Bootle may day horse trophys

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bob. b

Wow what a cup that is wonder where it is today Bob Fantastic picture :D :D
WatsonTommy

never mind the cup look at the table and tablecloth made from mahogany lovely legs too :D
henry

I would call them FEET :?:
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Sheelagh Tequila

I love that picture Bob and also agree about the table and tablecloth, I think most people would treasure a piece of furniture like that.

Sheelagh :D
Invicta

WatsonTommy wrote:never mind the cup look at the table and tablecloth made from mahogany lovely legs too :D
XRAY vision Tommy or was the mahogany a guess ? :wink: Ken
BOBHAMO

It was on ebay only gave the the bootle may day trophys 1920s
no other info most proberly melted down :( :( :( :(
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
WatsonTommy

definitely mahogany i worked on the timber vic with proctors etc :D they got it out the parlour were it had a big nastradamus on it (feet is correct henry)and invicta what is the hardest wood in the world/, hah hah shiver me timbers lad :?:
Invicta

Buloke, Tommy. :wink: Ken
lily8

bob. b wrote:Wow what a cup that is wonder where it is today Bob Fantastic picture :D :D
Great photo Bobhamo :D

Bob when I was last home I visited the new museum and they had a lot of stuff and silverwear related to Carters(of interest to me as my Gdad was one) from memory I believe there was a huge cup in the collection that had associations with Bootle I may have a picture will have a look.
Lily
Matt

Hardest wood is what you pack ships propeller shafts with Lignum Vitae
also used as guides for high speed round saws that I used to change in sawmills
it had to be cut to size with a metal hacksaw.
Matt
bob. b

Lily will try to go down to the museum thank you
Invicta

Matt wrote:Hardest wood is what you pack ships propeller shafts with Lignum Vitae
also used as guides for high speed round saws that I used to change in sawmills
it had to be cut to size with a metal hacksaw.
Matt
Lignum has been relegated to number 2 or 4 depending on your source, Matt.
The Buloke found in parts of Oz takes it now. It's a type of Ironwood.
There is also a South American ( Amazonian ) Quebracho ( not sure on that spelling ) which the trade call Axe Breaker.
Cheers Ken
henry

Tommy I bet you You was going to say GREENHEART
bob. b

Educating me never heard of them. :wink: :wink: :wink:
WatsonTommy

lignum vitas it was also used to make bowls for ( bowling greens)not to eat soup out off, yes it was used for propeller shafts has its self oiling, green heart grows in the everglades and is used for Lock gates docks and canals it breathes under water but get a splinter from it and your finger goes septic more or less right away within a week you see a red line going up your arm and have to get penicillin injections : :But a lot of you WOODEN know this, i worked for the mersey dock and harbour board and was second man on the ADZE :roll:
Invicta

bob. b wrote:Educating me never heard of them. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Nor me Bob, until recently. I did almost 50 years in Timber Trade and never heard of them.
When I was a member of Institute of Wood Science, Lignum Vitae was hardest but new discoveries all the time as jungles cleared they find new species in tropical parts. :wink: Ken
henry

When I worked on the timber we were also told of getting a splinter off the GREENHEART would kill you if you never got it treated right away
WatsonTommy

invicta,the winner of the cup must have needed a horse and cart to carry it, bet you were a good fairender,though 50 years on the timber wow :D
Invicta

Man and boy, Tommy. From working in the forests , frozen and jungles all over the World to big boss. Enjoyed every minute.
Cheers Ken
Matt

Hi all this is the same type of "gang saw" I used to operate for the
last 7 years in the sawmills.By then technology had done away with Lignum Vitae
500,000 board feet in an 8 hour shift with just a eleven man/woman crew
https://youtu.be/mmvGq0tYQVo
Matt
Invicta

Lignum Vitae still used, even in small things such as Cricket bails. Umpires can opt to use "heavy bails " in windy conditions.
There was an industry around here in West Kent making them many years ago. :wink: Ken
billygooner

hi gang,i bored out many a tail end bearing made from lignum vitae in my dry dock days (rain/ hale and snow). regards billy.
WatsonTommy

hey matt /we were posh we had two saw mill in bootle one called BILLOWS in Pacific road and one on derby road by st mary's cemetery chapel street,cant remember the name, right opposite the queens pub but whats all this to do with a cup a table and tablecloth with feet :wink: :roll:
Matt

Just my answer and follow up about your question to what is the hardest wood Tommy :lol:
Matt
WatsonTommy

LIGNUM VITAE is the hardest wood, but can you tell me if your worked in the timber trade what is a FAIRENDER and whats a ADZE used for i have done both with timber :D
bob. b

Tommy you have got me still being educated all this wood stuff. :D :D :D
Matt

We did not do "hand" woodworking Tommy even though I have used an adze :lol: :lol:
but I do not know what a "fairender" is.
The mill I worked in was the most high speed, up to date and most modern(at the time I retired)
in Western N.America. The first mill I worked in only put out 250,000 board feet and had 100
men per shift 20 alone just pulling the boards off the production chain by hand.
Matt
filsgreen

WatsonTommy wrote:LIGNUM VITAE is the hardest wood, but can you tell me if your worked in the timber trade what is a FAIRENDER and whats a ADZE used for i have done both with timber :D

Hiya Tommy. As Ken has mentioned, Lignum Vitae is not the hardest wood, a quick google brought this page up.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic ... est-woods/

Without googling; I believe an Adze is a sharp sculpting tool used for hollowing out or shaping wood. Haven't got a clue what a Fairender is.
Shelagh

Enjoying the woodwork lesson here, learnt so much :D
Even know what a fair ender is Tommy..
Four man gang.. (Two on the ground passing timber up to person at centre of trailer, who uses a Bratt to pass timber to the fair ender (person who keeps timber level at front) :D
Invicta

Timber used to come in Random Lengths, say 8' to 20' but was sold by the content per package in board feet (msf) or cubic metres (m3)
Today it is sorted to length , say 2.4m up to 6.0m in all same size packs.

The Fairender was responsible for squaring off one end of the pack for ease of loading and count. Don't need them today with length sorting.

Many years since I heard that word Tommy.

Cheers Ken
Matt

So random length Ken?.Have never seen that since 1970 when the Japanese market
took off and everything was 4"x4" 8', 12' ,13' and 20' in length.
Our whole Eacom mill in Tahsis had to be re-tooled to accommodate 13' lengths
and special grading rules just for Japanese 4"x4".Big pain in the you- know -what
but a HUGE market.
So now back to Bootle May Day and those wonderful horses with their equally
wonderful horse brasses etc. :D :D
Matt
Invicta

Still get some RL from Scandinavia & Russia, Matt but most is packed to length for this market. :D Ken
WatsonTommy

no offence but talking about timber, there was a wood called ******* wood because it had no origin, and was used for shoring up cargo on ships it too was a hard wood , as we used it for podgers (skids ) we put them between timbers when loading timber on our h.g.v trailers you couldn't do anything else with it except use it for cock wood and everybody took a bundle of cockwood home in there little army gas mask bags that had your sandwiches in, a little tin the top half had sugar bottom had tea,and condensed milk wrapped in grease proof paper, to make a billy can of tea on your break, before we went to work we would set the fire with rolled up paper cockwood left over ashes some coal on top ready for the first up, to get the kids up for school they would put a match to the fire and the liverpool echo as a fender, me mother had a big pan and a kettle on the fire all day if you didn't eat your dinner or tea it went into the big pan and any visitors would get a plate of scouse or a cup of tea, nothing was wasted as we had nothing to waste :roll:
Invicta

Dunnage, Tommy. Any old wood was used and plywood sheets . Packed between cargo to stop it moving at sea.
Not so much demand these days as more containers used. They also use airbags between the cargo. : :wink: Ken