christ church primary school

Find Bootle friends and family here
billy gill

Is there anyone on this site who went to Christ church primary school in Bootle 1952-1957?
w.gill
jeand

Yes I did - I was at Hawthorne Road School until I was about 8 and then went up to Christ Church, that would have been about 1955. JeanD
Bootle born and bred, ex Bootle Grammar School and Bootle Tech. Still living in Bootle.
jeand

Yes I did - I was at Hawthorne Road School until I was about 8 and then went up to Christ Church, that would have been about 1955. JeanD
Bootle born and bred, ex Bootle Grammar School and Bootle Tech. Still living in Bootle.
PETER CRAIG

billy gill wrote:Is there anyone on this site who went to Christ church primary school in Bootle 1952-1957?
Welcome to the Bootle forum Billy,
Peter.
lynne99

me too I was there 1954 ish then Bootle grammar
oriel55

Yes I went to Christ Church Infants School in Park Street 1956-59, then Balliol Road Secondary Modern.
Last edited by oriel55 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lynne99

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I must say it again. Does any one remember the 'gingerbread' men in the tar? in the sandstane walls of the Park St School?
alan yates

lynne99 wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I must say it again. Does any one remember the 'gingerbread' men in the tar? in the sandstane walls of the Park St School?
I remember these little guys in the wall of christ church junior school cannot remember how many
:roll:
Alan
lynne99

I thought I must have been haluscinating. So glad someone else remembers
Lynne
lynne99

Are the little men still in the wall?? Perhaps someone could post a photo!!
Thanks
Vivian

I was at Christ Church about 1952-58 and then Balliol Secondary.
Park Street born and bred, Christ Church, Eden Vale, Balliol Sec Mod and Bootle Tech.
rupertthedog

jeand wrote:Yes I did - I was at Hawthorne Road School until I was about 8 and then went up to Christ Church, that would have been about 1955. JeanD
Me too, can't remember dates exactly, but I would have been 8 in 1955. I remember Miss Barrow at Hawthorn Road, then Mr Pike, head at Christ Church, and Mr Campbell, can't remember other teachers names. I lived on Worcester Road near the park.
jeand

I would have been 8 in 1955 also. I lived in Webster Avenue. I remember Mr Matthews my teacher at Eden Vale - I thought he was lovely!
lynne99

Not quite as old as you (5 in 1955)
There was a Miss Roberts from Stuart Road and I think a Mrs Roberts but I'm not sure.
Pegasus

I went to Gloucester Road Primary School (Christ Church) in 1947 then went to Christ Church on Hawthorne Road around 1950, then Eden Vale (a big house) opposite the church in 1952 and finally Balliol Secondary Modern School in 1954 until 1957.

Was the School on Gloucester Road near Aintree Road known as the Primary School? if so, what is the school at the corner of Hawthorne Road and Park Street? In Canada we call it Middle School.

Vivian, I'm sure you and I went to school together and I think I am looking at a photograph of you right now in a school photograph taken at Balliol; if so, I wonder if you remember me, Randall Crossley? 'me man' used to send us to Green's opposite the school on Hawthorne Road to buy meat pies (I can taste them even now).

Earl Road Born and raised.(by 'The Dabber')
BOBHAMO

Hi Pegasus :lol: :lol:
just a few photos

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Pegasus

Terrific photo's Bonhamo, many thanks. What a tear jerker though to see the old road where I was born and raised.
BOBHAMO

So glad it brings back memories
Pegasus
great when a new member jions
thats why its the best site
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Elaine1967

Hi Pegasus,
Not sure if you will remember a fella who lived in that Road, Horis was his name, lived half way up, had lovely roses outside his house and kept chicken in the back yard. Two sisters lived next door to him, didn't know their names.
I'm going back to when I was a nipper, around 1975 ish.
Ms Elaine Twinkle

You're along time dead, make the most of today !!
whacker66

wish I was a nipper around 1975... :lol:
Peter
jeand

Hi Pegasus I went to school with your Joyce?
Pegasus

Hi Jeand

Still living as you do in Bootle, it may not be the 'small world' for you that we ex-pats rave about so much but it is a 'small world' and I'm trying to remember if you were one of the many schoolfriends our Joyce brought home from time to time.

Do you still see Joyce? shopping perhaps in The Strand?

Pegasus (a.k.a Randall)
raymond hose

Born in spring grove and lived in park street. Went to christ church from 1954 until 1959. Then went to the grammar school in netherton.
Ray.
Pegasus

Hi Ray

When you were graduating Grammer School in 1979 I had already been in 'the workforce' for two years (Lamport & Holt Line in the Royal LIver Building) also, I might add, had my very first date with a waitress from Lyons Tea House on Bold Street where the office staff used to go for Lunch.

My God Ray, how time flies; I try to get back to the UK every once in awhile and where I knew Liverpool 'like the back of my hand' I get lost now so easily (even in Bootle where I was born on Southport Road/Earl Road).

I deserted the UK for Canada and now live on Vancouver Island in my retirement (where the grandchildren can't find me. lol).

Anyway, what did you do with your life Ray? still live in Bootle? I read the Echo regularly and can't believe the violence; the extent of the violence in my day was playing Conkers (but a Grammer School boy wouldn't know what that is. lol). By the way Ray, I went to Balliol. I once told an interviewer here in Canada that I went to Balliol and she assumed I meant Balliol 'College' Oxford (yeh right!).

Anyway Ray, nice to hear from you, hope life is treating you well, if you have a moment, drop me a line or two.

Take Care.

Randall
Matt

Hi Pegasus(Randall) Where on Paradise(Vancouver)Island do
you live? Our paths seem to be the same.I went to Christ Church
infants in 1946/7 then Eden Vale then the Grammar until 1958.
RN from '59 until '68 Tahsis on the Island from September'68
until 1976 and Drunken Duncan ever since.
Matt
PETER CRAIG

raymond hose wrote:Born in spring grove and lived in park street. Went to christ church from 1954 until 1959. Then went to the grammar school in netherton.
Welcome to the Bootle forum Raymond,
Peter.
billygooner

hi gang, I went to park street 1946-1950. eden vale 1950-1952. balliol road 1952-1955. bootle tec 1955-1957. then bootle tec night school 1957-1962. for engineering certs. regards billy.
CONNELL

Hi
I've just joined this forum and I lived at 64 Gloucester road. I've lived in Cornwall for over 40 years but return 'home' each year. My house was directly opposite the side door of Christ Church and as a child, often used to watch the children in the playground from my mum and dad's bedroom window. Hours were spent swinging from the lampost outside the school gate. I went to St Monica's school but often attended functions, Christmas and such like, at Christ Church because my best friend, Christine Cottier, who lived two doors up from me, was a pupil there from , I think 1946. She would be 71 now. Does anyone remember her? I would love to find her. I can only recall, that she moved to live in another street in Bootle. Mary Gulliver (Connell)
Elainelesley

I was at ChristChurch Primary from 1960 to 1966 and I do remember the gingerbread men in the walls. I was in the same class as the late Paul Ford, who I believe, was a member of this site and also Janice Long, Radio 1 DJ. I then went on to Bootle Grammar.
oriel55

raymond hose wrote:Born in spring grove and lived in park street. Went to christ church from 1954 until 1959. Then went to the grammar school in netherton.
I also left Christ Church in 1959, but went on to Balliol Road Secondary Modern. I have recently made contact with a fellow ex pupil from Christ Church, Steve Dargan, who also went on to the Grammar School in Litherland in 1959, the same time as yourself. Also in the same cohort heading for the Grammar School I recall were Howard McKenzie and Malcolm Wycherley. Do you remember any of them?
Matt

I was in the same class as Malcolm Wycherleys older brother Robert(Bob) all the way
through Christ Church and the first year in the grammar and had a major crush on their older sister. :oops: .Bob was sensible and took Spanish
in the second year and I took and failed Latin.Lot of good Latin would be to a stoker in the RN. :lol: :lol:
Matt
Finnegan

I am just wondering if Robert Wycherley lived on Gloucester Rd and was his older sister named Grace ?

If so then the world is getting smaller by the minute.
Pamsy

I have pics of this school at my site... MERSEYSIDE SCHOOL DAYS on Facebook...... didn't know about the GINGERBREAD MEN in the wall
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
mayton

Yes I did but did not know many people
Vivian

Pegasus wrote:I went to Gloucester Road Primary School (Christ Church) in 1947 then went to Christ Church on Hawthorne Road around 1950, then Eden Vale (a big house) opposite the church in 1952 and finally Balliol Secondary Modern School in 1954 until 1957.

Was the School on Gloucester Road near Aintree Road known as the Primary School? if so, what is the school at the corner of Hawthorne Road and Park Street? In Canada we call it Middle School.

Vivian, I'm sure you and I went to school together and I think I am looking at a photograph of you right now in a school photograph taken at Balliol; if so, I wonder if you remember me, Randall Crossley? 'me man' used to send us to Green's opposite the school on Hawthorne Road to buy meat pies (I can taste them even now).

Earl Road Born and raised.(by 'The Dabber')
Hi Pegasus, sorry for such a late reply :lol: not been on site for a few years! and decided to come back on this week and saw your text about us going to school together. Really sorry but don't remember the name but then don't remember a lot of names from then unless the are wriiten down with a picture. When you say went to school together do you mean Christ Church or Balliol or both? Not certain what picture you are looking at? My name was Bromby and we lived at 81 Park Street if that helps. Hope your reply is not as long as mine :D
Park Street born and bred, Christ Church, Eden Vale, Balliol Sec Mod and Bootle Tech.