John Parkinson

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
AKL

In 1876, John Parkinson, lived and died at 29 Cranworth Street, Bootle. This cannot be found on google maps so I assume it has been demolished and redeveloped.
I would like to find a map that shows the location and, if possible, images that show the area so we can shed some light on this interesting person in our family's history. He would be my Great-Great-grandfather. Any other interesting facts would be greatly appreciated, or even contact with one of his descendants!
JP was a cotton manufacture who died aged 48. He had a relationship with a lady in Leyland and a son was born, John Parkinson Whiteside. John was brought up with his mother and they all lived with her parents for many years.
JPW later played cricket for Lancashire then moved, with his wife, to be wicket keeper for Leicestershire, and I believe, played in some international matches. After retirement JPW was on the staff at Lords.
JPW never revealed his illegitimate birth and the fact has only come to light when I cleared my Father's house and discovered some interesting boxes of paperwork which were his and they had been passed to my Grandmother, his daughter, then to my Father. In addition a relative in Chicago, who traced me via family history sites, helped but the pieces together!. JPW obviously maintained some level of contact with his Father as this is reflected in the paperwork. So we are keen to know more!
nicolas

Try this - it dates from 1907, use mouse to zoom in or move around, I had a quick search, its off Rimrose Road, next to Grove Street.
Check out the section - Change transparency of overlay, blue dot, for present day!

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14 ... yers=6&b=1
BOBHAMO

welcome AKL.Cranworth street built 1871 ,demolished 1950,Anderson ave was built now demolished
will do a bit of research :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

In 1860 John Parkinson ,hamilton, ingleby where cotton brokers 14 tighebarn street
1870 John Parkinson .ingleby, where at the same address
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
AKL

Thank you! The map was great.
A great start, giving me a lot to follow up.
Does anyone know if there is a directory or similar that covers businesses in the area so I can follow this lead? There were lots of John Parkinsons around at the time but you never know!
I am visiting JPs grave in Southport at the end of the month. If the headstone is still standing, that might give me more clues to other family members and help us identify this JP further. I will also will be sending for his death cert which may help.
BOBHAMO

the top index is bootle 1870 there is a john in berry street
on the bottom index 1860 there is a mary hemer terrace
which is one road away from cranworth street
pity he died before 1881 would be more info
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
AKL

Thank you again.
Definitely need to narrow things down so looking forward to the Southport trip. Really hoping there is something that helps us! It is amazing there are so may John Parkinsons in the area.
AKL

In the 1870s which district is Bootle covered by?
Searches for the death cert are proving hard so this might show if I am looking in the correct area. Of course he may have died when he was away form home..............

He is listed as a cotton manufacture which seems wrong for Bootle. Many trades connected with cotton but not manufacturing. Was he at the port to buy cotton but lived further afield hence how he met the mother of JPW?

So many questions!
bjones

AKL wrote:In the 1870s which district is Bootle covered by?
Searches for the death cert are proving hard so this might show if I am looking in the correct area. Of course he may have died when he was away form home..............

He is listed as a cotton manufacture which seems wrong for Bootle. Many trades connected with cotton but not manufacturing. Was he at the port to buy cotton but lived further afield hence how he met the mother of JPW?

So many questions!
Just a couple of thoughts;
i. Most north of Liverpool city centre (including Bootle) births, marriages and deaths for the period are registered as "West Derby". A quick search using the name, year of death and key word "Bootle" produced the following;
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/search/r ... ord=bootle
First one died aged 48 so looks likely.
ii. Bob Hammo's listing gives Parkinson Ingleby & Co Cotton BROKER i.e. NOT manufacturer. The address in Tithebarn St is right in the heart of the Liverpool commercial area so totally consistant with brokering of the many commodities passing through the docks in those days.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
AKL

Thank you very much indeed!

The listing does look good so will order that soon.

The reason why I thought JP was a cotton manufacturer, rather than a broker, is based on the info sent to me when I located his grave in Southport. It states his profession as a cotton manufacturer of 29 Cranworth Street, hence why I thought he was out of area. Perhaps he has family connections to the brokers.

If the cause of death was sudden, then I wondered if he was here for business reasons and lodging in the area. The other point is that he died in Bootle and is buried in Southport. A fair distance then, so why?

The word manufacturer also implies more management than worker. It could explain the burial in Southport and the fact he did not marry the mother of his child, (marrying beneath him and the family would not allow as she was working class), but he still cared enough to remain in contact with his child.

I think the visit to the grave will tell us much -his possible wealth as well as possible family.
bjones

A copy of the death cert will confirm profession and also give name and details of person who informed of the death - this could give you another avenue to explore.
That he had a child with a Leyland lady gives weight to your thoughts that he may have travelled around with his work.
Southport burial could be due to family already owning the grave at the time of John's death, perhaps it was his parents' plot.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Jan

Hi AKL,

Did John Parkinson Whiteside marry Mary Alice Simpson at St Thomas Preston 10th May 1883?

The marriage is on ancestry site, JPW has his father's name as John Whiteside (deceased), occupation Traveller.

I found JPW on the 1911 census living in Leicester 13 Aylestone Road, occupation Professional Cricketer.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
AKL

Yes, that is the correct marriage. I have JPWs original birth, death and marriage certs.
However it is rather economical with the truth. John Whiteside was his Granthfathers name, not his birth Fathers.
John W's oldest child was JPWs mother. She lived with her parents and JPW grew up with her youngest siblings. He continued leaving with his Grandparents until his teens.
So we have been trying to work out who the real father was. Documents I found have helped provide the clues that have got us this far.
It would have helped if the name had been less common! Hopefully clues in the graveyard may help lead us to more details.
AKL

..........the Leicester address is also the same person. He lived in this areas until his death. After retirement from cricket he opened the only dedicated sports shop in Leicester at that time, very near to this address.

His life is very well documented from his marriage onwards, they're are many documents covering many aspects of his life. Its just those mysterious early years!

Thanks again!
Jan

Hi AKL,

Yes I found the family in 1871 census.

JPW's mum married Frederick Burbridge.

Ancestor Search
in the County of
-- Lancashire --

There was 1 match for this search!

Marriage: 9 Apr 1868 St John, Preston, Lancashire, England
Frederick Burbridge - 29, India Rubber Manufacturer, Bachelor, Great George St
Jane Whiteside - 28, Spinster, Gordon St
Groom's Father: Charles Burbridge, Traveller
Bride's Father: John Whiteside, Smith
Witness: Samuel Crossley; Mary Jane Crossley, (X)
Married by Banns by: Edmund Lee, M. A. Off. Min.
Register: Marriages 1867 - 1868, Page 188, Entry 376
Source: LDS Film 93998

I also found Jane in 1861 census living with her parents, she must have been expecting JPW when the census was taken. I am wondering if John Parkinson was in that area then, he may have been travelling around the country.

I have tried to find a John Parkinson in the census with the same occupation, the nearest one I could find was a cotton loom weaver. The death cert will certainly give us a clue, I think that he could well have been a lodger in Cranworth Street, I had a look who lived there in 1881, but nobody Parkinson lived there.

Jan
AKL

Thanks for the research Jan.

I was aware about this marriage, Sadly JPWs mother had died before it was announced and the Grandfather died a few days before the wedding, due to a second or third stroke. So very sad.
Jane went on to have 2 more children, half siblings to JPW. Bertha (who JPW corresponded with and died in 1932) and a boy who died when he was very young. Jane and her new husband both died quite young also. In fact JPW was left without his mother, stepfather and Grandparents in a short period of time. I have documents to support all this.

JPW and Mary had seven children, all written in a family bible and records to support this. Three died in their first 2 years of life. So life was cruel to them in my ways. My Grandmother was the third child, and was born in Preston. the last two were born in Leicester.

My Father was born in 1923 and was very close to his Grandfather. JPW never mentioned the loss of children or his past to anyone.The discovery of the bible was a complete revelation to everyone. JPW died in 1946 while my Father was serving in India so he never attended the funeral. The reason he never met JPWs family was always explained by the fact people rarely travelled far prior to WW2 and war time rationing meant they could not attend the funeral. Realistically, no one new that his mother had many siblings, his aunts and uncles or anything much about his background.

I do know that JPW and his "Father"(Grandfather) had happy times together. They were in a bowls team together and won prizes according to the newspaper cuttings. JPW continued to play bowls, very successfully, all his life.

I will be in Southport this Saturday to see the grave and will send for the death cert as soon as I get a few minutes.
The Whiteside line has been traced back many generations, originating from near Lytham, and I would love to put this missing piece in the jigsaw!

AKL
Jan

Hi AKL,

How did your trip to Southport go? Did you manage to find the grave, any more info on John Parkinson?

Jan
AKL

Hi
Sorry for the slow reply, work has been rather hectic!

The trip turned out to be really profitable.

The grave was in posh part of the cemetery, is ornate so not cheap. However it was full of wonderful information! If reads:-

IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBERANCE
OF
JACOB PARKINSON
of Southport, late of Backup
who died Feb 21st 1870
Aged 63 years

Also of Susan Parkinson, relict of the above
of Bootle (late of Backup)
who dented this life October 1st 1876
in the 70th year of her age

also John Parkinson son of the above
who departed this life July 13th 1876
aged 48 years

A;so Charles Ernest the beloved son of
Charles Oakes and Mary Unwin
and Grandson of the above Jacob and Susan Parkinson
who died November 12th 1876
Ages 7 months
AKL

So, 1876 was not a good year for the family. The son died before his mother and then the Grandson.

So a family plot. Jacob and Susan left Southport for Baccup and the industrial boom in the Cotton industry - need to find out when but am assuming they took their children including JP who then grew up to work in the cotton trade himself.
A quick glance at the list of Mill owners does not include a Parkinson but much more work is needed on this but management does not mean owner.
In 1860's there was the cotton famine. the Parents obviously stayed in Baccup but did JP? He died in Bootle which interestingly is his Mothers home town. A connection?

There is no mention of a wife of JP. Perhaps he never married.

The Grandson is interesting, did Mary Parkinson marry Mr Unwin, who died and then she remarried Mr Oakes? They go to a lot of trouble to explain the relationship. a wonder where she is buried, with her second husband?

So the idea that JP and Jane were from different classes and the marriage was never allowed to occur still hold lots of water. To stay in connect with JPW means he still had some feelings for them and could be reason why he ever married anyone else.

I have ordered the death cert for JP so hopefully that will tell us a few more details!

AKL
Jan

Hi AKL,

What great info, I have managed to find the family in census.

Mary Parkinson married Charles Oakes Unwin he comes up on one census as Charles Dakes Unwin, (transcription error)

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1870
Surname
Forename(s)
Surname
Forename(s)
Church / Register Office
Registers At
Reference
PARKINSON
Mary
UNWIN
Charles
Ormskirk Register Office or Registrar Attended
Preston
RM/10/103

Jan
Jan

:D

Hi AKL,

1871 census, 29 Cranworth Street Bootle

Charles Oakes Unwin head married age 26 tea merchant born Yorkshire
Mary wife age 29 born Bacup
Mary Caroline dau age 1 month born Lancs Seaforth
Susan Parkinson Widow mother in law age 64 born Yorkshire ?
John Parkinson unmarried brother in law age 41 Jeweller unemployed born Bacup
Harriet Unwin Widow mother age 64 born Yorkshire

Jan
Jan

Hi AKL,

1881 census

Name
Charles O Unwin
Event Type
Census
Event Date
Event Place
Bootle Cum Linacre, Lancashire, England
Registration District
West Derby
Residence Note
Bank Rd
Marital Status (Original)
Married
Occupation
Provision Agent & Broker
Relationship to Head of Household
Head
Birth Year (Estimated)
Birthplace
Attercliffe, Yorkshire, England
Page Number
Registration Number
RG11
Piece/Folio
3692/90
Affiliate Record Type
Household
Household
Role
Birthplace
Charles O Unwin
Head
M
Attercliffe, Yorkshire, England
Mary Unwin
Wife
F
Bacup, Lancashire, England
Mary C Unwin
Daughter
F
Bootle, Lancashire, England
Parkinson Unwin
Son
M
Susan Unwin
Daughter
F
Reginald Unwin
Son
M
Vida S Unwin
Daughter
F
Ann Aughton
Servant
F
Marshside, Lancashire, England

The daughter Vida was Vida Lilian Unwin (it has S on census) but that is another transcription error

I think Mary (Parkinson) Unwin died in 1896 registered West Derby

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan

:D

Hi AKL,

I have found John Parkinson's baptism details (image is on Ancestry)

Name:
John Parkinson
Birth Date:
17 Apr 1828
Birth Place:
Newchurch, Lancaster, England
Event Type:
Birth
Father:
Jacob Parkinson
Mother:
Susan
Denomination:
Particular Baptist
Piece Title:
Piece 1333: Rossendale, Bacup, Irwell Terrace Chapel (Particular Baptist), 1790-1837

Susan's maiden name was Haigh.

(Image also on Ancestry) for the marriage
Name:
Jacob Parkinson
Event Type:
Marriage
Event Date:
10 Apr 1827
Parish:
Newchurch, Lancashire, England
Spouse:
Susan Haigh
Register Type:
Bishop's Transcript

Jan
AKL

Firstly, sorry for the slow reply. I cannot believe time as passed so quickly.
some really wonderful details there. Thank you again.

I now have JPs dearth cert.
He died of TB while living with his sister's family. This infection may very sadly explained why 3 deaths in the family happened in the same year (JP, his mother, and nephew).
The brother-in-law, C Unwin was present and registered his death.
Interestingly his occupation is jeweller, not cotton merchant as stated on the burial records. I wondered if this has been confused with the details of his father, Jacob.
Lots that could have happened here- when the cotton famine hit, luxury items like jewellery in Baccup would be hit first. So did he travel to find work? Was he travelling to sell items anyway? I am now going to (hopefully) find some time to look into Backup in more detail then come back to sorting the Bootle branch.

AKL