Stables near Coffee House Bridge 1903

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
gibbo65

I am looking for help with details about some stables located near to Coffee House Bridge over the Leeds LIvepool canal around 1903.
The buildings may have been owned or rented by Alice Young ( nee Jones or Warner-Jones) or Robert Young.
I have a few maps of around that time but cannot locate the stables which i assume either serviced the canal horses or perhaps joined onto a coach house.
Any help or direction would be welcome Thank you.
henry

I do know that there was stables off bank road which was adjacent to the canal by coffee house bridge and possibly demolished about 1956/7
ALSO WITH BANK ROAD WAS ASHCROFT STREET
Last edited by henry on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Also maybe Danny Lewis may have more info as he lived by them
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
bob. b

Will ask my uncle Joey he may remember something on this. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Proctors come to mind at the bottom of canal street by coffee house bridge.
Maybe Bobhamo will have info on this.
My uncle Bob passed away this year 94 he had all the information around canal street and coffee house bridge.
Regards Bob Great post.
gibbo65

Thank you both for those street names it gives me a much smaller area to look into and at least I can identify the streets on the map I have. If anything else comes up please let me know. Thanks again.
BOBHAMO

hi and welcome :D :D
the house on the corner which the Noon family lived
i am sure there where stables there the yard was a coal wharf 1900ish
on most of the maps i have no stables are pinpionted but that does not mean there where
non around up to the sixties there where horses used by the milkman and coalman ,and ragman :D :D :D :D
so lots of bootle streets had horses
looking in the 1900 dir
there is a Robert Young 1 foley street blacksmith
Robert Young 87 foley street carter
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
gibbo65

Hi Bobhamo, thanks for the details i'll look into the Foley Street connections with Robert Young as soon as i can. The Robert Young i am after is my great grandfather but the only lead i had was the stables in 1903 so you have possibly taken me a step further.
best wishes gibbo65
bob. b

Has Bob said there were horses in JRT canal st also berry st Michelle's the rag and bone place ?
john j connell

bob. b wrote:Has Bob said there were horses in JRT canal st also berry st Michelle's the rag and bone place ?
John Packenham had a yard at the bottom of Ashcroft St/Bank Rd where he stored the scrap metal (mostly old gas cookers) also in the yard was a stable block that was used to house several donkeys that pulled the rag and bone carts, (it was known locally as little Melwood) JJC.
dannylewis

Hi Henry your right we lived in no2 Bank Cottages off Bank rd , i remember the stables well they were at the bottom of our rd , we played in them many times as kids the ragmen would leave there carts there , Bank Cottages were very poor houses it was tough growning up there but many a good time , Sad times were 3 young lads killed in the canal and railway . .
WatsonTommy

danny my aunt molly (hogan) lived in bank cottages she married dominic mooney fronm brook road also tommy and gwen morgan/jimmy brown /the burks :?: lived about no6 on the pub side :?: the two gate post in the photo (the girl with the pram)that went onto the canal bank were procters kept some of their big carts,,the bridge mahogany timber yard over the road, were they had trees cut into slices we threw them into the canal has rafts and played pirates all daylong never got bored them days not as today sitting in room playing with computers, i remmember mr packenham we called it packys little fat man looked like burl ivesi would walk down talbot street over the railwy brige at brook road ( the asda) to bank cottages to see me aunty molly but procters had a big stables canal st also there were stables all around that area then we played in packy scrap yard the the iron bridge were we had a rope tied to it and on the canal and would along the canal towards the strand and the appleltons or appelbys flower mill all the barges tied up you went up some steps by carolina st and you were on stanley road were the post office is now hope this might help dan
dannylewis

Your right in every word Tommy , i just dont know how nine of us lived in that little 2 up 2 down , just a cold tap , bath on the backyard wall . I surpose we w were not the only ones who had a tough time in those early years , every time i go over the Coffee House Bridge the memories come flooding back . Danny