SOS - Save Our School

Post here about news - events - jobs
Bernie R

I've posted this on Facebook so some will have already seen it.

If you haven't already done so can you please sign this petition?

It relates to our Holly's school, St. Ambrose Barlow (formerly St. Catherine's).

The school is the only surviving secondary school in the area and the Archdiocese has asked Sefton Council to start a period of consultation with a view to closing it next August. Needless to say, our local community is up in arms about this and a strong campaign is already under way to protect the school's future. Please sign the petition to do your bit. You could even pass it on too if that's not too much trouble.

Holly is one of the lucky ones as she starts her Year 11 in September so her group is guaranteed to be able to finish their studies in their school - younger kids may have to move during that vital 2 year GCSE period.

Sefton Council have announced widespread plans to build houses at various sites - many in the Netherton area - what is the point of doing so if those who live there are robbed of local amenities such as schools?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/526/801/ ... cid=fb_na#

Thanks in advance.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Stan Clayton

ok Bern, have signed.
Stan
lily8

As an ex pat may not seem appropriate to some, but I retain very close links to the area through family and friends and am a supporter of neighbourhood schools. I have happily signed Bernie and the very best of luck to the community with this.
Lily
Bernie R

Thanks Stan and Lily.

Have no fear about being overseas Lil - you're not alone as there is support on that petition from all corners of the globe.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Sheelagh Tequila

I've signed Bernie.

Sheelagh
Glenys

Bernie, I've signed.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Bernie R

Thanks gals - appreciate your support.
Bernie R

Piece in today's Echo about the meeting last night...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... re-9650740
Bernie R

I make no apologies for banging on about this.

Here's a little video that showcases what we risk losing if the school closes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRZxZp ... e=youtu.be
42aitch

Signed Bernie, Good Luck, we have already lost St Wilfrid's RC High School so another loss in the area is too much.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
Joycen60

Hi Bernie,

Good Luck with your petition. I have now signed. If the School is good why close it and small is good. As an ex secondary school teacher I feel for all staff and students that are affected by this.
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
Jan Purchase

Bernie

Have signed.

JanP
Bernie R

Thanks all.

The online petition is now, as of this afternoon, closed with a staggering 25,880 signatures.

Jan, you were nearly the last entry but 4 signatures came in after you.

Optimistic to the end, the school is having its open night tonight in an effort to attract their intake for next September. Here's hoping that goes well.

Bern
Bernie R

Update on this folks and I'm afraid it's bad news.

Final verdict was announced yesterday and the school will close in August. There was an air of inevitability about it all really given that so many parents elected to start moving their kids to other schools almost from day one of the process. I'm not having a pop at those parents. I honestly don't know what we'd have done about Holly if she hadn't been in the lucky position of being in Year 11 and so was unaffected by this (for those like me who still think in terms of 1st year to 5th year that means she leaves before the closure).

The parents who ran the campaign to save the school should be applauded, but alas their efforts were in vain and we'll find ourselves without a secondary school in Netherton come September.

Thanks to all who signed the petition - your support is greatly appreciated.

Bern
Joycen60

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for the update. It is hard to believe that there is no secondary school in the area. Is this because there are is not enough pupils of this age to fill them? Where does everyone go now?
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
Invicta

Shame that Bernie. I'd heard about the campaign on our visits to Netherton Green. :wink: K
Bernie R

Ambrose had official 'small school status' which obviously made it more attractive than some of the sprawling, small-city type, schools we see around. Recently, falling numbers led the Archdiocese to crunch the numbers and that's where it all started.

There seems to have been some kind of tacit strategy to get the Ambrose kids to go to Savio (Salesian as was) although I do know of many who have ignored that option and opted for Maricourt in Maghull or Holy Family in Thornton.

Bern
Sheelagh Tequila

I`m sorry to hear this Bernie, we drove past there yesterday, it makes you wonder do they really think of the children and their families when they make these decisions.... Its a shame.

Sheelagh
efc46

As an expat been home twice the ratbags have knocked down the schools I went to Salisbury road Gray street and closed St.Georges stole our memories they have
Davey Rowlands Bootle
filsgreen

You can say the same thing for Orrell Primary and St Wilfreds, time marches on :(

Phil
Dan

Pre-demolition photos of St Ambrose Barlow/St Catherine's.

Bernie R

The way nature has reclaimed the site, it's hard to believe those buildings were ever there now Dan.
Dan

Bern, the application for demolition was made by the Liverpool diocese.

The first application was turned down because a "bat roost potential survey" hadn't been completed.

The survey was done with no bat sightings so the bulldozers moved in.

I think the moral is if you want to save a building fill it with bats. A few natterjack toads wouldn't go amiss either.