Streets or Avenues

Find Bootle friends and family here
welshlady

Hello
Wonder if anyone could help me..my mother and family all came from Liverpool and the last known address I had for an Auntie, was a Rydal or Ridyl Avenue or street...I was told they where railway houses built for the workers.. also are they still standing please?
My mum passed away when I was 15 so dont have to much info.. Many thanks.
42aitch

Welcome Welshlady,

Can't find a Rydal Street or Avenue in Bootle, but there was one in Litherland, off Webster Street. Rydal Street were small two up two down with a small scullery built on. Don't know if they were Railway houses but I think that some of the others at the Railway end of Webster Street i.e. Ken Street were Railway houses. Unfortunately they are all demolished now and new houses and the extension for St Elizabeth's RC Primary School are built there. Do you know what church or school your family went to as this could narrow it down.

There is also a Rydal Street in Everton which is still there. They are also 2 bedrooms terraced but look to be a bit bigger than the Litherland ones.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
BOBHAMO

edit
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Welshlady,

Welcome to our Bootle site. I've moved your post over to our "Looking For" section for more replies :)

Mack
Thommos sister

A warm welcome to a great forum Welsh Lady.
You have come to the right place.
Best wishes
T.S :)
welshlady

42aitch wrote:Welcome Welshlady,

Can't find a Rydal Street or Avenue in Bootle, but there was one in Litherland, off Webster Street. Rydal Street were small two up two down with a small scullery built on. Don't know if they were Railway houses but I think that some of the others at the Railway end of Webster Street i.e. Ken Street were Railway houses. Unfortunately they are all demolished now and new houses and the extension for St Elizabeth's RC Primary School are built there. Do you know what church or school your family went to as this could narrow it down.

There is also a Rydal Street in Everton which is still there. They are also 2 bedrooms terraced but look to be a bit bigger than the Litherland ones.

Eileen

Many thanks Eileen
You could be right as I know my mum lived in Litherland as well but don't know when, before she got married she worked for Littlewoods pools .. gosh am confused now... when i use to go to the post box with letters...I seem to remember Bootle in the address... my mum passed away in 1962 & my great auntie in 1965..
Its lovely to hear you discribe the type of houses...my mum was an only child we had a half sister that lived with our great aunt in Liverpool... .& she was had some learning difficulties...not sure where she had schooling... when my aunty passed away my half sister went into a care in the community home in Sefton.

Thanking you so much.
Welshlady
welshlady

BOBHAMO wrote:Hi Welsh lady and welcome what years ????
if you can give the surname of your auntie
we might be able to find her address
rydal street was next to the canal
photo with the houses on the left of some of the streets
bobhamo

Thank you very much for the photo...I years would be up to 1965... as my Aunt passed away then.. her surname was Rankin...she was born in 1981 so she was a good age when she passed away...I am so very greatful for your help..

Many thanks
Welshlady.
BOBHAMO

Image.
with having the surname there is a rankin at no 7
this is from 1962 Rydal street was a couple of hundred yards from where i grew up
i remember them getting demolished pity no camera then
there are a few threads on littlewoods
if you need any more address for your family
up t0 1968 just ask
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

Rydal street is the second street on the canal bank
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
welshlady

BOBHAMO wrote:Image.
with having the surname there is a rankin at no 7
this is from 1962 Rydal street was a couple of hundred yards from where i grew up
i remember them getting demolished pity no camera then
there are a few threads on littlewoods
if you need any more address for your family
up t0 1968 just ask
bobhamo

Wow what can I say thank you so much ... yes that was my great Aunt Edith Rankin... so those houses the gable ends looked over the canal is that right..did go there as a child but was always travel sick ... my mum use to use the Liverpool coach that use to travel to Anglesey & back in the summer months bringing holidaymakers.. so my younger sister use to go with her & she does not remember much...my G/mother lived in Walton Park don't have an address yet...she passed away in 1953..great great g/mother lived at 48 Thounton Road Bootle at the time of 1911 census.. if you know where that is or may that has gone as well...

Thanking you..
lily8

Hi Welsh Lady and a warm welcome from me too :D Are you looking for help with your family history?? if so a couple of marriages to consider both married Rankin name in Liverpool Edith Appleton and Edith M Williams if you want to follow up on family history we have a great group of 'Genies' on the forum including Eileen and Bob just let us know.
Lily
BOBHAMO

ThORNTON ROADis still there will put some photos on
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Thommos sister

Great wombating Bob...
T.S :)
welshlady

BOBHAMO wrote:ThORNTON ROADis still there will put some photos on
bobhamo

Thank you very much :)
welshlady

lily8 wrote:Hi Welsh Lady and a warm welcome from me too :D Are you looking for help with your family history?? if so a couple of marriages to consider both married Rankin name in Liverpool Edith Appleton and Edith M Williams if you want to follow up on family history we have a great group of 'Genies' on the forum including Eileen and Bob just let us know.

Many thanks....Yes I would like some help we have a lot but would love some help with missing links...Thank you how do I get in touch with them.?....

Best wishes.
BOBHAMO

thornton road
very well built houses 1904
i have more but have to find them
thornton road is about a ten minute walk
from rydal street
jan and tina and eileen are the genies
i just try and help :D :D
if you can give any info dates
same with the rankin name if you have the average years
i can look up all the rankins address
there was a rankin on litherland road just by where i used to live
no 48
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
welshlady

Many thanks for the photos ..I had gone on Google Maps but couldn't see the numberes of the houses.. plus sometimes they are not always the numbers that come up on the Google Map site...my Great Aunt's husband was Nathan Rankin... passed away in 1918...he was a boatswain on ships [ bosun].. have got him in 1911 census living wIth Edith wife..... his mother in law Mary Moody [ head of household].....brother in law Charles Moody .... also my grandmother Edith Smith ... at 48 Thornton road Bootle.... just wondered how he died because he died in West Derby???

Many Thanks..
welshlady

Forgot to say he was born in Scotland in 1878.....married my g/aunt in 1907 in Liverpool.....
Matt

And my great aunt Lena and cousin Andy(Angus) Blyde lived just 10 doors down in #68 Thornton Road.
I love your comment Bob that you just try to help.You are a wonderful help with all your photo's and willingness to
take them for our new members.
Matt
welshlady

Gosh its a small world.... your family might have kown mine!!!
lily8

Great pics Bob :D

Hi again Welsh Lady I would think that Mr Rankins' death was registered in West Derby as the recording office and not as the actual place of death. On the 1911 census he is noted as working for the Allan Line a shipping company that operated to Canada including the carriage of immigrants. If you post the details of what you are trying trace we will try and help out.
Lily
Jan

Hi Welsh Lady,

You could order a copy of Nathan's death certificate, they cost £9.25 from the GRO. The district West Derby would have covered the Bootle area.

Here is the death registration.

Name: Nathan Rankin
Birth Date: abt 1878
Date of Registration: Dec 1918
Age at Death: 40
Registration district: West Derby
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 840

If you need any help with that, just give us a shout and one of us will talk you through it.

Nos da

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
welshlady

Thank you so much Jan.. I am going to phone the records office in Liverpool tomorrow, do you know where I could find out about divorce's that took place around the 1920's or 1930's...

Many Thanks once again
Best Wishes
Welshlady.
Jan

Hi Welsh Lady,

It may be a costly business trying to find a divorce record, have a look at this link https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

There may be records at The National Archives at Kew, Richmond, Surrey.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
welshlady

lily8 wrote:Great pics Bob :D

Hi again Welsh Lady I would think that Mr Rankins' death was registered in West Derby as the recording office and not as the actual place of death. On the 1911 census he is noted as working for the Allan Line a shipping company that operated to Canada including the carriage of immigrants. If you post the details of what you are trying trace we will try and help out.

Thank You Lily..... As he was marked away on the 1911 census I found him aboard ship with all the other crew members...in 1911 as well... I just wanted to know where he was & why he died so young ...they married in 1907 & lost two children before 1911 census came out...am thinking I might have to make a trip to Liverpool sometime in the next month or so... to find out where they are buried ect & the rest of the family as well....... Maybe the Allan line might have some info on Nathan Rankin??? am so grateful to everyone who has helped me on the lovely site....my mum was evacuated to Wales in 1942 with two small children... her first husband was in the army... she never came back to live in Liverpool full time only use to visit a lot [ every month] after the war... but all her family where still in Bootle.... her maiden name was Foxley & her first married name was Irving.

Many Thanks.
lily8

Hi again I have looked in the National Archives and other sources for any records relating to Nathan but as yet none found in the Mercantile Marine just thinking his first name may have been other than Nathan but early days yet. I did see his other census record for 1911 on board ship but no discharge numbers were listed, I will have a look and see if the Allan Line records are held at Liverpool and get back to you.

What side of the family are you trying to track down if you can list that we will assist::::::::::::::::::

Cheers
Lily
lily8

Hi again I had a look for any records in Liverpool for the Allan line but not a lot coming up but if you are doing a visit then a call to the Family History Centre at the William Brown Library would be worth a try and the staff are very good with assistance. I guess that your Mum was Gladys Foxley born 1918 and who married Eric Foxley in 1937 had two kiddies born 1939 and 1942. Gladys' mum was Mary E Smith and dad William Foxley who married in 1917?????
Lily
welshlady

Hello again Lily....Yes that's my Mum...I also had a look for the Allan shipping line as well...thank you for your help with everything.. I have most of the info about her family.. Just loose ends needed ....I can't find when & where my g/father William Foxley died ..he was born in 1893..married Edith Smith ( my g/mother) in 1917 in West Derby...??? I can remember Edith S.mith coming to see us when we were young she passed away in 1953 in Walton Park...but never him so don't know what happened to him...& I can't find his death.... Nathan Rankin was born in Scotland am going to have a look for his family... to see if he has a middle name !?!?..Thank you once again for your time & help.. Have a good day & take care.
welshlady

Jan wrote:Hi Welsh Lady,

It may be a costly business trying to find a divorce record, have a look at this link https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

There may be records at The National Archives at Kew, Richmond, Surrey.

Jan

Hello Jan ...Wow had a look on the site you sent me & yes very expensive!! as I don't know for sure if a divorce was had between them..(family) thank you for your help Jan am very greatful....take care & best wishes.
welshlady

welshlady wrote:Forgot to say he was born in Scotland in 1878.....married my g/aunt in 1907 in Liverpool.....

Hello Bob ..Just want to thank you once again for the photos ...my sister & family's have been blown away to see where our family use to live...many thanks once again!
BOBHAMO

hi welsh lady took these a few years ago nothing has changed :D :D
st matthews church hall and are own wilsons dairy with cows :D :D
are the highlights of thornton road a play ground of my childhood :D :D :D
if you have any local address of family and the houses are still there
i am sure i can get them :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
42aitch

Just catching up on this post as I have been to France & Belgium to see the WW1 Battlefields and Memorials with a friend, we put wreaths at the Menin Gate and Thiepval.

Glad that you have confirmed the correct Rydal Street, I lived close by, the other side of Webster Street, Bowden Street, and used to walk past Rydal to go to school at St Elizabeths. Well done to the Genies for coming up with all the information and of course to Bobhamo for the photographs.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
BOBHAMO

1962 eileen :D :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
welshlady

Thanks once again Bob.......Am loving the photos spent a few hours going through the ones on this site the other night , they are really interesting to look at...my G/mother Annie Moody [sister to Edith Rankin] they lived at ... 3 Aldarns Grove..Kirkdale...in the 1881 census... [ forgive me if its not in the Bootle area].... you said that Thornton road was built in 1904 & my family where living there in 1911 so maybe they where the first to live in number 48.....I am so glad I came across this site have found out so much more than we new..

Best Wishes

Welshlady.
Elaine Goulding

Hi Welshlady!
What a find for you, meeting all these wonderful people on this site. I have said it before, but I am going to say it again, they have helped so many people track down relatives, births marriages and deaths, the list goes on. Bob is also tireless in digging into his archive of Bootle and what he does not have (which is not much) he will go out of his way to find. I have spent many hours following stories on this forum linking people up with long lost relatives. If one genie cannot find what you are looking for another one will chip in and help. Well done everyone!
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982