Linacre Road

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
fatboyjoe90

Linacre Road c1930.

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Liverpool Corporation Tramways Depot - Linacre Road 1937. Tram 562 pictured which remained in service until 1939 being sold in 1940. :wink:

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

No. 28 Tram At the Junction of Bridge Road and Linacre Road. The 28 ran from the terminus in Wellington Road (off Bridge Road) to the Town Centre. :wink: :)

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Litherland at War 1939-45 Blackledges Blast damage Ma
Looking towards Linacre Road The block between Laburnum & Hawthorne Groves 37 to 49 - Blackledges Shop (37) Jones Pet Stores(51) can be seen on the corner of Hawthorn Grove.

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Bryant and May, Matchworks Litherland 1920. :wink:

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
Shelagh

More wonderful old photos Joe and Bob.. Thank you for posting, love seeing the old trams..
One of the trams advertising Cephos..that's a brand name from the past..always had Cephos powders at home...never knew what they were used for though :?
Thanks for the tram-ride memories George..same stories would be told by my lovely mum :)
Often spoke of the penny tram-rides to Woolton woods..good days had by all the children..
(Those who were fortunate enough to have a penny of course)
henry

CEPHOS POWDERS WERE LIKE BEECHAMS USED FOR FLU
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Was I the only one on here that bunked a tram ride by sitting on the rear bumper....till I got caught by the driver and got a smack on the head with his gauntlet gloves?? :oops: :oops:

I think the trams on Stanley Road were 16 24 and 28.

A sad memory was in the May blitz when I saw the trams lying on their sides amid the rubble.
fatboyjoe90

Linacre Road Bus Depot. :wink:

This is Home Bargains on the same site. :wink:
Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
bjones

Haven't been down Linacre for about ten years Joe but I had thought one of the bigger supermarkets had that site..... feeling :?
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
fatboyjoe90

That’s right Bee, Kwiksave and Somerfield were there before Home Bargains. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Maureeng

[quote="Matt"]Hi Maureen I think the doll's hospital was on Mount Pleasant about halfway to Rodney Street.
I used to pass it every day when I used to go to Skerry's College(just for a couple of months)and
Sheila knows it well as she passed it every day for 4 years when she used to go to Notre Dame
Commercial in Maryland street.Used to be there I believe since the early 1900's.
Matt[/quote]

Hi Matt, these photo's are great, they bring back so many happy memories don't they, thank you for reminding me where the dolls hospital was, I can't remember much else,lol, but that day is still in my memory, getting on the tram with my mum, my doll wrapped in her blanket, I recall her arm had fell off and I was very upset,makes me smile when I think of it. Hope you and Sheila are well. xxx
Marie777

I remember being on the number16 bus to the Pier Head.
Last edited by Marie777 on Mon May 15, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billygooner

hi gang,info for bunty, the continuation of stanley road is Linacre road not lane, Linacre lane goes up over the canal from the three banks island. best regards billy.
beardedpapa

Hi Folks

This post brings back a lot of memories. I lived in Bowden Street and Linacre Mission was at the bottom of the street with the remains of the matchworks opposite.
I was in touch with someone in Linacre Mission about two years ago trying to get some info on my boyhood mate who used to go there. They were able to give me a few details.

As a kid the matchworks bombed out site was a great adventure area albeit somewhat dangerous. I can recall quite a few bad accidents there including at least one drowning in the deep firefighting ponds. The high walls around the site were no deterrent to kids wanting to get in. Eventually they built flats on the site.
The tram depot was also a good spot to scavenge, they had huge rubbish bins just inside one of the bays that my mate and I used to scavenge in until we got spotted and chased away. If I remember correctly the Palladium Cinema was opposite.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I walked and cycled over the lift bridge, it was still there when I left in 1960.

beardedpapa
Born in Walton Hospital, lived in Bala St and then Bowden St Litherland. Now in Brisbane Australia
nicolas

The Cinema opposite was the Coliseum, Palladium was in Seaforth opp' the Park!
otapiri

My husband's Ascroft family had a chandlers's shop at No. 51 Linacre Road from 1890s. Still owned the building when it was damaged by bombing in WW2. Are there any photos of it? Is it still there?
Lesley
nicolas

beardedpapa wrote:Hi Folks

This post brings back a lot of memories. I lived in Bowden Street and Linacre Mission was at the bottom of the street with the remains of the matchworks opposite.
I was in touch with someone in Linacre Mission about two years ago trying to get some info on my boyhood mate who used to go there. They were able to give me a few details.

As a kid the matchworks bombed out site was a great adventure area albeit somewhat dangerous. I can recall quite a few bad accidents there including at least one drowning in the deep firefighting ponds. The high walls around the site were no deterrent to kids wanting to get in. Eventually they built flats on the site.
The tram depot was also a good spot to scavenge, they had huge rubbish bins just inside one of the bays that my mate and I used to scavenge in until we got spotted and chased away. If I remember correctly the Palladium Cinema was opposite.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I walked and cycled over the lift bridge, it was still there when I left in 1960.

beardedpapa
Litherland and Ford Digital, Bowden St - http://www.litherland-digital.co.uk/alb ... 1951a.html
otapiri

"Where the 2 Gentleman are walking on the right is No: 51."

Thanks so much Nicolas!
Lesley
ALAMO2008

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Linacre Mission Funeral 1920s Hartwell Street.

This could well be a Photo of my Great Grandmother's Funeral.

Emma Chapman nee Munnerley of 12 Violet Road died aged 57 of Cardiac Failure in the Ante Room of Linacre Mission on 9th May 1920 and buried in Kirkdale Cemetery.

Apparently the Family were involved in a lot of the activities in The Mission.

An Uncle remembers there being a Family Photo of the Chapmans on a wall inside somewhere when he grew up in the 1930's

My Great Granddad William Henry Chapman signed the Pledge there and could well be in the photo of the Abstinence March
Lol0972

Hi,I'm new to this site and I've just saw your post. Emma Chapman was my Great Grandmother! My Nan was her daughter Violet. Which one of my Nans sisters/brothers is your grandparents? I've been looking for her grave as only had a bit of info from family. Do you know where about it is in Kirkdale cemetery?, also do you know what became of William as we have no idea I cant seen to find him. thank you! Xx Lorraine
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Lol, Kirkdale cemetery is on Longmoor Lane, Liverpool L9 9EN. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Just to add opening hours.
Friday 8am–8pm
Saturday 8am–8pm
Sunday 10am–6pm
Monday 8am–8pm
Tuesday 8am–8pm
Wednesday 8am–8pm
Thursday 8am–8pm
Phone: 0151 233 3004.
I hope this helps you in your search. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
ALAMO2008

Lol0972 wrote:Hi,I'm new to this site and I've just saw your post. Emma Chapman was my Great Grandmother! My Nan was her daughter Violet. Which one of my Nans sisters/brothers is your grandparents? I've been looking for her grave as only had a bit of info from family. Do you know where about it is in Kirkdale cemetery?, also do you know what became of William as we have no idea I cant seen to find him. thank you! Xx Lorraine

Burial Date for Emma = 13/05/1920 • Kirkdale Cemetery Gen Sect 7 Plot 719

William died at Kirkdale Homes 23/12/1927 and buried in same plot

Imagescreen cap

My Father's Father was Samuel Chapman elder Brother of Violet who I have marrying a Michael Rance who had a Daughter Linda in 1950 who married an Eric Parry
Lol0972

Hi, thank you so much for all of that. Yes Linda is my Auntie and was married to Eric. She's over In a few weeks and we're going to go up the cemetry. So happy I finaly know what happened to William! And where their grave is Thank you xxx
J.F.G

Hello

Just seen this post, Shelagh makes mention of the Jewellers on the corner of Longfield Road, what year was that, I only remember the corner shop as Sayers the bakers, and next door to that was the newsagent / sweet shop " Shentons ", My Gran lived in Longfield Road, as a child I used to walk up to Sayers and get her bread for her, and got a three pence piece which I used to spend in " Shentons ".

Another shop further along Linacre Road was the hairdressers Jean Snaylem, I remember this as my younger sister served part of her hairdressing apprenticeship working there, mention is also made of Sturla's, my Mum was a collector for them, imagine in this day and age walking around with a bag of cash on a Friday evening in the dark.

Happy Days

John
Dan

No dates for any of these.

Original site of Richmond Sausages. From Doctor Fry.

I think the pig has been photoshopped on this picture.

Regards

Dan
Dan

I noticed earlier on in the thread comment was made about the cinema opposite the bus sheds.
I know cinemas change their names, but I used to go to the Essoldo for the Saturday afternoon kids' matinee.
Mighty Mouse, Flash Gordon, just serials but it was fun and noisy.
That would be about 1959/60.
From the Going To The Pictures site.

Regards

Dan
Dan

1932 Aerial view of Linacre Road

Linacre Road running left to right. Tram sheds on the left.Station to the right of the sheds. Mission far right.

The Lighthouse Cafe next to the Mission.

Regards

Dan
henry

The lighthouse on the outside looks more like a Dalek
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Not when it was put up? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Invicta

Daleks existed a thousand years before We first saw them in 1963, they just hadn’t found us. :shock: K
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Sorry Ken. I didn't realise Henry was knocking about when the Daleks first came? :lol:
henry

Aren't you going to say sorry to me or I will get them to EXTERMINATE you :P
Dan

1930s Linacre Road

Regards

Dan