Williams family, Marsh Lane, Bootle 1900-1960's

Find Bootle friends and family here
Thommos sister

Good decision JanetD :) We shall be very interested in the certificates.
He's not my Wm Wms...he's the one we think is yours that I made GRU contact with.
See early posts.
As we scousers say "It'll all come out in the wash" :wink:
T.S
lily8

Sorry I am a bit lost aren't we all looking for Janets William Williams Tina??
Lily
Janetd

Hi TS/Lily,

I followed up on the birth of Charles Williams born in 1879 1st qtr W Dby rego, but this Charles' father was not William. I have now asked them to run a search on the entry dd Jul-Sept 1878 W Dby rego, which would still have made him <3 at the time of the 1881 census. Am still awaiting a copy of Stanley's certificate. Will let you know what I find out.
Rgds,
JanetD
Janetd
smoked out

I have seen no mention in the thread of bisto williams and his wife nelly who livedn in 28 boreland street , teresa , mary robert joseph john and peter and margeret their children.
in boreland for sure 50,s till houses knocked down sixties.
Janetd

Thanks for this SO,

every little helps, however, these are names that I don't recognise. The trouble with the Williams line is that it is one of the most common names and in the early 1900s families were so large, that there could be enormous parts of the family that I know nothing about!
Rgds,
Janetd
Janetd
Janetd

Well done TS, you were spot on here! Just received a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate - Mother's maiden name Ascroft!!!

Would love to know where you are finding your information as you seem to be turning up more accurate information than I am finding. Will let you know as soon as I receive his elder brother's birth certificate.

Many thanks, JanetD

1881 Martha Ascroft 25 sis in law of James Hanlon.
If you are using family search 1881 try James Hanlon bn 1849 Lancs living in Lancs.
(by the way he was a Master Chamois Leather Dresser)
Martha is a dressmaker, later in census she is an Upholsterer.
(James marr Mary E (Ellen?)Ascroft in 1872 St Alban)
There's also a James A Ascroft 14 listed as 2nd cousin
Her parents in 1861 were Thomas & Margaret.
They are still in Bootle in 1871, no Martha listed.
Janetd
SANDRA NACINOVICH

Janetd wrote:Ah Nelson does ring a bell, but my grandmother always had a very formal relationship with her neighbours, so I only ever knew them as Mr & Mrs Nelson, but perhaps now their daughter's name will come to me. Stanley Williams was my grandfather, but I don't recognise either of the other two names.

Thanks for the information, though Ed.

Rgds,

Janetd
My name was Sandra Nelson I lived at 314 Marsh Lane from 12/3/43 until 17/11/64 when I married and moved to Australia.I remember the Mr Mrs Williams well am I correct they had one son who lived in Southern England
PETER CRAIG

SANDRA NACINOVICH wrote:
Janetd wrote:Ah Nelson does ring a bell, but my grandmother always had a very formal relationship with her neighbours, so I only ever knew them as Mr & Mrs Nelson, but perhaps now their daughter's name will come to me. Stanley Williams was my grandfather, but I don't recognise either of the other two names.

Rgds,

Janetd
My name was Sandra Nelson I lived at 314 Marsh Lane from 12/3/43 until 17/11/64 when I married and moved to Australia.I remember the Mr Mrs Williams well am I correct they had one son who lived in Southern England
Welcome to the Bootle forum Sandra,
Peter.
Thommos sister

Hi Sandra :D
Many thanks for finding the post after a long break and your input.
I hope you enjoy the forum!!

Thommos sister
Janetd

PETER CRAIG wrote:
SANDRA NACINOVICH wrote:

Rgds,

Janetd
Welcome to the Bootle forum Sandra,
Peter.
Hello Sandra,

How wonderful to hear from you. I have a distant memory of sitting on the steps of your house with you during a holiday/holidays at 316. More recently, I have been trawling through my family background/memories, which has brought my childhood to the fore. My dad was the son, who lived in Southern England (Essex) and after my gran died in 1968 Grandad came to live with us. However he also died in Liverpool during a visit to his sister in 1973.

Sadly that cut my family links with the City, but its one of those places that never leaves your heart and, as an adult, I've probably visited every 2-3 years and have various friends living round and about. How about you, do you ever get back there?

Regards,

Janetd
Janetd
Janetd

Thommos sister wrote:Good decision JanetD :) We shall be very interested in the certificates.
He's not my Wm Wms...he's the one we think is yours that I made GRU contact with.
See early posts.
As we scousers say "It'll all come out in the wash" :wink:
T.S
Hi Thommos sister & Lily8,

Sorry its been such a long time since I pm'd you both. Its taken me ages to get some definite information about William and the rest of the family and I am still only back as far as his parents now as I've been trying to move back on all my grandparents' families at a similar speed.

Can you let me know if either of you have access to thegenealogist as that is where I have stored my family tree. If you do have access it would probably just be easier for me to share it with you.

Regards,

Janetd
Janetd
Thommos sister

Hi Janet & Sandra
Wonderful connection, so happy for you both, awesome :D
Sorry Janet don't use Genealogist, did a trial run once but found it too difficult to find stuff :oops:

T.S
otapiri

I am interested to read about Martha Ascroft. I have a Martha Ascroft in my family tree, b c 1853, parents Thomas and Margaret, spouse unknown. My husband's descended from her brother John, and there's a lot of information about another brother Peter in another post - if it's the same Martha.
Lesley
HvonBlumenthal

otapiri wrote:I am interested to read about Martha Ascroft. I have a Martha Ascroft in my family tree, b c 1853, parents Thomas and Margaret, spouse unknown. My husband's descended from her brother John, and there's a lot of information about another brother Peter in another post - if it's the same Martha.
Lesley
Hi Lesley, this is the entry for the 1861 Census for Cooks Buildings, 21 Litherland Road, Linacre. You can see that Thomas and Margaret were living there with 7 children, including Peter aged 13 and Martha aged 7, but no John.

However, if you now look at the 1851 Census for 42 Marsh Lane, Linacre, you find them living with 5 children including John aged 11 and peter aged 3 but no Martha. The explanation is that by 1861 John was of the age of majority and had moved out, while in 1851 Martha was not yet born.

otapiri

Thanks for the census records. Any ideas whether/how we can confirm this Martha Williams nee Ascroft is the one in our family?
Lesley
HvonBlumenthal

otapiri wrote:Thanks for the census records. Any ideas whether/how we can confirm this Martha Williams nee Ascroft is the one in our family?
Lesley
Do you know more about the John your husband is descended from? DoB? Wife? Anything?
efc46

Hi my eldest brother Len Rowlands lived in 318 with his wife Aggie and 2 girls Lynn &Karen Len past away november 2016 he was the eldest of 12 his mother and father in law ( Johnny Large) lived in the
the house with stables were the Garage is now Our Len took his family to N Z in 1964 come back 2years later and lived in Mead Way until his passing last year he was 88 Aggie past on about 10 years ago
this post brings back so many memories Our George lived 269 Litherland Road also past on I have lived in Brisbane Oz since 1967 we never forget our roots thanks for the post /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle