Bootle

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
filsgreen

I've started this thread so that I do not corrupt Bernie's last thread anymore with my observations. Hopefully, the alleged demise of Bootle over the past sixty years can be discussed further. Although, if anybody wants to discuss anything else along the way, please feel free.

Bernie's Lime Street photos juxtaposed nicely with his previous photos portraying Stanley Road, in that they both represent change. Ernie and Elaine both contend that Bootle has deteriorated, to the detriment of its residents and itself.

Recently we had the opinions voiced by Merseyside residents, stating that the demolition of that area of Lime Street was a bad thing and would be detrimental to the area.

The contention that Bootle had deteriorated and the planned changes of Lime Street; I feel represent the both sides of the same coin.

There is no doubt that Bootle has gone through the doldrums in previous years, but is now emerging as a vibrant town. Yes there are still areas that are awaiting development, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

You only have to see the bright new houses built on the Klondike and the Tannery to see how far Orrell has flourished. I decried the demolition of Orrell school and the terraced houses in the Klondike area, in much the same way as the Lime Street protesters complained about the demolition of the Futurist.

I would venture that both protestations were borne out of nostalgia. Even though I probably hadn't set foot on the Klondike streets for over thirty years; I wanted them left as they were.

In hindsight, a very selfish thought. It's alright for me to have two toilets in my home, but the people who resided in Staley or Mona Street would have to have endured their poor standard of housing, just so that my nostalgic thoughts can be maintained.

Ernie and Elaine, both remember Bootle as a bright, litter free, safe place to be brought up in. But now see it, based on visits and second hand opinions, as a shuttered up, crime ridden place where the streets are littered with detritus.

Yes, there is litter and dog muck decorating the streets, but remember this, the people who do not care about their community are the same people who are probably related to people on this forum.

I can see you now, reaching for the keyboard to defend your innocence in all this, declaring that your children and grandchildren would never drop litter or not clean up their dog muck. More than likely my assertion is totally wrong, but it's somebody's relative in Bootle who is dropping litter and letting their dog foul the streets.

I cycle and walk about Bootle and I do not feel threatened in my environment, yet Elaine felt scared when she visited years ago, in the area she was brought up in. This is probably normal, because although she was a native of Bootle; she had become a stranger.

I agree with Elaine that not just Bootle but the whole of the UK is one large litter bin. National pride still exists, but is drowning In a sea of indifference. There are lots of people in the UK who care about their environment, with Prospice being the most vocal on this forum.

Coming from Canada, Elaine saw the stark difference in attitude to civic pride. My visits to Toronto, Ottawa Montreal and Niagra on the Lake demonstrated the pride Canadians had in their country. These areas were impeccable and although downtown Toronto had its share of litter, it was nothing compared to London.

Her observations, also brought to mind my experiences of being dropped off at a Los Angeles bus station in the 80's. To say I thought I was going to get mugged at any time, would have been an understatement. Yet there was this little old lady going about her business without a care in the world; she didn't feel threatened because she was probably a Los Angeles resident.

I've lived in Bootle/Litherland for most of my life and have seen many changes during my lifetime and form my opinions based on those experiences. Our expat members form their opinions based on occasional visits, probably the opinions of their relatives who still live in the area and the invaluable information gleaned through this forum from the likes of Bernie and Alan, who are recording the daily changes in Bootle via their cameras.

How can they not when they do not live in the area? Both sets of opinions are valid, but whose are contemporary and first hand? As Ernie has opined, the written word does not convey the full story. I would contend that a picture does not portray the innocence/danger of the the environment it's captured.

My texting finger is burnt out now, so I'll leave it there. I'll continue another time.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

I have found the general discussions very interesting and have taken aboard that I may well see things as I thought they were through rose coloured glass....and loss of memory.

Whilst we all talk of Bootle as a town I have just come to realise that although I was, as a kid, a Bootle lad, I really only saw Bianca Street and that is where my childhood memories lie. Marsh Lane was a place a long way away and I never even saw it till I was seventeen. That was in the days of dancing, if you didn't dance then you never did the last waltz so never got a girl. I will never forget the wonderful balmy Sunday nights at St Jimmies.

So, as a child, I am not really qualified to discus how Bootle was. I just remember how Bianca Street and nearby Stanley Road was and it was wonderful.

I can't remember litter but that may be because we didn't have any, except for chips and fish paper.

There go my rose coloured glasses again.?
Marie777

I don't wish to become embroiled in a free for all
If it's OK with all concerned, I would just like to "stick up" for a street were I spent many
Happy years from 1938 until 1969 I am thinking back to all the ladies, with their buckets of
Hot water boiled in pans and kettles on the gas ring, patiently scrubbing the steps and pavements, polishing the brass and then getting ready for the evening meal, the children,me being one of them, coming home from school,straight to the cupboard for whatever was there to eat while dinner was cooking.Calling for friends and chatting to their mothers while they finished whatever they were doing, I just can‘t remember one mother who was at work at that time maybe it's a memory lapse,but that's how it was to me.

No story to tell of the children not being safe because of the traffic, there was very little, cars belonged to people with money. We, the girls played rounders,the boys football and the young ones never got lost, if they did nobody panicked and thought somebody had taken them. We would go out looking and find them within minutes. The park was a favourite place to play, I may be wearing those "rose colored glasses"but I never felt unsafe anywhere.OK Maybe the bridge by the Danish Bacon was a bit scary but that was because of the steam from the engines leaving Kirkdale Station.

Sorry no time for more but it would take a week to tell of all the fun and good times in OLIVIA
STREET. Yes it was a back yard toilet, scrubbed until the wood was white, and a bath hanging on a nail on the back yard wall. Yes, we had many uses for the Liverpool Echo and would I change anything if I could, NO not a thing. I am so grateful for the memories the education in knowing how to cope, it has come in handy over the years. Thank you for reading. Just saw this as an opportunity to express the pleasure I feel when reminded of my childhood days. Not intending to agree or disagree with anybody. It was My Way.

Marie
Shelagh

Phil..you must be worn out after all that texting..phew!

Just want to add, not just those who have moved away from the area having memories of a decent environment, showed that picture to my husband, he says, he can remember the road being lined with shops..no shutters, or caged windows!
Probably an age thing..different memories apply to different age groups..
Ernie was born about 1934, so if you look at the black and white photos from that era,
you'll see a notable difference in road and street appearance..well swept, no graffiti, no vandalism, only damage/destruction witnessed is from thirties/forties photos, and that was brought about by German Bombers!!
We all have a different view of the past, and environment we grew up in..probably some will see through rose tinted glasses, others very clear memories!
People born mid fifties/sixties or later will have different memories altogether..but still recall a better environment than they see now..just an opinion :)

P.S. Couldn't see anything wrong with Ernie's original comment, thought the wording was clear, precise, and diplomatic!!

P.P.S. Lovely reading Marie 777.. Need More Of That History :D
Brunnyboy

keep moving forward better cars better homes but punish crime no discipline these days
filsgreen

Good morning Shelagh, it's hard using an iPhone :D

Marie, I'm sorry that you feel that you may embroil yourself in this conversation; I never intend any of my posts to be argumentative. Thank you for your memories, it was kind of you to share them with us.

I think that we all felt safe growing up in Bootle, not because of the place, but because we were practically fearless. None of the bad things that happened to other kids, would every happen to us! And in the most part we come out the other end virtually unscathed.

Yes, there were casualties along the way, kids drowned in the canal and got electrocuted on the railway. My brother got run over by the L2, but lived to retire from the prison service after 30 odd years.

Thinking back to the 60's, were they safe times, or were we just lucky? After all, this was the time of Myra Hindley. Bad things happened in them days, but were not covered at the time by 24 hour news networks.

Ernie, Shelagh; I will have to concede to your assertion that Bootle was a tidier place when you were kids, than when it was when I was a child in the 60's. Looking through the archive of pictures on this forum; I have not found one that shows litter on the road. As you have said Shelagh, it must be an age thing.

Finally, my thumb can't take much more :D Alan, your contention that we need more discipline is spot on, but alas, your protestations will fall on deaf ears. We do not have the prison capacity to cope with all the criminals in this country, neither do we have the staff to manage them.

Anyway goodnight all and thank you for posting on the forum, your contributions have certainly took my mind off the terrible man flu that I have been suffering with for the past few weeks. :D
Mack
Site Admin

BTW, This is a great thread.

I will probably move this thread over to our "Talk About the History of Bootle" section soon for posterity / future reading so it does not get lost in "Chat About Anything".

It's such a simple title "Bootle" with so much to discuss re: "PAST - PRESENT - FUTURE".

All our discussions raise debate, discussions, arguments, disagreements, conflict, happiness, sadness.

For old audio interviews from residents and ex pats from Bootle visit - http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/bootle-archive.htm

I'll keep an eye on this one and move it over soon to save it there :wink:

Mack.

Carry on folks... I'm like a cloud in the sky floating past :wink:
Shelagh

Not man flu Phil, if it's lasted for weeks..best cure for you..level teaspoon of turmeric (organic is best) mixed with half teaspoon black pepper corn..sprinkle over each meal or mix with warm water to drink! cures everything..even used by some cancer patients..just google!
Get well very soon :-)
filsgreen

Thank you Shelagh; I'll try that. I'm using lemon juice and hot water for the first time ever and it actually works as a decongestant :)
Invicta

Shelagh wrote:Not man flu Phil, if it's lasted for weeks..best cure for you..level teaspoon of turmeric (organic is best) mixed with half teaspoon black pepper corn..sprinkle over each meal or mix with warm water to drink! cures everything..even used by some cancer patients..just google!
Get well very soon :-)
You are right Shelagh, my pal in Dallas Tx is on a trial with the local hospital using Turmeric following his Prostate cancer operation. So far the results are "encouraging " his words.

Phil, I can't take Lemsips or such so the old Hot Toddy for me!
A good belt of Scotch, slice of lemon, honey & cloves with hot water. It seems to work
For half an hour then I need another. Keep topped up is the secret :lol: Ken
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

This is very interesting to me as I am a hot toddy man and sometimes look forward to having flu so I can have some. :D The interesting bit is perhaps the scotch isn't the ingredient that cures??? Of course I wont let my wife see this observation. :roll:
filsgreen

:D :D I only like Southern Comfort, ken, would it work with that?
Bonesy

All was not rosie back in the day.
In 1953 when my dad returned from the Korean war he brought back with him a full blown authentic cowboy outfit for his 7 year old son my older brother, I was yet to born for another 12 months.
They lived in Markfield Road at the time with North park at the top of the road. Apparently it was deemed OK back then for a 7 year old to go park on his own.
On this particular occasion my brother went to the park dressed in his cowboy outfit complete with guns and holster.
He had not been gone 10-15 mins when he was stopped by a policeman running home across Knowsley Rd in just his undies.
My brother had been dragged into bushes stripped of his cowboy outfit and sexually assaulted by 2 men. My brother is now 70 and still bears the mental scars of that attack.
Three months later the family moved from Bootle to a brand new house in Ford where I was born.

Keith
filsgreen

Thank you for sharing that horrific story, Keith. I'd bet there were an awful lot more similar stories that never got reported, because people felt too embarrassed.
Bonesy

Thanks Phil. You are correct in saying it was never reported but my dad and his brothers from Bedford Rd found the culprits both from Bootle and needless to say received a lesson in life and I doubt they ever assaulted another child :evil:

Keith
bernie johno

Powerful story Keith must of been hard sharing this mate.bernie
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
Bonesy

Bernie mate x

Keith
Patricia

Reading the interesting stories of various Forum Friends, I can relate to all of it.
I can certainly see where Ernie is coming from - there is a lot of nostalgia
associated with our memories especially when one has left Bootle many years
ago, which I tend to cling to as my way of identity.

When my eldest daughter visited a couple of years ago I asked her take a photo
of the home I grew up in and I can tell you it was such a comfort to see it
looking just like I knew it many years ago. :D

However, life was not always a "Bed of Roses" I distinctly remember on the way to school
one afternoon on Harris Drive near Springwell Road, a chap coming towards me that
had exposed himself as he was walking past me. Being 12 year of age at that time it was
really frightening. Glad to say he kept on walking the other way!!! 99+9% of the time as
life growing up, I wouldn't change for one minute!!

One must also remember the tremendous amount of increase in the population over the
years which has certainly made such a difference to life as a whole.

This was taken about 3 years ago!
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

So sorry to read of you terrible family time Keith. I was still in the Air Force when that happened but despite my career later in life I feel that your family dealt with it in the right way.

I thought this small excerpt from my published autobiography might be an easier way to describe my terrible memory of an incident when I was 7 or 8 years old, not nearly as bad as yours but something which will be in my memory till the day I die.

Many on the site have already read this but it will be new to others and I think this 'BOOTLE' thread is a good place to record it.
..................................................................................................................................................

The front door of my house was open, as usual, and I ran through and down the hallway and into the lounge, suddenly stopping in my tracks as I saw my dad sitting in the far corner of the sparsely furnished room.

Why was he home so soon. Where was mum.

He was sobbing quietly, his head in his hands. His cap was on the linoleum floor and he wore his usual, grubby, check shirt with curled up worn collar, long sleeves rolled up above the elbows, and a black waistcoat. His black trousers were shiny with wear and
tucked into his socks. His heavy, worn, boots bore the grime of his work on the docks and the leather on the toecaps was scarred and scuffed. He lifted his head, saw it was me, and said “Bud. I did a terrible, terrible thing last night”.

I stood silently and confused as my world began to disintegrate and my wonderful day was forgotten in that single moment. I saw my dad was crying and I was engulfed with
remorse. My bottom lip began to quiver as I stood with my hands clasped low down in front of me, my head down and viewing my hitherto un-noticed cut knee and, for the first time, seeing that one of my socks has slipped down to the ankle. It was all unimportant as the tears began to fall and I rushed across to my dad to comfort him. I climbed on his knee and put my bare arms around his neck. I kissed his cheek, felt the stubble of his beard on my lips and welcomed the pleasant smell of his perspiration in my nostrils.

“Please dad. Don’t cry. Don’t cry.

But we sobbed together and held each other tightly as he rocked slowly back and forth. I felt his warm tears on my face.

I was a small twig surrounded by the love and protection of a great oak and his sadness was mine to share.

Dad was 41 years of age, about five feet ten inches tall and 190 pounds, almost all solid muscle. He had been a champion swimmer and a promising amateur boxer in his youth
and there were photographs to prove it. His hair was brown, crew cut, receding from the
temples, and graying at the sides. I remember he always had lines across his fore-head which were accentuated when he raised his eyebrows when he was curious. He knew my mum as Fluff and us kids as Barb and Bud, worked every hour God could send to
provide for us and, unlike some of his counterparts, would never, ever walk over the threshold of the local Pawnshop.

But what was this terrible thing he had done.

We sobbed for several minutes until he finally drew out his crumpled hankie, wiped my eyes and then his own. “I hit your mum and I am so, so ashamed but I couldn’t help it.
When you’re a man you will understand and I hope you will forgive me. She is at Mary O’Brians house waiting for you. You must go to her”

His words shocked me and he was right, I didn’t understand. I needed to go to her so climbed from his knee and, without speaking, ran from the house.

Night time was coming as I ran through the darkening streets and my young mind was in turmoil. I could not understand. It had been a great day, the best day of my life, but it was all so unimportant now.

I love my dad. I love my mum. What can I do.

I was in utter panic and didn’t understand.

What has he done. What has he done.

The front door was opened in response to my timid knock and Mrs. O’Brian dramatically ushered me into the hallway. I was alarmed but unsuspecting when, without any words prepare me, she showed me into her front room and closed the door behind me, leaving me alone.

The shadowy room was lit only by a single lamp. I could detect someone was seated near to the window with their back to me as I entered and stood quietly and nervously. Suddenly it turned around dramatically and it was a monster.

I screamed with fear as I saw a grotesque, black and blue bruised face with two bloodshot eyes peering at me through, what had become slits. The lips were thick, raw and pouted with several vertical, blood red, splits, so that the sore mouth was part open and there was a missing front tooth. There were two lumps as big as golf balls on the side of the forehead and the nose was flat and broken, with blood still seeping from the painful nostrils. I was in great, almost unbearable, fear of this monster and about to turn and run when it spoke, almost unintelligibly, and in a croaked whisper “Please don’t cry son. It’s me. I’m your mum” Tears began to fall from her eyes as my own tears continued but now through recognition, remorse and awful sadness, as I was no longer in fear. This was my mum. I loved her and always would. The awful wounds became inconsequential as we gently held each other comforting, comforting, for minutes.

Then, forgetting her painful lips she suddenly and bitterly snapped out. “Your dad did
this to me. I was just kissing a man under the bridge. I know I was wrong but I didn’t
deserve this. I will never forgive him and I can never go back”.

Her bitter words made my heart ache even more as we held each other in that dark room so different to home. I wanted it all to become good again, like it had always been, just us four, but it seemed impossible and the more I thought the worse it was. I have always had
my dad to turn to for help and advice but who can I turn to now? It will take so long for me to become a man so I can understand.
Bonesy

Thanks Ernie, I do remember that passage from your excellent book, that must have been a terrible experience for you.

I lent my copy of your book to a friend about 3 years ago it was then passed on to at least half a dozen others who I am told all enjoyed it.
I never did get it back BTW.

Keith
filsgreen

I've still got Ernie's book if you want to read it again, Keith.
Elaine Goulding

I too read your book Ernie, what a dreadful experience at such a tender age.
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
lily8

Hi Keith sorry to hear about your bro and yes the child victims memories stay forever, my uncle was a policeman and served for a period with the Parks Police. As my mum was often ill I stayed many times with my Great Aunt where my uncle also lived, and I remember him and her discussing his work and events in the parks when they thought little me wasn't listening. Being small I did not know what the words like rape, paedophiles, homosexuals etc meant at 7 or so one doesn't. But it must have been pretty rife to have a dedicated force, such things were not openly talked about in the 50's and 60's.
Lily
lynne99

Just a thought. Perhaps the lack of talking about it made it seem as if id didn't happen.
Marie777

That must be true in my case Lynn because I didn't hear any of those words and would have had the dictionary out, curiosity was my nick name

Tops and whip,Ollie's, marbles to some and horse chestnuts on a string, Mr Higham bringing the whole street together by playing the piano. Frank somebody, can't remember his surname coming out of the entry in a Silver Cross pram singing Rosie You Are My Posie.His friend pushing it.No wonder I love Bootle all my memories are happy ones.And don't forget this was Bootle after a war that had almost wiped us off the map.

Going back to sleep.

Marie.
Shelagh

Such a heinous crime Keith, and committed against a defenceless child..so wicked!
How you all came through is testimony to the strength of you're loving parents!

Great stories Marie..especially man in pram singing :D sounds like you had some laughs back then :D
oriel55

filsgreen wrote:I've started this thread so that I do not corrupt Bernie's last thread anymore with my observations. Hopefully, the alleged demise of Bootle over the past sixty years can be discussed further. Although, if anybody wants to discuss anything else along the way, please feel free.

Bernie's Lime Street photos juxtaposed nicely with his previous photos portraying Stanley Road, in that they both represent change. Ernie and Elaine both contend that Bootle has deteriorated, to the detriment of its residents and itself.

Recently we had the opinions voiced by Merseyside residents, stating that the demolition of that area of Lime Street was a bad thing and would be detrimental to the area.

The contention that Bootle had deteriorated and the planned changes of Lime Street; I feel represent the both sides of the same coin.

There is no doubt that Bootle has gone through the doldrums in previous years, but is now emerging as a vibrant town. Yes there are still areas that are awaiting development, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

You only have to see the bright new houses built on the Klondike and the Tannery to see how far Orrell has flourished. I decried the demolition of Orrell school and the terraced houses in the Klondike area, in much the same way as the Lime Street protesters complained about the demolition of the Futurist.

I would venture that both protestations were borne out of nostalgia. Even though I probably hadn't set foot on the Klondike streets for over thirty years; I wanted them left as they were.

In hindsight, a very selfish thought. It's alright for me to have two toilets in my home, but the people who resided in Staley or Mona Street would have to have endured their poor standard of housing, just so that my nostalgic thoughts can be maintained.

Ernie and Elaine, both remember Bootle as a bright, litter free, safe place to be brought up in. But now see it, based on visits and second hand opinions, as a shuttered up, crime ridden place where the streets are littered with detritus.

Yes, there is litter and dog muck decorating the streets, but remember this, the people who do not care about their community are the same people who are probably related to people on this forum.

I can see you now, reaching for the keyboard to defend your innocence in all this, declaring that your children and grandchildren would never drop litter or not clean up their dog muck. More than likely my assertion is totally wrong, but it's somebody's relative in Bootle who is dropping litter and letting their dog foul the streets.

I cycle and walk about Bootle and I do not feel threatened in my environment, yet Elaine felt scared when she visited years ago, in the area she was brought up in. This is probably normal, because although she was a native of Bootle; she had become a stranger.

I agree with Elaine that not just Bootle but the whole of the UK is one large litter bin. National pride still exists, but is drowning In a sea of indifference. There are lots of people in the UK who care about their environment, with Prospice being the most vocal on this forum.

Coming from Canada, Elaine saw the stark difference in attitude to civic pride. My visits to Toronto, Ottawa Montreal and Niagra on the Lake demonstrated the pride Canadians had in their country. These areas were impeccable and although downtown Toronto had its share of litter, it was nothing compared to London.

Her observations, also brought to mind my experiences of being dropped off at a Los Angeles bus station in the 80's. To say I thought I was going to get mugged at any time, would have been an understatement. Yet there was this little old lady going about her business without a care in the world; she didn't feel threatened because she was probably a Los Angeles resident.

I've lived in Bootle/Litherland for most of my life and have seen many changes during my lifetime and form my opinions based on those experiences. Our expat members form their opinions based on occasional visits, probably the opinions of their relatives who still live in the area and the invaluable information gleaned through this forum from the likes of Bernie and Alan, who are recording the daily changes in Bootle via their cameras.

How can they not when they do not live in the area? Both sets of opinions are valid, but whose are contemporary and first hand? As Ernie has opined, the written word does not convey the full story. I would contend that a picture does not portray the innocence/danger of the the environment it's captured.

My texting finger is burnt out now, so I'll leave it there. I'll continue another time.
I love your words of wisdom, they are spot on. I have travelled the world since I left Bootle in 1963, but I still visit every year at least once. One thing still stands the test of time. People will still stop and talk to you if you engage them in conversation.
lynne99

Last time I went I asked someone where to get a bus from. As it happens he was a recent immigrant and did not know, but in true Liverpool spirit , he took me to find someone who would. :D Brilliant. Being kind is catching
Invicta

Reading in the Echo about the proposed redevelopment of Daniel House .
Roof top restaurant and swimming pool with life style apartments.
Why not, the spread North of fancy developments along the riverside must reach Bootle eventually? Put me down for one. :D Ken
bernie johno

http://signatureresidential.co.uk/prope ... iel-house/
the link for info on daniel house it is on stanley rd not too close to the river but probably views from the rooftop :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
filsgreen

Those prices aren't bad at all, considering that Sky and all bills are included.
Invicta

Very reasonable but I'll wait for a riverside development. Worth using when I bring the Family up though.
Thanks for posting Bernie.
All the best
Ken