Tate and Lyle

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
beardedpapa

I have a strong recollection of a visit to the Tate and Lyle factory down by the docks around 1953. This was I believe organised by and during my time at Bootle Tech. It made a strong impression on me at the time (I was about 14) and may well have been the catalyst that set me on my future career in industry.

I understand the factory closed down some time in the 80's but I would like to know if the buildings were retained and converted. Also what was the location

beardedpapa
Born in Walton Hospital, lived in Bala St and then Bowden St Litherland. Now in Brisbane Australia
filsgreen

A quick internet search brought up this web page BP.

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/tag/tate-and-lyle/

I cannot give you any personal anecdotes about the factory or the building.
beardedpapa

Hi filsgreeen

Thanks for the posting, nice clear picture and interesting write up. There were two further links highlighted in the comments, one doesn't work but the second one does, Love Lane Lives, I am just starting to explore that.

beardedpapa
Born in Walton Hospital, lived in Bala St and then Bowden St Litherland. Now in Brisbane Australia
billygooner

hi beardedpapa, I went on the same trip from the tec 1955, the tate warehouse was arched shaped the biggest free standing building on Merseyside and is still standing, the sugar used to travel on a conveyor over the dock road .I attended the tec 1955-1957 then a further 3years (1day and 2nights) on a national course in mechanical engineering.regards billy.
beardedpapa

Hi Billy

Sound like we had a similar journey. After I did the two years full time which finished in 1955 I did 3 years part time doing the Ordinary National Certificate in Mechanical Engineering and then a further two years part time at Liverpool Tech (as it was then in Byron St) doing the Higher National.

Seems like we just missed each other

beardedpapa (David)
billygooner

Hi David,i did not go for the higher, got married instead(no regrets), served my time in lairds and spent the next 46 years in engineering, tossed on the scrap heap at 67yrs.dont think there are many engineers working in Liverpool now.regards billy.