Sheelagh Youssef's dad Ned's Ribble Bus Co. Memorabilia

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
King Tonka

I’m starting this thread for Sheelagh Youssef, it will have items from her dads days a Ribble bus driver,
I’ll start with a few photos of her Dad Ned Kearney, some with his work mates. :D

Ned's the gent in the black suit sat on the couch in the first photo and is easily recognisable on the next pics. :)
Tommy Massam, Sid Blackburn, Dick Jordan, George Ratcliffe, Stan Morrissey, Reg Ostler, Eddie Mallon, Mick Woods, Joe Corrigan, Freddie Watts,
Tub Wilson, Alex Fenton, Arthur Shone, Ned Kearney, Billy Morgan and others from different depots.
Back row left to right, John Seddon, Joe Corrigan, Don Shelly, Gus McDonald, George Wright and Centre row left to right, Ned Kearney,
Tub Wilson, Sid Blackburn, Joe Gallagher, George Cave, Frank Potter, Vinnie Dawes, Stan Morrison. Front row left to right, Fred Dark- General Manager, Ribble Motor Services, Peter Harrison, ?, ?, ?
Back Row left to right, Norman Jordan, Arthur Shone, Ned Kearney, Freddie Watts. Joe Corrigan, Tommy Massam, ?, ?
and front row left to right, Bob Roberts, Sid Blackburn, Dick Jordan, ?
Arthur Shone, Ned Kearney, Billt Crosbie, Arthur Ellis, Allan Ennis, Freddie Watts, Jimmy Spencer, Jimmy Torrance. Dick Jordan,
Len Parry, John Foster, Tub Wilson, Stan Morrissey, Sid Blackburn, Billy Stock, Derek Devine, Billt Knot, Ray Weedon, Harry Lewis, others from different depots.

I think I recognise the bloke with Ned in the last photo, he was the Manager of the Parkside Club and it looks like the corner of Aughton and Hawthorne roads in the background.

More great stuff of Neds to follow shortly. :D

... also some of Sheelaghs Dads other photo's can be found on Keiths (Bonesy) thread http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... php?t=7646
Last edited by King Tonka on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
loko

,hi/i worked at bootle garage from 1979 to2007.i can put names to a
few of the faces on the photos,sadly a few have pasted on ,some went
on to be inspectors,when i started on ribble as a conductor,big wheel
drivers were the top dogs in the garage.ron and irene h.will know more
names on the photos. LOKO.
Ron W

First of all TK thanks for showing all the pictures , Loko says I and IRENE should know most of them men , I can remember them all , but Irene will remember one in particular because she is married to one of them , On the second photo from the top and the young fellow 2nd from the left is her husband Peter , he is the one wearing the Football Boots
I am not on any of those photos because I left Bootle Depot in 1963 and went on the Corpy and then after about five years I went to Aintree Depot , back on the Ribble , funny thing is Aintree closed in 1995 and I ended up back at Bootle Depot
Ron
King Tonka

Good Stuff Ron, :D

This is what makes the site so good at times and very rewarding for me, bringing back good memories for members thanks to Sheelagh's generosity. I told her yesterday that I don't see it that I'm just helping her by putting these on, I'm joining the other posters on the site who preserve and publicise Bootles history and am only to happy to be involved.

Ron my neighbour has gone to his daughters, so I'll pass on your regards and show him the pics when he comes home. :)
lily8

Thanks for posting them KT.
Lily
bootlejoy

Now we know where you get your good looks from Sheelagh :)
Thanks for sharing the photo's, extremely good quality, no cracks at all.
Joy
Joy, Berry St, Bootle, now Perth, West Australia
rivermersey

Some great old pictures there, a social history of Bootle. Thanks for posting.
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
King Tonka

Here’s Ned’s Employment contract, then there are four pictures of him with coach parties at Gretna Green.
Lastly is a departmental letter showing that Ned was also an instructor at the Ribble as well as being one of their top drivers. :D
Sheelagh wasn’t too keen to put all of this on the site, but I thought it shows how big a company Ribble were,
the vast range of services they had and places you could visit with them, also the ex-bus workers might like to see them anyway. :wink:

..and Rivermersey you're right about the social history of Bootle, Thanks. :)
Ron W

To give you an idea how big the Ribble Bus Company was , they had depots all over Lancashire and Cumbria , the Head office used to be in Preston , Irene will tell you of the sports facilities they also had , all the depots were involved in what was known as the Ribble League , drivers and conductors would travel all over the Lake Dristrict and Lancashire just to play football and other sports .
In 1980 I organized a Bowling Team at Aintree Depot to play in the Sefton League , but when our boss at Aintree saw all the names on the team , he told me I could'nt register as a Ribble Team , I asked why , his answer was we dont want any bad publicity , I said bowls is a very quiet game , he said , remember the times the football team visited some of the little Depots in the Lakes and the trouble they always caused
Happy days
Ron
42aitch

Did Ned have his own dating agency and then arrange for the Marriages to take place in Gretna!!!!! :lol:

They all seem to be older people on the coach trips so maybe they were visiting Gretna on their Silver or Golden Wedding Anniversaries. :)

Sheelagh's dad Ned was the brother of my Aunty Norah who married my mothers brother Robert Shields, and Sheelagh and I have swapped information on our family trees, so it is nice to see so many photographs of Ned.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
sheila

What great photos Sheelagh, you must be very proud to know your father was held in such high esteem.

Sheila
King Tonka

Here’s some memories from Sheelagh about her Dad to go with the photo’s we’ve put on, hope you’re sitting comfortably… :)

Here are Neds medals and some of his badges, name plates and drivers licenses from over the years.
The medals were for safe driving and as you can see, he was just that also for 25 35 and 38 years service.
Shoulder badges for 37 years safe driving awards, the name plate went up in the coach so the passengers
knew who was driving them and the Ribble badge went on his uniform as did his badge no. CC 21843.

Ned was an exceptional driver with a fantastic record though Sheelagh recalls, the only time her Dad got in trouble was when he overloaded the bus with passengers (mainly Dockers) trying to get home from work. He used to say the mechanics were marvelous for getting the buses going, as there were no spare parts which resulted in fewer buses. This alongside bomb craters in the road etc didn’t make for an easy life and then the police sergeant pulled him up for trying to get these exhausted men home safely. Ned couldn’t believe this jobs worth could be so petty, you can imagine what the Dockers said; her dad never told her the exact words, “##\\!!”. :lol:

He also told her how the conductor or clippie might have to walk in front of the bus during black out to lead them past bomb craters in the road, Sheelagh thought some of the older members might remember this.

Ned was stationed on or near Hightown shore on six week shifts during the war sleeping on his bus, he was on stand by ready to take troops wherever necessary incase of invasion, he remembered there was some kind of wooden snack bar run by a mother and daughter.
Above is a picture of MaryKate, known over here as Maureen or Mo, she’s Sheelagh’s Mam pictured in her Ribble uniform, taken Sheelagh thinks by the North Park.
She’d come over from Ireland, at the start of the war instead of going home to Ireland she went to work as a clippie on the Ribble.
It was while working there she met and later married Sheelagh’s Dad and the rest is ‘Bootle’ History. :D
bootlejoy

what a wonderful collection Sheelagh, you must be so very proud of your dad. And that is a lovely photo of your mum.
You would have been so good on the buses yourself with your personality, you would have had everyone in stitches lol

Thanks KT for posting all this.

Joy
Joy, Berry St, Bootle, now Perth, West Australia
Ron W

Sheelagh
Thanks for showing all your Dads Medals , he got more than
Audie Murphy , I remember Ned very well , he was a lovely man , its also a lovely photo of Sheelaghs Mum , Dont you think the Uniforms were much nicer years ago , with all the brass buttons .
Ron
Eddy Lloyd

Smashing photos. :D :D
Sheelagh Youssef

Hiya KT, While I,m back on for a while I wanted to thank you for the great job you did over Dads things, as you know I was unsure what to do incase it was boring to others. You advised me it would be there for ever showing Bootle History and you were right. Its lovely to see my Mam and Dad when they were young and healthy as well. Maybe sometime in the very far distant future our ancestors will be thrilled to bits seeing all you have done.

Thanks again,
Sheelagh
BOBHAMO

thanks sheila for submiting your family history , i wish i had some memories like K T has posted for you , some great photos and the stories to go with them , as i have said before this site will be the one to search for in a hundred years , just imagine the pleasure it will give are ancesters , thanks bobhamo
King Tonka

Thanks for the kind sentiments but the photos speak for themselves Sheelagh, I was just the monkey on this occasion. :lol: :lol: :lol: As for being boring, this is a Bootle History site isn't it Sheelagh? and if you look closely there has been quite a bit of interest in the thread, so well done girl. :lol:

I’ve updated the staff photos with names supplied by my friend and neighbour Charlie Lovatt, so a big thanks to Charlie for his time and help. He had some nice things to say about Ned and also about our very own Ron W, both in his words “Gentlemen”. I passed on to Charlie warm regards from both Sheelagh and Ron which he was glad were doing so well and he was also fascinated by the idea of this site, I'll have to buy him something better than the usual box of chocolates for Christmas now. :roll: :lol:

Totally agree with you Bob that’s why I was so happy to help out, someone might come on the site in the future and his/her Granddad could be on one of Sheelaghs photos. :D
henry

king tonka.
Could you ask Charlie if he knew the name of the bar in Skelhorne bus station as its driving everyone in my pub mad. :P
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
King Tonka

Hi Henry, :)

Sorry mate, Charlie's gone down to his daughters for a bit, but I'll ask him for you when he comes back. :wink:
henry

ta
BOBHAMO

hi henry the bus station was opened in1960 closed 1989 . part of it became the buzz club , was the bar inside called the ribble bar??? fould this out on yo liverpool site , bobhamo
henry

BOBHAMO.
The buzz club was on the corner of Skelhorne street but their was a pub inside the station totally independent from that club.
I think the buzz club was the former booking office and rest room for the drivers but not exactly sure but ime certain of the pub but unfortunately cant recall its name.
I dont recall it being The Ribble bar but something Scottish seems to come to mind.
Ged

The pub inside was the Valentine bar.
henry

Ged
JUST LOOKED AT YOUR AMAZING COLLECTION OF PUBS
Have you by any chance have one of The Valentine Bar.I know there was a pub in Kirkby called The Valentine
Thanks Henry :D
Robyn

Sheelagh, the photos are great. Thanks KT for posting them...Robyn
Pamsy

[quote="King Tonka"]I’m starting this thread for Sheelagh Youssef, it will have items from her dads days a Ribble bus driver,
I’ll start with a few photos of her Dad Ned Kearney, some with his work mates. :D

Ned's the gent in the black suit sat on the couch in the first photo and is easily recognisable on the next pics. :)
Tommy Massam, Sid Blackburn, Dick Jordan, George Ratcliffe, Stan Morrissey, Reg Ostler, Eddie Mallon, Mick Woods, Joe Corrigan, Freddie Watts,
Tub Wilson, Alex Fenton, Arthur Shone, Ned Kearney, Billy Morgan and others from different depots.
Back row left to right, John Seddon, Joe Corrigan, Don Shelly, Gus McDonald, George Wright and Centre row left to right, Ned Kearney,
Tub Wilson, Sid Blackburn, Joe Gallagher, George Cave, Frank Potter, Vinnie Dawes, Stan Morrison. Front row left to right, Fred Dark- General Manager, Ribble Motor Services, Peter Harrison, ?, ?, ?
Back Row left to right, Norman Jordan, Arthur Shone, Ned Kearney, Freddie Watts. Joe Corrigan, Tommy Massam, ?, ?
and front row left to right, Bob Roberts, Sid Blackburn, Dick Jordan, ?
Arthur Shone, Ned Kearney, Billt Crosbie, Arthur Ellis, Allan Ennis, Freddie Watts, Jimmy Spencer, Jimmy Torrance. Dick Jordan,
Len Parry, John Foster, Tub Wilson, Stan Morrissey, Sid Blackburn, Billy Stock, Derek Devine, Billt Knot, Ray Weedon, Harry Lewis, others from different depots.

WHO IS THE LADY IN THE PIC? her face looks so familiar to me....
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
Pamsy

Robyn wrote:Sheelagh, the photos are great. Thanks KT for posting them...Robyn
I also want to thank you both for posting these wonderful pics...I never get bored with old pics, especially of Bootle people
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
King Tonka

Hi Pamsy,:)
Sheelagh’s just sent me an e-mail asking me to pass on her thanks for your interest in the thread and pictures. :D

She’s said she doesn’t know the lady on the coach, but the one with her Mam and Dad and his mate she thinks was called Mrs Fox. Mrs Fox ended up as a supervisor at Vernons, maybe someone else will remember her.

Sheelagh says she’s sorry she can’t be more helpful though.:)

Cheers
Pamsy

King Tonka wrote:Hi Pamsy,:)
Sheelagh’s just sent me an e-mail asking me to pass on her thanks for your interest in the thread and pictures. :D

She’s said she doesn’t know the lady on the coach, but the one with her Mam and Dad and his mate she thinks was called Mrs Fox. Mrs Fox ended up as a supervisor at Vernons, maybe someone else will remember her.

Sheelagh says she’s sorry she can’t be more helpful though.:)

Cheers
Oh thanks Tonka and Sheelagh for all these great pics, I just love them and that young lady looks like my friend Anne's mum...her married name was ELLERBECK but I can't remember her first name
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
born in Bootle
willo 1

King Tonka wrote:Thanks for the kind sentiments but the photos speak for themselves Sheelagh, I was just the monkey on this occasion. :lol: :lol: :lol: As for being boring, this is a Bootle History site isn't it Sheelagh? and if you look closely there has been quite a bit of interest in the thread, so well done girl. :lol:

I’ve updated the staff photos with names supplied by my friend and neighbour Charlie Lovatt, so a big thanks to Charlie for his time and help. He had some nice things to say about Ned and also about our very own Ron W, both in his words “Gentlemen”. I passed on to Charlie warm regards from both Sheelagh and Ron which he was glad were doing so well and he was also fascinated by the idea of this site, I'll have to buy him something better than the usual box of chocolates for Christmas now. :roll: :lol:

Totally agree with you Bob that’s why I was so happy to help out, someone might come on the site in the future and his/her Granddad could be on one of Sheelaghs photos. :D
Charlie Lovatt is my brother-in-law
Jo. x
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya Jo,
As you can see Mr. Lovatt did us a great favour supplying the names of dads workmates, KT speaks highly of him and I,m very grateful for his help.

By the way I,ve just noticed your new to the site so welcome.

Sheelagh
Last edited by Sheelagh Tequila on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mo

Hiya Sheelagh,

I hope it was ok, i printed a couple of the group photographs and sent them to my old neighbour who is on them, Tub (Bill) Wilson.

He was so happy to see them and remembers just about all of them especially your dad, he said your dad taught him to drive
Mo. M
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya Mo,
I,m glad you were able to do that for Mr.Wilson, I bet he has some happy memories of their Ribble Days.
With the help of KT and Daveowe copies of all this have been sent to the Ribble Museum so I,m sure there are loads of people now who are recognising old friends and work mates and having a laugh about old times.

Best wishes

Sheelagh
jean eaton

Thanks for bringing up this old thread again. I have never seen it before and loved all the old black and white photos. What would we have done without the ribble bus to get us home from nights out in Liverpool. Have had to run like the dickens some nights to catch the last bus home.jean :lol: :lol: :lol: