Demolished area of Balliol/Kings Road

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Jan

:(

I took some photo's today, I was standing in Queens Road looking towards Kings Rd and where College View and Marble Close was, the old council schoolboard building is in the background, the side view of it anyway. All the houses facing the baths on Balliol have all gone, the only building left is the old Council schoolboard office before Miller's Bridge.

I will put some more on.

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan

These are on the corner of Hertford or Exeter Road and in Kings Rd

Very sad

Jan
Jan

This is not a good photo, I think I had the camera on zoom and I didn't realise, it is College View Street sign.

I will have to get some decent pictures.

Jan
sheelagh youssef

Hiya Jan, On Rons posting today of LAST POST I refered to my Mam and Dad being moved out while our house on Peel Road was being refurbished, they were moved to one of the big houses opposite Balliol Baths and were given the top floor to live on for 3 months, and now you say its gone I,m amazed. I know it was a long time ago but they seemed to be such sturdy houses with lots of character. It is a shame, I wonder what will replace them.

Sheelagh
Jan

:D

Hiya Sheelagh,

There are a lot more houses going to be built in the area, here is a pic of some of the new ones already being lived in on Queens Road.

Jan
Mack
Site Admin

hiyya Jan

Thanks so much for these pics. :D

Mack ( Bootle site admin )
sheelagh youssef

They,re nice houses Jan, I hope they will be affordable though.

Sheelagh
Bootlelass-expat

Hello Jan

Thanks for posting the photos, I openned up out of curiosity to see what had happened to Balliol Rd.

Boy did my heart skip a few beats on seeing the College View sign. I have just posted a reply to RJKellet re College View. Millions of wonderful memories are flooding thru my mind right now, that little cobbled road and the area surrounding was such an important part of my life.

A million thanks to you Jan.

Doreen
Jan

Hi Doreen,

The houses that had been demolished in College View were not original houses, they seemed to be be ones that were built in about the 60's or 70's but I may be wrong, they were a more modern style if you know what I mean, so I suppose that area has faced the bulldozers before!

They were fairly small houses with gardens back and front.

Jan
Jan

Bootlelass-expat

Hi Jan

The newer houses were built in the 60's on the debris that Jan(NZ) mentioned that was at the corner of College View and Balliol Rd was their addresses. Going into College View from Balliol the even numbers were on the (r) and odd on the (l), and they were all the original houses.

Timpsons lived in #2 first on the (r).

Behind #'s 2 to 10 was the Carrera Marble Co. Have two cousins that served apprenticeships there and worked there for a number of years.

There was also a church on Balliol just before the Clinic building that is still standing, I was friends with the vicar's daughter.

There was a lot of noise made by us kids running and playing in and out of those entries during 50's. My Grandmother left there in 61.
Doreen
Jan

Jan

I forgot to add this photo, it is supposed to be Marble Close, and the old school board building (side of)

Jan
Bootlelass-expat

Jan,

How do you feel about what is going on. Is the housing and development improving the area.

I can only go on memories and nostalgia. I personnally don't mind the houses going if the area is improving the standard of housing for the locals.

I would of liked to see the Town Hall and all those buildings kept up, but that again is for nostalgic reasons. As I don't live there anymore, I just hope that everything that is being done brings a positive thriving environment for everyone living and working there.

Hope your house is finished soon and I wish you lots of happiness there.

Doreen
Jan

:lol:

Hi Doreen,

There was a lot of mixed feeling in the area, people having lived in their homes for years didn't want to leave, and although the new houses are improving the look of the area they are not that big and don't have the character of the old houses, but it was all planned to encourage new business and jobs in the area and warmer homes. I hated the idea at first, but I have slowly come to terms with it.

The Town Hall area has had a facelift, that all looks lovely now, I think there are pictures on here somewhere.

Jan
Jan

Jan

:lol:

Here is a link to how Oriel Road station looks now, it has been completed.

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/newsarti ... 20&catid=1

Jan
jwalker85@hotmail.com

Jan CCTV isa TV station in China! Joe
It takes all types to make the world go on its merry way!
By the way I feel sure God made it just like the way he likes it!
Bootlelass-expat

Jan Thanks a million for those sites.

Will certainly make sure I walk down Oriel Rd and see the Town Hall, the Station and other bldgs next time I'm "home".
Last time I was at the Town Hall was to see an exhibit of photos and stories about the blitz. Can't remember if it was '91 or '93.

I remember how busy that area was way back when!.

Thanks again Jan.

Doreen
tipster

Just come across this thread,like some of you my childhood was spent,playing in College View, And Barbara mentions living on the top floor,of a big house opposite Balliol Baths, i lived with my Gran in one of them number 89.i have left a message on lost friends, were some one was talking about the Timmins, i remember them well, really nice people.As regards the ongoing work, the more work they do, the more heart they rip out of it, Balliol Baths looks disgusting, it should be preserved, to commemerate the Old Bootle.
TONY