The Maher & O'Brien Brien Familes

Find Bootle friends and family here
alamo11

Hi Thank you for the responses requesting information about the Maher Family who lived in Dove Road Orrell Park in the 1930's to 1960's.
If anyone knows about thee O'Brien Family from Viola Street Bootle from 1943 to 1970. I am asking again as there may be some of the "new" people on this site that may have some knowledge of these families?
I would be very grateful, I have had some responses but I would like to ask if anyone knows about Andy & Ruby Maher from Connolly Avenue in the 1940 until they both passed away. Their family were Andy (now deceased) Linda and John I think there was another member of the family? I did have contact with Linda however when my computer crashed last year I lost all my information including contact on this site. Please feel free to send me anything you may know a can remember. Kindest regards Maureen O'Brien (now Prescott) mprescott1@optusnet.com.au Thanks again if you can help.
Liverpool Docks 1957-63 Left U.K. 1963. NZ 8 Years. Australia 39 years. Maureen O'Brien Viola St. Like to hear from anyone who may remembers us.
Nikkibernyfuller

Hi, I'm Nikki, mother to Catherine maher, granddaughter too Ste Maher and Winnie Connor
Last edited by Nikkibernyfuller on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mack
Site Admin

Hi,

I've moved this over to our "Looking For" Section for more replies and left the original in "Chat About Anything" too.

Mack
vera

I remember Andy and Ruby Maher . I lived in Wood ave Bootle no 46

My cousins thr Maher family lived at 48 Wood ave back to back with the

Big House. Walton.

will pm you with more private info.

Cheers Vera (Francis) Cunningham.
vfc
Bill Tomo

vera wrote:I remember Andy and Ruby Maher . I lived in Wood ave Bootle no 46

My cousins thr Maher family lived at 48 Wood ave back to back with the

Big House. Walton.

will pm you with more private info.

Cheers Vera (Francis) Cunningham.
Vera, I went to school with Micheal Maher who lived in 46 or 48 Wood Ave., he was quite a rebel, he was in my class in Saint Monicas, a few years ago I did some work on the windows at 46 or48 Wood Avenue, for one of Mick's relatives, I think she was his sister, I was asking about him, and the lady said he lived up near the Black Bull somewhere, also just across the road from 46, lived another schoolmate John Fealy, do you know if they are still alive as I would like to make contact with them.
Kindest regards, Bill Tomo..
bambi

Hiya Bill,my very dear friend Alma Maher was married to Mike Maher,sadly she passed away a few years ago.Last I heard Mike was living just behind the Windsor Castle,in Orrell park..Alma and Mike Regardsdivorced many years ago but they were in touch not long before she died.Regards Bambi.....
keep youre hat on,slap on the sun cream...you know it makes sense......
PETER CRAIG

Nikkibernyfuller wrote:Hi, I'm Nikki, mother to Catherine maher, granddaughter too Ste Maher and Winnie Connor
Welcome to the Bootle forum Nikki,
Peter.
vera

Hi Bill. If you went to school with Michael you must have known my

Brothers Ted Francis.. And Stephen Francis... Steve was same

Age as Michael but Passed away some years ago.

John Feeley yes he lived across the Road from us.

I will give my Brother a call to see what he knows any info on

John .
Cheers
Vera.
vfc
Myra

Hi Vera if you remember my sister Sylvia & I lived in 27 Wood ave. I think it's Christine Maher who now lives in wood avenue. I was Joan Mahers friend & Syl was Sheila friend. John Feeley still lives in 29 Wood ave as he took over the house after his parents passed away. Joan & I used to work part time for her eldest brother In the Spenso Bar on Stanley Road just past Stanley Hospital . Was his name Peter ?
Myra
Bill Tomo

Vera,
I dont know your two brothers but their names ring a bell, specially Stephen,
But Mick Maher is a St., Monicas legend, a one off, a rebel,

I remember at the time the early Dracula films with Bella Lugosi were very popular, and Mick being quite tall with jet black hair decided to be Bella's biggest fan, remember those Gaberdine Macks that we all wore at the time, well Mick used to wear his like a Vampires cloak and he would go around the school yard with his cloak covering half of his face, and legend has it that when we all posed for the school Photograph Mick was on it with his cloak covering half his face just like Bella Lugosi in the dracula film.. The senior teacher Mr., Musker allways tried to belittle Mick
but it was just like water off a ducks back, they tried to break our spirit but they could'nt, they never could especially Mick Maher's.
Regards, Bill Tomo..
vera

:lol: Hi Bill, how well you knew him yes that was him to a tee.
I was in touch with my brother Ted , Eddie ...now to his wife.

yes John is still at the same addresse my brother said he was talking to him in the Strand about three weeks ago.

Small world Bill as you can see another friend we grew up with noticed
the post. happy days and the rest.. :lol: :lol: Good Health to you and your family.
keep in touch.
Cheers
Vera Francis Cunningham.
vfc
alamo11

Hi Maureen PRESCOTT nee O'Brien my mother Peggy O'Brien was nee MAHER. I have been collating the MAHER family Tree on the BOOTLE TIMES I started in 2008. I have much information back on this website. As there will be many ...many new people using this site and I am hoping that this new POST A REPLY today may find more information needed for my Ancestry from new people using this valuable site. Thanks so much if you can help. I can provide my direct email if you request it. Maureen
The Maher Family Circa 1930/40/50 from Dove Road Orrell Park the Cuckoo Hotel was on the corner of the Road. John Maher married Elizabeth (Known as Dolly) and Ninny to the grandchildren. Their Family were:
1. Tommy Maher dob March 1912 married Annie Cooney had two daughters.
2. Winnie Maher dob September 1913 married Mike Kenny lived in Boswell St. Children: Phyllis /Sheila / Michael / Irene / Colin.
3. Mary Maher dob 1914? married a Walter Price lived in Virginia Street 8 children: Johnny /Walter (Wally) / Ellen (Pat)/ Vera / Phyllis /Marie/ Andrew (Andy) / Joseph (Joey)
4. Andrew Maher December dob 1915 married Robina Taylor aka RUBY lived in Connelly Ave Bootle. Children: Andrew dob May 1942 / Linda dob Dec 1946 /John dob March 1950 / Graham dob June 1954.
5. Anne Maher married Noel Collict they lived in Fazakerly 4 children Frances/David /Noel /Teresa.
6. Margaret Maher dob Feb 1920 aka Peggy married William O’Brien aka Bill 2 children Maureen dob April 1942 married Allen Prescott three children Angela dob June 1961 Della march 1963 Rachel dob June 1966 N.Z. Margaret O'Brien dob 1952.
7. James Joseph Maher aka JOEY dob March 1922 married Mary O’Keefe had 7 boys.
8. Kathleen Maher dob March 1924 married David Morris 2 children Peter and Patricia.
9. Teresa Maher dob September 1926 married had 1 adopted child Jamie.
10. John William Maher aka Billy married May Maher 4 children May Deceased married Peggy had one child Tony.
Any information will help as I can endeavour to follow it up.
Liverpool Docks 1957-63 Left U.K. 1963. NZ 8 Years. Australia 39 years. Maureen O'Brien Viola St. Like to hear from anyone who may remembers us.
alamo11

Hi Thank you all for some responses I have received up to now. Any thing that may seem small will be great.
Vera ..... you mentioned Steven Maher would he have been the son of my mums younger brother Joey Maher married to Mary O'Keefe?
I remember going to visit them with my mum. Thanks Maureen
alamo11

Hi Nikki!
Is Steve Maher the son of Joey Maher married to Mary O'Keefe they had 7/8 sons no daughters.
It would be great if it is I can give you plenty of information regarding The Maher Ancestry if you should require I!
Kindest Regards
Maureen
Sydney NSW
alamo11

Hi I am reading about many Maher people however I need to know the relationship. The name of all the sons from Joey and Mary O'Keefe was Michael one of them and has passed away?
Whom is Christine Maher?
Vera are you Vera PRICE ? Aunty Mary nee Maher Price that lived in Virginia St? Married to a Paul Jones? If not do you know where I could find Vera I hear she is still alive but where she lives seems to be a mystery? I hear she is very private!!
Thank you for listening to me as you will understand this like a HUGE jigsaw and I have not completed the outer Edge yet Ha !

Maureen
alamo11

Hi Nikki
Just started to read through the reply's and found your response.
I have contact now with Terry MAHER and his wife Gene in Canada!
So things have not stopped ha !
Also his daughter Nicola in Canada.
The Price family seemed to have all passed away except for Vera Price but I do not have any contact with her or where she lives all I know is that she still lives in the Bootle area, If I could find out where she is living then that would be a huge stepping stone and help me to complete most of the "missing links" .
Thanking you in advance for any help at all that you genies out there have done for so many grateful others.
Maureen Sydney Australia I can give you my email should you require it.
Lynk74

Hello my name is Lynda Kelly nee Forbes. My mum was Pat(Helen) Price. Her mum was Mary Maher. My mums brothers and sisters were, Pat, Wally, Philiss, Vera, Andy, Tommy, Johnny, Marie, joey. Only auntie Vera is still with us. Vera is 81 now and still very well thank you. If anybody wants any more info, let me know.
alamo11

Mt Dear Lynda!
Thus is certainly an answer to my prayers Ha! Thank You so much for getting back to me I have been trying for years to make contact.
I met you and your sister when you all lived in Fernhill Road you mum had won a lottery and she and Harry (your dad) bought a lovely place with a beautiful garden at the back, such nice memories. I think from memory Harry's mum was visiting from N.Z.?
I am trying to do a (whole family) from Ninny and Gags days ( your mum's grandparents. I have so much to talk about and over the moon to hear from you. Now you also know where you came from and share it with the your family.
Do you have an email address? you can send it to me on the P.M on here(Private Message) or I cab send mine if you prefer?
I have lots of old photos to share with you I am in touch with Frances and Sheila your second cousins! and Uncle Joeys family in Cananda you have second and third AND forth cousin over there!! Is Vera contactable I am very happy to call her if she has a phone number.
Sorry to rush but I have a lunch appointment for my birthday with a few friend in Half an hour But will check for your response once I get home.
Bye for now my 2nd cousin So happy to hear from you Love and BIG HUGS from Maureen and Al xxxxxxxxx
lynne99

I love a happy ending. Thanks all :)
alamo11

Hi Lynne 99 Ha !
Can you get the information that I have asked for in my last post thanks Mo xxx
alamo11

Hi Lynda,
Would you please ask Vera can I call her?
Are you on the email system I can give you my email address it can e done privately through here.
I would love to get the PRICE information so I can add it to the Family tree which goes back to mine and Vera's Ninny and Gags who lived in Dove Road would you tell her I am still in touch with Frances Collict, Sheila Kenny and a few of Uncle Joey's Boys Linda Maher uncle Andy's daughter (She will know all of these) Thank so much really am grateful if I cold make a contact in speaking to her. mprescott1@optusnet.com.au Please if you can so many people will be happy. Love and hugs Maureen Peggy's daughter xxxx
sheady

My mums maiden name was Grace O'brien,when married she became Shead,,we lived in Byron Street, she had a brother named William,he owned an upolsterers shop on Linacre Lane, she also had a sister, Lily,also another brother John,,sadly all passed,,i dont know anything about mums side,when i saw the post,,O'brien, thought i might add something,,,
history finder
alamo11

Hello Maureen back and still looking for information especially THE MAHER families as previously in past years through here. Thanks for all who have been so kind in responding.
I have been onto Face Book however that is not as user friendly as this site! I have seen my 4th and 5th cousins names on there but still have not been able to get their back ground e.g. Who were their..... grandparents / parents/ uncles or aunts cousins as well?

I am still hoping to win Lotto so I can come home (Liverpool will always be in my heart and soul) get every one to come along to a pre-arranged meeting place e.g. Church Hall, Hotel, Pub with a big garden or meeting Rooms access. So ALL the generations from Ninny and Gags can meet and find out all their Ancestry especially knowing that the majority of them ALL live within the Liverpool Metropolitan Area and have never met or knew they existed !!
So if there are any of you out there that are or know a Maher ask them to drop me line so I can start to collate the HUGE I mean Massive FAMILY TREE Ha!

Thanking you all in advance.

Kindest Regards and Sincere best wishes.
Maureen Prescott nee O"Brien (William ) nee Peggy (Maher) Ninny and Gags daughter from Viola Street Bootle.
jacqui maher

HI there am jacqui maher daughter of Martin maher, son of William and Elizabeth ( Dolly) maher. Dad had brother and sisters jimmy billy, Nora and Veronica. Lived in langdale st and went to st Monica's.
alamo1157

Hi Jackie!
My husband called me and asked if I have a cousin called Jackie? I said not to my knowledge.........however.............the Maher family that I came from started in Dove Road Orrell Park near the Carlton Cinema. So I scrutinised your response Ha ! ha! my Granddad was John and my grandmother Dolly we all called them Ninny and Gags. They had twelve children the surviving ones were (from memory) Thomas (Tommy) Mary (Price) Andrew (Andy) Winifred (Winnie Kenny) Anne (Ann Collict) Joseph (Joey) Margaret (Peggy O'Brien My Mother) Kathleen (Morris) Teresa (Married 3 times?) the other three were still birth /deceased. So as you can see there is no connection here. However my Grandfather's brothers was and Andrew Maher who lived off Strand Road Oregon St ? or maybe the next one down. They had a (big) fallout and never ever spoke after that. Maybe this could be your Maher back ground? Hope this helps Good Luck with your searching. We left Liverpool in 1964 going to N.Z. and across to Australia eight years later. Kindest Regards and sincere best wishes Maureen (nee O'Brien married Allen Prescott.
alamo1157

alamo11 wrote:Mt Dear Lynda!
Thus is certainly an answer to my prayers Ha! Thank You so much for getting back to me I have been trying for years to make contact.
I met you and your sister when you all lived in Fernhill Road you mum had won a lottery and she and Harry (your dad) bought a lovely place with a beautiful garden at the back, such nice memories. I think from memory Harry's mum was visiting from N.Z.?
I am trying to do a (whole family) from Ninny and Gags days ( your mum's grandparents. I have so much to talk about and over the moon to hear from you. Now you also know where you came from and share it with the your family.
Do you have an email address? you can send it to me on the P.M on here(Private Message) or I cab send mine if you prefer?
I have lots of old photos to share with you I am in touch with Frances and Sheila your second cousins! and Uncle Joeys family in Cananda you have second and third AND forth cousin over there!! Is Vera contactable I am very happy to call her if she has a phone number.
Sorry to rush but I have a lunch appointment for my birthday with a few friend in Half an hour But will check for your response once I get home.
Bye for now my 2nd cousin So happy to hear from you Love and BIG HUGS from Maureen and Al xxxxxxxxx
Hi Lynda are you still contactable I can send you my email address ifyou like?
Kindest Regards Maureen xxx
alamo1157

Lynk74 wrote:Hello my name is Lynda Kelly nee Forbes. My mum was Pat(Helen) Price. Her mum was Mary Maher. My mums brothers and sisters were, Pat, Wally, Philiss, Vera, Andy, Tommy, Johnny, Marie, joey. Only auntie Vera is still with us. Vera is 81 now and still very well thank you. If anybody wants any more info, let me know.
Hi Lynda I was at Pat and Harry's house in Fernhill Road. many years ago now. I was on holiday from Australia. You may remember me from that time. Harry your dad's mother was there as well I think from memory she was living there I think she may have been on holiday from NZ?
Maureen Prescott nee O'Brien daughter of Peggy O'Brien nee Maher my dad was Bill O'Brien and they lived in Viola Street number 57!
I am in contact with quite a few of the Maher 's in Liverpool and in Canada Joe and Gene and also Sheila and Terry Maher's I have contact with them on Face Book. I also have their emails should you want to contact one of them. I am still hoping to win Lotto and I will be back home like a shot. Ha !
I am hoping that you still are on the Bootle Times site I have been very lazy but getting myself back on track ha !
If you can contact Vera I am at a loss to all the Price Families have no information on them at all? If you would be so kind as to see if she remembers ANYTHING at all I can try to put it together. I am happy to give you a copy once I have collated all the information.
If and WHEN I get back to Liverpool my dream will be to get ALL of the families together in one HUGE room and see what we can all do in getting the MAHER DYNESTY from Ninny and Gags and lots of photo's. I am actually "speaking to" my 4/5/6 cousins at present.
Looking forward and trusting and praying that you are still on this website, kindest regards and hugs from Maureen Prescott your (Pat your mum was my first cousin so that makes you my second cousin.) I heard that your sister lived next door to my Ninny's old place in 3 Dove Road? I heard cannot remember when but she passed away a while ago now? Mo xxx
awelfryn34

My mother was an O'Brien who lived in Bedford Rd with her Mum and Dad and 3 brothers and 1 sister
gazV8uk

alamo11, you have a pm.