age 1. Also Margt McQuade mother-in law (could be Mary's mother) born Ireland, the children all born Bootle.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Jan

:D

Found the details of the 1901 census, father is Patrick Riley age 40 Ship's fireman, born Ireland.

I will see what else I can find.

Jan
Jan

Hi,

I found Patrick's sister's marriage (Margaret Alice Riley) in 1917 Bootle St Mary.

3rd March 1917 Thomas Charles Twist Bachelor age 25 Seaman Marine Fireman, address 29 Holywell St Bootle father Nicholas Twist (deceased) Labourer
Margaret Alice Riley spinster age 21 address 4 Holywell St Bootle father Patrick Riley (deceased) Marine Fireman

Witnesses: Thomas Webster Florence Porter.

I think Margaret Alice (Twist) re-married) 1922 to Henry C Johnson.

Hope that helps a bit

Jan
losull1954

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the welcome and information.

I do have a copy of their marriage certificate, his fathers name is down as Patrick Riley(deceased), occupation Mariner Merchant Service.

I do think all the info you have given me is my Patrick, but without a birth record I cannot be 100% sure, and I'm not sure whether to add this info to my Family Tree.

I have contacted all the registry offices in the area,looked at the free bmd website and the Lancashire bmd website.

I am beginning to think his birth was not registered. I do appreciate this did happen,sometimes, back then.

Thanks again

Lesley
Jan

Hi Lesley,

It could be a case that the birth wasn't registered.

However, I found these baptisms on the liverpoolhistoryprojects website for St Winifred Bootle

Year-Ref
Church
Volume (page)
Year of Birth
Year of Baptism
Forename
Surname
Forename of Father
Surname of Father (if different)
Forename of Mother
Maiden Name of Mother
For Full Details of this Baptism
1896-6358
ST WINIFRED
282-WIN-1-1 (23)
MARGARET ALICE
RILEY
PATRICK

MARY ANN
BURNS
REQUEST FORM
1900-6506
ST WINIFRED
282-WIN-1-1 (130)
MARY ANN
RILEY
PATRICK

MARY ANN
BURNS

If they are the baptisms of Patrick's sisters, notice the mother's maiden name as Burns, it could be that Mary's mother was Burns and perhaps re-married McQuaid.

I found this marriage 1877 Lancsbmd

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1877
Surname
Forename(s)
Surname
Forename(s)
Church / Register Office
Registers At
Reference
RILEY
Patrick
BURNS
Mary
West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended
Liverpool
REG_WD/83/167

The marriage took place at St James Bootle (info from liverpoolhistoryprojects website.

Year
Ref
Church
Forename
Latin Version
Surname
Spouse Forename
Latin Version
Spouse Surname
For Full Details of this Marriage
ST JAMES BOOTLE
PATRICK
PATRICIUM
RILEY
MARY
MARIAM
BURNS

If you go to the website http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co. ... riages.php and find the baptisms and the marriage, you can click on where it says request form and request the actual entries taken from the parish records I think they are about £3 each or all 3 for £10 or alternatively the records are on film reels at Liverpool Records Office or Crosby Library, you can get the print outs from the film reels for about £1 each.

Margaret Alice Riley's birth reg

Name:
Margaret Alice Riley
Registration Year:
Registration Quarter:
Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district:
West Derby
Parishes for this Registration District:
View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:
Lancashire
Volume:
8b
Page:

It may be worth getting a copy of Margaret's birth cert to confirm parents and the address and try and match it up to census records.

Jan
losull1954

Hi Jan,

Thank you very much for the information. So pleased.

I have a copy of Margarets birth certificate and it confirms both parents names as Patrick Riley and Mary Ann Burns.

I did think it was the wrong one, because I was looking for McQuaid as the mothers maiden name. I had not thought about her re-marrying.

I will have a look at the liverpoolhistoryprojects website.

Thank you again.

Lesley
Thommos sister

Just to say to Our Jan, well done lass for helping out here, great info and wombating. Brill T.S :D
Jack Riley

Hi lesley not sure how this works but my great grandads brother was Patrick riley from bootle married to Mary Ann Burns I'm not sure about Patrick but my nan and grandad had there ashes spread at St James in bootle I seen a comment saying this could have been there marriage location I think we are definitely related 🤣 distant but relative
losull1954

Hi Jack
Thank you for getting in touch, I was very pleased and surprised to receive your message.
I also think we are distantly related.
So, your great grandad was my great grandads (Patrick)brother. I do subscibe to Ancestry, but have no information at all about Patricks' siblings.
What was your great grandads name. If you dont mind I will add it to my Family Tree.

Patrick died at sea in 1908 aboard The Coronia.
I have plent of information on Patrick and Mary Anns' children I would be happy to share with you.

Thank you again for getting in touch.
Lesley