sterrix lane

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
kenswayken

Still say it was the Stand Park though

Keith[/quote]

Hi Keith, Merseyside Records Office refers to Strand Park for 1960/70
Cheers/K
Bonesy

kenswayken wrote:Still say it was the Stand Park though

Keith
Hi Keith, Merseyside Records Office refers to Strand Park for 1960/70
Cheers/K[/quote]

Oh ok Cuz, I Stand (no pun intended) :lol: corrected :oops:

Keith
kenswayken

It was my mate up there who checked it Cus, that kinda stuff is beyond me. Perhaps we'll have a drink there when we eventually meet up and I'll bring me boots to have a knockabout on The Greenie :lol: Ken
Bonesy

Ken Ill hold you to that. Only thing is the last time (4 years ago) I went to the Strand/Stand Park it was a DUMP & the Greenie is no more, there is now an Academy on it :cry: :shock:
Do you remember the Cocktail Lounge in The Strand had little bell pushes for waitress service :shock:

Keith
kenswayken

We were mostly in the "lounge" at the back left side, with our girls ordering snowballs whilst we drank pints of DD. I also remember the miserable man who ran it Mr Sedgewick.
Keith, do you remember the O'loughlins from Carr Meadow, just down from the shops, opposite side? Billy (my mate) David & Chris, nearer your age and sisters Mary & Carol. The lads were always good footballers and often graced the Greenie. Dave is a plasterer & Chris a brickie, both still in Bootle. Billy is an armature winder and lives on Netherton Green and just about retired. :wink: Ken
Bri

Keith, you've got me, spot on. I was actually born in the maisonette above the fruit shop (now removed). Went to Sterrix Primary huts (demolished), transferred to Dale Acre Drive (closed) then to Warwick Bolam (closed). Done my final school year in the Boys Grammar building when we amalgamated (now demolished). Played on "the greenie" (built on). Not much of my past left.

Bri
Bonesy

My mum Lil Jones on the right and "Queenie" Finnegan on the left outside of Lunts, "The Sweet Shop" on Carr Meadow Hey
kenswayken

Hi Keith, I have a vague (very) recollection of these Ladies to be honest "Queenie" is for familiar than Mum. Very nice pic, thanks. :) Ken
Bonesy

Ken, this photo was taken by me hence the poor quality late 60s early 70s.
They both still live in the same houses "Queenie" St Georges Grove, Mum in Mack Grove both Ford.
They are both now in there mid 80s and speak to each other EVERY day on the phone, but because of mobility issues have not seen each other for about 5 years.

Keith
jeand

Hi Keith, "Queenie" Finnegan is my friend's Mum Small world eh! JeanD
Bootle born and bred, ex Bootle Grammar School and Bootle Tech. Still living in Bootle.
BOBHAMO

Great photo keith was it the paper shop as well?? its a long time since i lived in ford cumberland ave left 1980
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Kathy John Moorcroft

Here is a pic I took in 2009.

Bob it was a Newsagents, when my brother had it about 76/77.

Kathy.
maureen lockley

Thank BOBHAMO,

for the lovely pics ,I lived in Randall Drive,
Loved Tonys chips and curry , I used to babysit the kids over
Marshall&Wheatch in the 50s,
Lunts sweatshop quarter of Dolly Mixtures ,
Used to get the 55 bus to school St Winnies bus ran once an hour then,
the mums and dads from Cooksons used to play football on the cornfield at the bottom of Randall drive I have an old photo will ask my daughter to post if for me as I am not so good on the computer,
Thank you again for the memories.
from
Maureen.
kenswayken

I'd love to see that photo Maureen - happy days eh ? :) Ken
jsands1

delete
Last edited by jsands1 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J Sands
daddyfixit

the army huts were also used by holy ghost, i went to the huts up to 1975, i think it was 2 years ??
teachers were mr fay--strict, miss atherton................cant remember the others.
we used to walk up the lane from the holy ghost to school, but ran down the other side of the road on the "hills" ---which have long gone.
there were the old air raid shelters at the edge of the school playground but we were under threat of death if we went in them !!!
maureen lockley

I got the cane five years of age st winnies from a nun,
thing was I was off sick when class was warned NOT to play in the air raid shelters I can still feel the pain and humiliation ,
The nuns could really whack it to you.
so glad children today do not have to go through what we did.
from
Maureen.
Slider

Cumberland Ave! I lived there until 1973 and never imagined I'd see a photo of It here. Thanks for the pictures and memories, they've joggled mine

The chemist on Carr Meadow Hey sold his patent cough mixture to us teenagers which we'd down on the Greenie and get smashed.

Tony and Marlene had the chippy, I think they were from Hong Kong, and the food was 5 star. My girlfriend and I babysat their kids occasionally.

Most of my school holidays I spent on the cut fishing and avoiding my mum til tea time.

Happy memories...
ALAMO2008

Remember playing in the sandpit of the Builders when they were building the Strand Park in the 50's on my way home from Sterrix Primary School.
Remember going to the Off Licence there in the 60's to get Lemonade and Crisps from the little front porch in the middle at the front.
Couldn't buy crisps in shops.
ALAMO2008

Remember playing in the sandpit of the Builders when they were building the Strand Park in the 50's on my way home from Sterrix Primary School.
Remember going to the Off Licence there in the 60's to get Lemonade and Crisps from the little front porch in the middle at the front.
Couldn't buy crisps in shops.
ALAMO2008

Bonesy wrote:Image
My mum Lil Jones on the right and "Queenie" Finnegan on the left outside of Lunts, "The Sweet Shop" on Carr Meadow Hey
Queenie was the Mum of my Best friend at School - Jimmy Finnegan

Queenie always made a fuss of me when I went in the shop.
Elaine Goulding

Keith, it is amazing Lil and Queenie still speak to each other every day over the phone but have not met for over five years due to mobility issues. If one of them can be wheeled or driven to the other who is immobile wouldn't it be lovely for them to meet after so many years. Would this be at all possible to arrange? I know it would really make me happy so no doubt Lil and Queenie would be over the moon. What a great friendship and a lovely story.
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
ALAMO2008

BOBHAMO wrote:Image
these are for all are ford members,
bobhamo
Remember being told by my Mum to throw my old bed mattress on the Bonfire on the Carr Meadow Hey Green. Remember me and my younger brother Steve struggling with it from Randall Drive, I must have been about 10 or 11 Steve about 7 or 8. Finally managed it, great bonfires every year there, no problems. Used to put Potatoes in the Ashes at the edge of the fire. Real Jacket Potatoes pre Baco Foil.
My Cousins Carol & Gillian Brown lived on the corner of Long Moss/Carr Meadow at number 16
Bonesy

Elaine Goulding wrote:Keith, it is amazing Lil and Queenie still speak to each other every day over the phone but have not met for over five years due to mobility issues. If one of them can be wheeled or driven to the other who is immobile wouldn't it be lovely for them to meet after so many years. Would this be at all possible to arrange? I know it would really make me happy so no doubt Lil and Queenie would be over the moon. What a great friendship and a lovely story.
Elaine, thanks for your concern but my original post was about 4 years ago and sadly my mum passed away in January 2014 but in the intervening years they did meet up.

Keith
Bootle Boy 1957

Fond memories of Sterrix Lane, went to School at Sterrix huts then over to Daleacre, Warwick Bolam , back to the Huts when the Warwick Bolam used them as the annex and finished school at the grammar school back of the Marion Square. Played football on the Greenie every spare minute I had great days. Left home 1979 for a game of football in Melbourne Still here. best wishes to all from Bootle/Liverpool
BossHogg

I moved onto Sterrix Lane in December 1982, I joined the army in February 1986 but still returned home when on leave. I left the army in January 1993 and returned to Sterrix Lane. I met my girlfriend (now wife) in Cumbria in 1996 before leaving Liverpool for good in 1997 to settle in Cumbria. I've only been back a couple of times in 20 years, the place has changed a lot!
BOBHAMO

Welcome Bootie Boy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bootle Boy 1957

BOBHAMO wrote:Welcome Bootie Boy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
Hi Bob, thanks for the welcome, its great to get onto this forum and read all the interesting post's and look at the fantastic Photos. did you ever play any football Bob a your name sounds very familiar, I played with the Catherine, Lawler , Sefton arms in the Sunday Crosby league and for Bootle FC in the Lancashire League wining it 1977 - 78. would be great to see posts from anyone who played in these leagues, some terrific players around then.
all the best Bob
Bootle Boy sunny Melbourne
BOBHAMO

Hi Bootle boy i did play in the sunday crosby league for the R,E,M.E
BOOTLE JOC ,for a number of teams , you must have been good
Bootle fc :D :D did you play with peter cumpsky a mate of mine
looks like i am a few years older :roll: :roll: :roll:
did play against salt box a few times took some stick from your barmaid supporters :lol: :lol:
linacre , metal box, moss united , litherland hotel vactite and at the end stand park
where a few teams i had ago with great times
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bootle Boy 1957

Hi Bob
yes I am sure I played with Peter at Bootle, maybe he cam e a year later or so. I played with John O'Leary Booby Own two smashing players, I was only a kid then, Peter also played for the Eden Vale I think, along with Gerry Jones, Vinnie Jazz Speed etc., they were a good side. some good battles with them at Buckley Hill or at Marines ground when we where lucky to get into a final. my Name is John Cullen from the Ford estate, great reading all the memories from everyone very fond memories of Home always look forward to coming home when I can. Take care Bob.
Eddy Lloyd

Hi and welcome John, you must have played with my cousin. Tony Meakin who played for the Vale. If you go to the first topic on the forum homepage 'Talk about the history of Bootle here' There is a dedicated thread about the Bootle J.O.C. Lots of great pictures on there.
Bootle Boy 1957

Hi Eddy

Yes I know Tony, he's mates with my mate here in OZ Jimmy Griffiths, a couple of years older than me, Good players in that Eden Vale Side back then, I pop in when home to the vale and often have a pint with Gerry Jones.
thanks for the 'Talk about the history of Bootle here' link some great photos and stories I could read all the history all day,
Take care Eddy and again thanks for the post's
bernie johno

great pub had many a good day ,night there when jimmy ashton had it good family pub had my dads 70th in the bar with davey law as the turn great memories :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
billygooner

hi Bernie,sorry to hear I believe davy law in bad health now. regards billy.
Neeenah

Bonesy wrote:Image

Do you have any other pictures of Queenie? I'd love to see her at her prime