Bootle Fire Brigade

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
joefirebobby

Morris Maguris 100 ft .Turntable Ladder at Central Fire Station Strand Road .

Last edited by joefirebobby on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joefirebobby

Fire in Marsh Lane prefab late 1960's .

ImageImage

[/img]
Photographs copyright MFRS .
PETER CRAIG

Great photos,
Welcome to the Bootle forum Joe,
Peter.
Brunnyboy

could have been one of mine fire that is
bootlejoy

Great photo's Joe. Did you work in the Strand Rd Station?
Joy
Joy, Berry St, Bootle, now Perth, West Australia
joefirebobby

Hi Joy
I was in Liverpool Fire Brigade at Bankhall and used to attend fires in Bootle and also we would stand in Central Fire Station Bootle when they were busy , and would turn out from there if necessary .
Thanks for the welcome Peter . .
Some more photos to come , I have permission from MFRS to put their photos on , and I have access to others .
Ed Davies

Hi Joe and welcome will be looking forward to your pics and any stories you have about Bootle.
Ed
bootlejoy

Hi Joe, do you know Billy Leatherbarrow? He would be 65yo now, he used to work in the strand rd depot.
Joy
joefirebobby

Hi Joy

I know Billy , a real nice man , the last I heard of him , he had left the Fire Service and was involved with firefighting or training on the oil rigs in the North Sea .
stevom_2009

hi joe, are you still a serving fireman, a old friend of mine and john inghams served in the fire service. haven't heared of him for a long time, his name was terry lynch. my nephew is the current chief fire officer .danny stephens. steve.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
joefirebobby

One of the many ship fires attended by BFB .

ImageImage

[/img]

ImageImage [/img]

A Liverpool Pump Escape from the same era , their 50 ft escape was called the Liverpool Escape and was made of wood in their own workshop , solid as a rock , it was like a staircase . Photo slightly distorted .

Advert for the Turntable Ladder .

Last edited by joefirebobby on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joefirebobby

I know Danny , I am now a civilian Fire Safety Officer in Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service , I served in various fire stations in Liverpool and also Huyton .

I am originally from Scotland Road , my 2 brothers still live there .

The retired members of Merseyside FB have their own website , I have contributed a lot of photos and items of interest , mostly local Fire Service history to their forum , I am quite happy to share it , after all , Fire Service history belongs to everyone .
Robyn

Thanks Joe, great photos
Robyn
stevom_2009

joe, my grand daughter ellie did a 6months course at utting ave :?: run by your dept last year, we all went to see them being put through their drill and being presented with a certificate. she enjoyed the course immensely it instilled a sense of citizenship and pride into her and her friends. the difference in her and friends attitude to life was unbelievable. steve.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
joefirebobby

Hi Steve
I am glad your grand daughter enjoyed it .
joefirebobby

Gladstone Dock fire 1949

ImageImage[/img]

Preserved BFB Commer fire engine .

joefirebobby

Central Fire Station Strand Road 1966

peter davenport

Hi Joe
Thanks for posting the great photos and welcome to the site.
My dad Rowley Davenport served at Strand Road Fire Station throughout the 2nd W.W. and retired as Station Office in 1965. I lived in the fire station during the early 1950's. Rowley died in 1981 having swallowed too much smoke, including asbestos at ship fires. I well remember the Gladstone Dock fire shown in one of your photographs. As a concession to welfare each fireman attending was issued by the Fire Chief (Mr Greenslade I think) with a large block of carbolic soap to clean themselves up!
Thanks once again and any future photos would be most welcome.

Peter Davenport
joefirebobby

Peter
Small photograph of 3 liverpool firemen at the Gladstone Dock fire .

peter davenport

Thanks Joe. Pity I cannot enlarge the photo as I may have recognised the fire bobbies. Incidentally my grandfather (Rolwey's dad) was an original 'Firebobby' in that he worked from Strand Road as a policeman and fireman.

Peter
joefirebobby

Peter
Up to nationalisation of the Fire Service in August 1941 , there were many Police Fire Brigades including Liverpool in the country .

On the 1st April 1948 when Fire Brigades went back to local councils Police Fire Brigades were not allowed , but in Liverpool , 4 original fire bobbies decided to remain in the Police despite having been in the Blitz as firemen .
lynne99

It's becoming clear now.. My Dad used to answer any question of 'Who was that?' with 'Icky the firebobby's daughter. I never thought to ask who or what a firebobby was. Thanks for clearing thet up
Lynne
JOBO

Hi Joe

My Brother-in Law use to work in the Bootle Fire Station his name was Frank Green a lovely man but sadly no longer with us, maybe you knew him?
joefirebobby

Hi Jobo
I don't recall the name Frank Green , I was at Liverpool / Merseyside FB Bankhall 1972-77 , if he was in Srand Road during that period I may have come across him .
There was a Norman Green who became a senior officer , he was ex Bootle FB who has also , sadly passed away .
PETER CRAIG

Hi Joe,
More great photos that you have posted, I bet you must have some of the Henderson’s fire.
I don't know if you have any info on the Liverpool Salvage Corps,
My eldest brother worked in the company, his name was Joe Craig, I don't know the exact dates he was there but he got a silver medal for long service with them, I know he was with them in the mid 1960's, Sadly he passed away on the 1st January 2000.
Peter.
joefirebobby

Hi Peter
I have some fantastic photographs of the Henderson fire , they are copyright of MFRS but I can put them on the forum , I actually did the Henderson's story on the retired firefighters website in 2010 , MFRS lent me the log book from Hatton Garden Fire Control from that day .

If you go on Google , type in Pathe News , search Henderson's store fire , you can see a news clip of Hendersons the day following the fire , I recognised some of the firemen , it is very interesting .

I also put photographs of the Liverpool Salvage Corps on the website , once again they will be available for this forum .
Last edited by joefirebobby on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

Great photos joe :lol: :lol: the prefab was well alight
did they have asbestos roofs ???
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
joefirebobby

Bobhamo
It does look like asbestos , asbestos explodes when involved in fire , it sounds just like gunfire , we used to automatically duck . :D
PETER CRAIG

Thanks Joe,
Do you have the exact web address for the retired firefighters,
Peter.
joefirebobby

Photographs from the Henderson's Department Store Fire , Church Street Liverpool , June 1960 when 11 people tragically died , a fire engine from Bootle Fire Brigade also attended the fire to support Liverpool FB .

I would like to thank Simon Ryan of MFRS who has given permission for these photographs to be put on the forum , all photographs are copyright of MFRS .

Image Image[/img]

ImageImage[/img]

ImageImage[/img]

ImageImage[/img]

ImageImage[/img]

[IMG]http:

//i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr56/joemac1_2008/th_ef31fa42.jpg[/IMG]
Image[/img]

ImageImage

[/img]

Church Street 2010 .

PETER CRAIG

joefirebobby wrote:Hi Peter
I have some fantastic photographs of the Henderson fire , they are copyright of MFRS but I can put them on the forum , I actually did the Henderson's story on the retired firefighters website in 2010 , MFRS lent me the log book from Hatton Garden Fire Control from that day .

If you go on Google , type in Pathe News , search Henderson's store fire , you can see a news clip of Hendersons the day following the fire , I recognised some of the firemen , it is very interesting .

I also put photographs of the Liverpool Salvage Corps on the website , once again they will be available for this forum .
Hi Joe,
I have just had a look at the Henderson's fire on pathe news,
It must have been horrendous for everyone concerned,
The photos you posted are very good.
Peter.
john j connell

Joe that is some height that the ladders on the turntable extend to and it appears to me from some of the photographs that the tenders were not equipped with hydraulic stabilizer legs, to your knowledge did any of them ever tip over. JJC.
bootlejoy

Thanks again Joe for all the photo's.
Joy
joefirebobby

John
If you look closely at photo 5 , where the rescued people are coming off the ladder , you will notice a jack , the turntable ladders had 4 jacks .
The combined platform ladders (CPL ) of today have 4 massive outrigger jacks , just like big mobile cranes .

The ladders of the Hendersons fire era were restricted in their movement , in Europe for instance where turntable ladders are still in use , they also have large outrigger jacks which allows a far greater movement of the ladder , the head of the ladder can be brought down to ground level while extended .

Sadly , in the past , there were one or two cases of ladders breaking while extended with fatal consequences , but I think the ladders were defective rather than the fire engines toppling over .
davybaby

Brought a Tear to my eye Joe, Superb photos!