Albert Dock Liverpool Free Heritage Activities

Post here about news - events - jobs
DockHistory

Hi,

I'm the Community Engagement Officer for 'People's Heritage' - a Heritage Lottery-funded project running at the Albert Dock Liverpool this year. I'm writing to let you know about a number of free activities taking place for local people.

We are working with Merseyside Maritime Museum, Tate Liverpool and Blue Badge Guides to offer a great range of free activities:

BEHIND THE SCENES WORKSHOPS: MERSEYSIDE MARITIME MUSEUM
& LIVERPOOL RECORD OFFICE

Workshop 1: Thurs 19 May, 2.30-4pm / Workshop 2: Tues 24 May, 2-3.30pm / Workshop 3: TBC

Merseyside Maritime Museum is producing brand new heritage interpretation for Albert Dock. Installed throughout its colonnades later this year, it will guide visitors through the Dock’s fascinating history.
We are offering a unique chance to be part of this process.
Three workshops will explore the process behind exhibition creation and archive research, drawing on the experience of Merseyside Maritime Museum and Liverpool Record Office staff. They will look at applying these ideas to the themes and stories at the heart of the Albert Dock interpretation project.

Workshop 1: Merseyside Maritime Museum
The first workshop will look at the processes used to put together an exhibition. Maritime Museum staff will explain the steps that they work through when creating a display, using examples and case studies of the Museum’s most recent exhibitions: On the Waterfront and Lusitania: life, loss, legacy.

Workshop 2: Liverpool Record Office (at Liverpool Central Library)
Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes of Liverpool Record Office? This session will take you behind closed doors and let you uncover some of the archives relating to the Albert Dock. There will also be information on how to access the archives for general research, with help on hand to answer questions.

Workshop 3: Merseyside Maritime Museum
The final workshop offers an opportunity to discuss the themes of the Albert Dock project in light of the information gained in earlier sessions. Museum staff will discuss the group’s ideas and suggest practical steps for taking these forward, shaping them, and creating a display.

You may book for individual workshops or for the entire series, depending on your availability.
We will give first option for places on Workshop 3 to those who have booked for either of the other two workshops once the date has been confirmed.
FREE REFRESHMENTS PROVIDED.
To book a place, please email Community Engagement Officer: dockheritage@mail.com

TATE LIVERPOOL: ARCHITECTURE PRESENTATION & TOUR
Monday 23 May & Saturday 16 July, 2pm

This fascinating tour begins with a presentation on the history of Liverpool before the docks were created, moving through to the development of the Albert Dock and the regeneration of the buildings that now house Tate Liverpool. The Tate Liverpool building has gone through several transformations since opening in 1988 and this tour will reveal its secrets.

To book, email Community Engagement Officer: dockheritage@mail.com

BLUE BADGE GUIDED DOCK TOURS
Bespoke times

Discover the fascinating history of the Albert Dock and its place within Liverpool’s waterfront. Walks last around an hour.
Times can be booked to suit individual groups.
You can also let us know if you have any specific interests that you’d like the walk to include.

Groups of approx. 5-20 people. To book, email Community Engagement Officer: dockheritage@mail.com
lynne99

Thanks for sharing that and welcome. I'm sure you will get lots of takers. Unfortunately I don't live there anymore, else I would be first on your list.
Have you put it on the Liverpool Family History Forum, or shall I copy this there?
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya,

Thank you for sharing this news on our Bootle site.

It is now on our "Bootle community news - events - jobs" section with it being "Heritage News" for our Bootle Forum members.

Mack (Bootle site admin)