Photo - The Crescent - Bailey Drive

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Mack
Site Admin

Thought this pic may interest a few of our Bootle members who lived up the posh end of Bootle LOL.....

The Crescent... near Bailey Drive + Moss Lane

Mack
Last edited by Mack on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mack
Site Admin

Moss Lane Surgery July 2006

RonKing

Good one of The Crescent, Mack. That shop on the left called Landis used to be Mortons Dairy. One of my first jobs after I left school was at thier Maghull Dairy and old Mr Morton used to pick us up at the shop in the morning and take us to the dairy.
Ron
vera

Hi Yes Mack like Ron that was my end of Bootle in the 1950
Ron recall the Morton Family, younger Mrs Morton had the one
daughter Marjie ( the one and only)????
Ron was your nick-name Kingee,
you might remember my younger brother Steve Francis,
or Frano good at footie for Bootle Boys.
Cheers Vera,
RonKing

Hi Vera.
Yes I was known as Kingy though I don't recall your brother. Where did you live and which schools did he go to?
Ron
vera

Hi Ron we lived in Pennington Ave same road as Roberts School.
we went to St Robert Bellarmines Harris Drive.
then on to St Monicas. Fernhill Road.
Steve. played footie for both school teams,
was a paper boy for Mr Dawson. Orrell Rd.
Steve. sadly he passed away 5 years ago.
Cheers Vera.
Pamsy

lot of memories there....I remember MORTON's very well and loved their ice cream, very creamy. also the butcher shop and you could look in and see the butcher chopping the meat and blood on the wooden table top...
It's great seeing all the pics again....

Vera, my friend Anne Ellerbeck, well her gran lived on your street and she was a great seamstress but I can't remember her last name...and two boys in my class lived on your street BATEMAN and the other had a first name of Leo.......two very tough kids and probably ended up on the wrong track....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Sheila Graham
Location: Adelaide, South Australia. Formally Fernhill Road, Bootle

Mack wrote:Moss Lane Surgery July 2006

----
Is this Old John Flanagans surgery?, then his nephew took over, not a patch on his uncle though..sheila.g
vera

Hi Pam yes i do remember Ann Ellerbeck. her dear g.mother
lived at no21 we lived at no25the Batemans lived at no33,
Ann grandmother yes you got it right. she was a seamstress,
in fact she made all my older sister Eileen wedding and bridesmades
dresses,I will contact my sister back in the UK. to get the name of
Ann"s grandmother, olso recall the Batemans,lived at no35,
do you remember the Batemans cousins that came to live with them
Who went to Roberts school Ivy Grace,
might have been a little younger than yourself,(With respect)
just trying to remember the year,any how it was way back.
thank you Pam for your memories, cheers Vera.
Pamsy

Hi Pam yes i do remember Ann Ellerbeck. her dear g.mother
lived at no21 we lived at no25the Batemans lived at no33,
Ann grandmother yes you got it right. she was a seamstress,
in fact she made all my older sister Eileen wedding and bridesmades
dresses,I will contact my sister back in the UK. to get the name of

Hi Vera, can you help me find Ann Ellerbeck? I don't have her married name and we were very good friends...she became a nurse...she used to live in Moss Lane, in fact my uncle is in Autumn Lodge and that building is located on the ground where Ann's house used to be.
Any idea whatever happened to Bobby Bateman, he was always in trouble at school and wasn't a very nice kid?
I think I do remember Ivy Grace.....
Isn't this wonderful going down memory lane? thanks to Mack we can do this on his site.....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Pamsy

Vera,

I had a lot of friends at Robert Bellermine's and St George of England....we probably knew the same kids.....also, my parents used to live on Clemmey drive by the Crescent and then they moved to Netherton area....but GOTTS lived next to us on Clemmey and Mrs Gotts became my babysitter and a very close friend of family....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
n3ttl3

Hi Pam

Do you remember the Toppings from Clemmey Drive? Lizzie Topping was my Godmother! :)

Annette
vera

:D Hi Pam i do remember one or two from Clemmey Drive Hurley
Madden, do you recall the Spence family who lived
the first block on Southport Rd Mrs Spence had 22 Kids,
yes 22, sorry i do not know the where Anne Ellerbeck is.
my Maiden name was Francis.
i think this is a great site i recommend it when ever i can.
I am a Red- Cross Volunteer and meet many people,
only yesterday some one picked up on my accent and asked
me what part of Lancashire i came from, this lady came from
Bootle olso. small world she told me her Father had five shops
around Bootle her name was Kirk she has some photo at home
she will bring to show me, cant wait, Cheers Vera,
Pamsy

Do you remember the Toppings from Clemmey Drive? Lizzie Topping was my Godmother!

Vera, if you give me a house number I would know....some of the names escaped me...remember the back entrance way? so if you lived on the side of street we lived on the back yard had a gate leading out to an alley....I think WHEELER lived next to GOTTS...it was a cobblestone street for many years
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Pamsy

Pam i do remember one or two from Clemmey Drive Hurley
Madden, do you recall the Spence family who lived
the first block on Southport Rd Mrs Spence had 22 Kids

Mr Hurley was my teacher in JUNIORS, don't know if his family lived on that street though...Spence family sounds familiar to me...

I remember in JUNIORS Mr Robertson, a teacher, always said BETTER LATE THAN NEVER, so if you came to his class late he didn't mark it down....I never forgot that.
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Pamsy

small world she told me her Father had five shops
around Bootle her name was Kirk she has some photo at home
she will bring to show me, cant wait, Cheers Vera,

Hey Vera, ask her if she knew a SCHETTLE as they owned a produce shop in the Captains Lane area, by the MOUNT PUB on Galsworthy avenue....I went to school with Billy Schettle and he had a brilliant mind, often wonder what happened to him....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
margaret willee

I lived in the posh end off Baily Drive nr, 91. and shopped here .... love to here from you . now live in Denmark
have a great day .......
Sheila Graham

margaret willee wrote:I lived in the posh end off Baily Drive nr, 91. and shopped here .... love to here from you . now live in Denmark
-----
Hello Margaret...fancy meeting you here....LOL...Will reply to your mail soon, promise...sheila.g
red ron

Hi all, I still do an odd bit of my shopping in the Cres. Got to wear a tie to shop there. Ron
Pamsy

red ron wrote:Hi all, I still do an odd bit of my shopping in the Cres. Got to wear a tie to shop there. Ron
How times have changed, ay Ron? I used to love their sweet shop and the butcher he always had his back door open so you could see him butchering the meat and cats hanging round the place.....behind the Crescent is the back alley that leads into other streets and one of them was Clemmey drive....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
red ron

Hello Pamsy, as a lad working with plumbers, I was helping to restore all the lead on the Cresent roof and the surrounding area, including Clemmey Drive. That was about 1949-50. I have lived in Orrell Lane now since 1969. Great area around there. All the clinker built houses in Johnston, Pearson, Turner Ave's etc ave all been rebuilt and the entire area looks good. Best wishes to you and yours, Ron.
frank delamere

Mack wrote:Thought this pic may interest a few of our Bootle members who lived up the posh end of Bootle LOL...

The Crescent... near Bailey Drive + Moss Lane

Mack
hi mack, my cousin owned the shop on the left. his name was len delamere, it was a grocers. next door was owned by?? jarvis, this was a greengrocers.
at the other end of the crescent second from end was a chip shop, my aunt nora delamere owned this.
frank
Pamsy

Frank how long did your relatives own the shops there? I have a pic of Daley Place where my nin lived for 60 yrs and it still looks the same on my pic as it did when I was a kid but was wondering if that street has all been changed now...it had slate roofs? I can send in the pic but I may have already actually....It was off Turner avenue and opposite Farmers Place
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
annie

i remember the very end shop was a butchers owned by a man named jackie kewn. it is now an undertakers .
frank delamere

Pamsy wrote:Frank how long did your relatives own the shops there? I have a pic of Daley Place where my nin lived for 60 yrs and it still looks the same on my pic as it did when I was a kid but was wondering if that street has all been changed now...it had slate roofs? I can send in the pic but I may have already actually....It was off Turner avenue and opposite Farmers Place
pamsy, to be honest i dont really know the dates, but approxiamately
they owned the chippy first, that was my uncle and aunt, about 1956 to about
1980. their eldest son len, ran it. i think his family lived over. then, he took over the end shop, for groceries, guessing again, about 1975-6.
my aunt and uncle lived in the first house opposite the chippy on southport road. one of lens sons is in australia now. will try and contact him for more info. lens wife lives now on bailey drive.
frank
ron waters

PAMSY I am a cousin of Frank Delamere and I have been in touch with
Joyce another cousin who lives in Maghull and its her mother who had the
chippy on the crescent and she told me her mam had the chippy from 1954 until 1961 then auntie Noras son Len took it over for a few years
then he sold it and bought Mortons shop further along the crescent.
I hope this helps you from RON WATERS
frank delamere

ron waters wrote:PAMSY I am a cousin of Frank Delamere and I have been in touch with
chippy on the crescent and she told me her mam had the chippy from 1954 until 1961 then auntie Noras son Len took it over for a few years
!thanks ron" for getting me out of the mire. just sent this to lens son, see if he is interested.
frank
Pamsy

ron waters wrote:PAMSY I am a cousin of Frank Delamere and I have been in touch with
Thanks Frank and Ron...I would have shopped there in the 50's and early 60's so was wondering....my auntie collapsed in that entry way in 60's and died in her mum's arms, they had been shopping at the Crescent..the entry way is beside the first house there on Southport road...

Frank, did you used to be on a scouser list? as your name is very familiar to me...ha ha...
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
frank delamere

Pamsy wrote:
Thanks Frank and Ron...I would have shopped there in the 50's and early 60's so was wondering....my auntie collapsed in that entry way in 60's and died in her mum's arms, they had been shopping at the Crescent..the entry way is beside the first house there on Southport road...

Frank, did you used to be on a scouser list? as your name is very familiar to me...ha ha...
pamsy, the only one i can think of would be the bootle knowhere guide, or
www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk
which one would you be thinking off. do you really know me
frank
Pamsy

Hi Frank, yeah that's where I have seen your name on that list...ha

I am on that list also...though I haven't checked it out lately.....you have to go in there for messages you aren't reminded like you are on here...so I tend to forget its there
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
frank delamere

Pamsy wrote:Hi Frank, yeah that's where I have seen your name on that list...ha

I am on that list also...though I haven't checked it out lately.....you have to go in there for messages you aren't reminded like you are on here...so I tend to forget its there
pamsy it happens to us all, getting old i mean
frank
Pamsy

well Frank from what I remember of you being on that list you were very informative and I found my long lost cousin on the Litherland one as I went in there asking about the nursery school I used to attend in Litherland and there she was, she answered my reply...small world
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
Sheila Graham

[
pamsy, the only one i can think of would be the bootle knowhere guide, or
www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk
which one would you be thinking off. do you really know me
frank[/quote]
----
We have exchanged mails on the bootle knowhere board Frank, but I don't think you have been on the scousers...sheila.g
dockersdaughter

Used to go for messages to those shops when I was a kid in 1940's and looking at that photo from the left the shops were then Mortons dairy, Ross fruiterers,Scotts bakery, Sweet & ciggy shop, Standish Chemist, Irwins grocers, Drapers shop, Ironmongers,Fish and chip shop, Butchers
Pamsy

Used to go for messages to those shops when I was a kid in 1940's and looking at that photo from the left the shops were then Mortons dairy, Ross fruiterers,Scotts bakery, Sweet & ciggy shop, Standish Chemist, Irwins grocers, Drapers shop, Ironmongers,Fish and chip shop, Butc<<

Hey Dockersdaughter, you have a great memory....ha...boy that brought back a lot of memories to me, used to love going to those shops and if you turned around and looked across the roundabout you would see wooden benches which the elderly would sit on to get some air and socialize...later on they removed those benches and a bus stop took over.....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle