Sheelagh Youssef's dad Ned's Ribble Bus Co. Memorabilia

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
scouser

Jean, totally agree with you, the thing that saddens me, is that KT no longer posts. mick.
willo 1

Charlie Lovatt is my brother-in-law :lol:

Jo.x
stevom_2009

charlie and keith,2 decent snooker players played for the mell inn for years, also kenny williams and his brothers.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
willo 1

Sheelagh Tequila wrote:Hiya Jo,
As you can see Mr. Lovatt did us a great favour supplying the names of dads workmates, KT speaks highly of him and I,m very grateful for his help.

By the way I,ve just noticed your new to the site so welcome.

Sheelagh

Hi Sheelagh, thank you for your welcome, but i was on here under a different name and addy, but i started having problems with the other one so i had to change both name and addy. :(

Jo.x
bobdowson

looking at photos of past ribble employees the fourth photo back row and second from the right looks like stan dowling last i heard of him he was living in skem.
bob-d.
Lucyjay

I used to have a neighbour, Malcolm Barrington, who worked for the Ribble, as a driver, for many years. He, and some colleagues, bought an old 'charabang' and used it for social outings. I remember one year, Malcolm took all of the neighbours to Blackpool Illuminations; he couldn't charge, due to the category of the vehicle, which had something to do with tax/conditions of use, so we all contributed towards the cost of the diesel.
Does anyone remember Malcolm or the charabang?
Born in Kirk Street, brought up in Bootle
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya Lucy, I don,t know of Malcom but I,m sure someone on here will, perhaps Irene H from this site who was the 1st lady driver out of Bootle Depot , also Ron Waters might know him, maybe someone who is in contact with him will ask him.

Sheelagh
jean eaton

Does anyone remember an inspector called Cad Williams, he was my friends dad.He was on the buses in the 1950's Lived at the top of Hatton Hill in Litherland?? Jean.
Mo

Just bumping this up for my sister-in-law to see
Mo. M
OurPhil

Does anyone remember Joe Bulloch? He was a conductor out of Aintree Depot. Worked for Ribble from mid '50s until 1968, when he died during his shift on the bus.
Phil.
" Open wide your sails, let them be filled with the Winds from Heaven. "
davybaby

A little Lighter . .
jeand

Glad this came up again. My husband worked for Ribble as did his Dad. He recognises most of the men on the photos, including his Dad and Peter.
Bootle born and bred, ex Bootle Grammar School and Bootle Tech. Still living in Bootle.
Patricia

Wonderful link - the Ribble was my main means of transportation. I always caught the L-2 into Liverpool for work every day, visiting my grandparents in Crosby and to Connie Millington's on Merton Road. Couldn't have done without it :D
Sheelagh Tequila

Glad you like it Patricia, my cousin Marie has just joined the site and she hadn,t seen any of those pics before, her dad my Uncle Pat and my Dad were the image of each other.Many thanks to KT and Daveowe who were a great help to me with this thread as I wasn,t sure if it was interesting to other members ,,, how wrong could I be :roll: Also thanks to Davy for brightening the pic.

Sheelagh
norma19

Hi Sheelagh,
Im new to all this but it was great when I noticed your Dads name.......I worked with all these people and your brother Eddie.
All of those were known as the ' Big wheelers' Because they they did all the tours and distance work....It was a great job and
all the drivers and conductors worked together ..a really good crowd. Then one man operation and the wizz bang drivers
drivers started and it was never the same.....Any driver on Ribble will have a funny story about all those names you have posted.
I thought Ned was a character and most definitely Eddie was...Is Eddie still with us ..Last he told me he was moving to southport with
Margaret and Kids to start a business.

Be nice to hear from him.....John.

Thanks Sheelagh
Sheelagh Tequila

Hello John,Sorry for the long wait for my reply but i've only just read your post.. I'm so glad you enjoyed my Dad's pics, from my memory my Dad and Eddie would have agreed with you about the OMO buses, Dad flatly refused to drive one, Eddie hated them too and got out at the earliest opportunity. I used to know a few of the crew when I would go with my friend for a drink before going to Alinsons was it the Salt Box ? Sadly Eddie passed away 11 months ago, he was 69, Me and my sister Kathleen still miss and talk about him and luckily laugh at the antics of him and Arthur Morrow, Peter Chew ? John Henry (who my Mam called John Willy :oops: ) were you one of the lads that my Mam sewed french seems in the uniform trousers for. Lots of happy memories John, nice to hear from you.

Sheelagh :D
norma19

Hi Sheelah,
Im so sorry to hear of Eddies passing , He really was a lovely man.
I worked with him a lot..he used to do a lot of lates and I was always
on lates. We many times used to race the last 2 buses from Southport
( 1 of us was always 30mins late) needless to say we never did the full service
I remember we were both about to leave Skelhorne St , he jumped in my cab
and everyone got on my bus til it was bulgeing.. he then drove out empty.
He used to have everyone in tucks with his gangster approach..he chased me
through the bus wash once and destroyed the whole thing.
He was very popular and i am one of many priviledged to have known
him..I hadnt seen him for years but often thought about him...
Yes it was your mum who did my pants...Your dad I remember used to do
the old London service. He used to drive an old charabanc type. That took 9
hours to London..no headrest , freezing cold and NOISY..
Thanks for letting me know about Eddie..Best wishes to you and your family

John
Raymond J Maher

Could anybody please upload all the pics from the Boote Ribble crews ..Ray Maher
No matter where you are,If you are a BUCK, be proud of it..
angrycat

I remember your dad Ned he was a brilliant driver and gentleman I'd love to see some photos of him
Sheelagh Tequila

Hello Angry cat and welcome to the forum, Thanks for saying such nice things about my Dad, he was a gentleman and quietly funny too. He, my Mam and Brother Eddie have all passed away now but me and my sister Kathleen keep their memory alive within the family.

Best wishes

Sheelagh Tequila

Just bumping this up for Ray S, sorry the photo's have disappeared Ray but there might be something to interest you.
Welcome to the forum.

Gardner 180

Sheelagh Tequila wrote:Just bumping this up for Ray S, sorry the photo's have disappeared Ray but there might be something to interest you.
Welcome to the forum.

Sheelagh, Thank you for your comments, I think that this Ribble thread will do well on here.
I look forward to seeing some more comments, and hopefully some pictures, from long ago
or of more recent date. Regards, Ray Smyth.
Sheelagh Tequila

Just seeing if I can bring this back up for Ray..

Sheelagh Tequilla
Gardner 180

Hello Sheelagh, Further to your strong connection with Ribble Motor Services, Have a look on the websites
of Ribble Enthusiasts Club, and also Ribble Vehicle Preservation Group. Their members have a lot more
knowledge and history of the company than me. Another source of pictures is on a thread that I started on
TrucknetUK, a forum for enthusiasts and drivers, past and present. On Trucknet, go to Board Index, then
click on Old Time Lorries, followed by Buses, Coaches, & Lorries section.. Kind regards, Ray Smyth.
Dan

Bootle Times October 27 1950.