Linacre Road

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
nicolas

Unfortunately this photo is no longer available online (Bootle site admin)
lynne99

Thanks . I love historical photos. :D
john j connell

Nice photo, it is still a nice building but it does not look as impressive today as it does in this photograph, some of the decorative stone features have been removed, why or when they got removed i do not know. JJC.
Brunnyboy

is that you on the left with the bib on your back john
john j connell

Alan you know our family, no way could we afford for any of us to be so well dressed. JJC.
jddry

great photo Nicolas any date ?
fatboyjoe90

I think it’s about 1904 jddry. :wink:

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
Shelagh

Great photo Nicolas.. such nostalgia..and what a hustling bustling place it was back then,
The brick wall on the right would have been the front part of the match works... and the lovely
architecture of the Mission Hall still stands, thank goodness, the interior of that building is very unusual and very ornate, just beautiful!
The next block up, shop with lighthouse sign outside was the tea rooms, also had painted sign for hot pies and drinks, upstairs rooms were for ladies dinning only!!
This particular block of shops later became another place of worship, Walkers Mission, which after a time, became a sewing factory!
The road seems to have one set of tramlines running along the centre, must be due to the narrowing of the road..
My memories of Linacre Rd- (Sturler's cheque shop, Army & Navy Stores, Tolls ladies wear,
Jewellers, corner of Longfield Rd, the Chinese Chippy that caught fire after being hit by lightening, and the dreadful crash about sixty years ago when a lorry came off the road, crashing into shop fronts killing four people, one being the owner of the Greek Chippy))
So much history surrounding Linacre Rd.....reason being, purposely built close to factories, wood yards, tannery, canals, railways, transport links to everywhere!!
Such an important little road in those day's, but hairdressers, off-licences and takeaways now seem to have taken over, (can't see any of them leaving lasting memories))))
Shelagh K.
Liz H

I remember it well. I used to go to a youth club with my friend when we were about 17. I think I also used to visit it occasionally to do karate. I think they did Shotokan style. Does anybody else remember that, or am I mistaken?
Lived in Garden Lane Bootle then moved to Netherton, where my mum still lives.
fatboyjoe90

Match workers kids from Linacre Mission, Children’s Parade 1920s :)

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers Joe.
Shelagh

Great old photo Joe, Linacre Mission children's parade taken in 1920s.
Wondering if this is the same celebration as children's day photo taken in Argos Rd Kirkdale 1922...with children marching from Bankhall Mission.. (Wonder what children's day was)
Thanks for photo Joe!
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that Shelagh, I believe it was a Commonwealth day Parade. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Linacre Wesleyan Mission.
Annual temperance parade along Linacre Road passing the shops, between Ince and Scarisbrick Avenues that have now been demolished.

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
Shelagh

Thanks for all the great photos and info Joe... such a good local history site :)
Shelagh K!
fatboyjoe90

The No 16 Tram, outside the sheds, on Linacre Road. :wink: :D

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers Joe.
Maureeng

Great photo's Joe, thank's for posting them, I only ever rode on a tram once with my mum and that was to take my doll to the dolls hospital some where in Liverpool, showing my age now,lol. xx
Shelagh

Nice tram memory Maureen :D poor dolly :(
Lovely old photo of tram sheds Linacre Rd - no 16 tram to Pier Head looks inviting :D
Wouldn't mind travelling to town on that!!
Matt

Hi Maureen I think the doll's hospital was on Mount Pleasant about halfway to Rodney Street.
I used to pass it every day when I used to go to Skerry's College(just for a couple of months)and
Sheila knows it well as she passed it every day for 4 years when she used to go to Notre Dame
Commercial in Maryland street.Used to be there I believe since the early 1900's.
Matt
bob. b

Great pictures everyone really enjoy looking at them. It's great to look back on the area 1904 well well thanks Bob. b
fatboyjoe90

Great photos Bob, thanks for posting them,and thank you guys for your comments. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Linacre Road was originally named Linacre Lane. :wink:

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Linacre Mission Funeral 1920s Hartwell Street.

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

The entrance to the old Linacre Road station. :wink: :D

The bridge at Linacre Road looking towards the north-west in April 2007.

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Hi Joe, didn't know Linacre Road used to be called Linacre Lane. What did Linacre Lane used to be called? Also, some people think that Lunacre Road starts at the Three Banks, where as it commences at just after the Odeon, it is still Stanley Road till then. How would that tie in with it previously being called Linace lane? There again, town planners can do as they wish.
fatboyjoe90

filsgreen wrote:Hi Joe, didn't know Linacre Road used to be called Linacre Lane. What did Linacre Lane used to be called? Also, some people think that Lunacre Road starts at the Three Banks, where as it commences at just after the Odeon, it is still Stanley Road till then. How would that tie in with it previously being called Linace lane? There again, town planners can do as they wish.

Sorry, I can’t answer your question Phil, I have the info somewhere on my old PC, so bear with me until i can sort it out. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Nice photo of the old lift bridge Bob. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Thanks Joe.
bob. b

Joe Thanks got some more will post them .
Frank948

Linacre Mission is still has a childrens club on a Wendnesday evening and still has a childrens camp in the Summer.I know a couple of children still go ,all though the live on Wirral.The pictures put on are great.When i was in the Fire Service i attended a Fire at the Tram (Bus ) garage.Saw some rear film of the War that showed the Dimond Match factory Burning down.Opp the mission.
F A Mullen
Shelagh

Great photos Joe and Bob..lots of history from Linacre Road :)
Very grand funeral from Linacre Mission 1920s...
Good to see where entrance to Linacre Rd station began!
As for the lift bridge in Litherland..most children played around there at sometime or other!
Had such fun with the swing bridge wouldn't leave the thing alone :evil:
In summertime you would see the local kids diving from it into the canal!
Carefree reckless idiots we were back then :shock:
Good thing kids now have more sense :D
Thanks for the history Joe and Bob :wink:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Correct that Stanley Road became Linacre Lane after the Odeon. Did you also know that was boundary between Lancashire and Bootle. The boundary ran straight down to the old overhead bridge with The Winifred in Bootle and under the bridge The Caradoc was in Lancashire.???

As for swimming in the canal we always knew who were the posh kids as they wore cozzies. :oops:
fatboyjoe90

Linacre Road, Litherland, where Francis McKenna inexplicably smashed a shop window

THE city’s County Magistrate court at Islington was the setting for two rather remarkable scenes back in April 1924.
That month featured the trial of Francis McKenna, a young man only in his twenties, who had been charged with causing criminal damage to a shop in Linacre Road in Litherland.
The trial drew to a close and Mr McKenna was certified medically insane. He then climbed up onto his chair and leapt over the rails out of the dock.
As he landed, audible waves of discernible terror rang out from the public gallery and he himself began screaming and hollering uncontrollably.
"How long are they putting me away for?" he shouted and he made some effort to make contact with a woman at the back of the court. Constables quickly secured the man and he was swiftly removed. The previous Tuesday the prisoner had smashed a plate glass window valued at approximately £25. He told the arresting officer he did not know why he had done it.
That charge was now withdrawn and Mr McKenna found himself on his way to the Mill Road Infirmary for an indeterminable spell of medical observation. :wink:
Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Jack's Furniture Shop, Bridge Road.

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Bridge Road Postcard, Litherland. :wink:

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers Joe.
M1G 1N3

The picture of the #16 tram got me thinking of the school summer holidays when special tickets for children were issued.
If my memory is correct they cost a penny for four rides, we would get the # 16 to the pier head and get one of the #fives (?) to
Calderstone Park or Woolton Woods for the day. Then home on the trams in reverse order. I'm not sure about this, but think the
tickets were yellow with a large red C on the front and a place for the rides to be clipped.