Queens visit to Bootle 1977

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Petersh

Ive been searching for ages now for photos of the Queen visiting Bootle and specifically South Park to inspect a parade there. The reason I ask is that myself and my brother and a friend managed to break through the police cordon and chased behind the Queens car and were nearly able to jump on the back until we were swept up by some soldiers and thrown out of the park. I remember when we got back to school we were made to stand up in front the the school for a bit of a telling off but in the nicest possible way.

If Anyone knows any archive were I could search that would be a great help thanks
efc46

I remember the 1953 visit our school(gray street) walking up Knowsley road towards the clinic and John Pinnington (pinnead) walked into a lamp post knocked himself out as men we still all had a good laugh john has now passed on this is what is what is so good about the B.T. so many memories pop up
Davey Rowlands Bootle
lily8

Maybe you could check with the Echo for this date:::: 21 June 1977 - Royal Visit to St. Helens, Liverpool and Bootle
Lily
WatsonTommy

she came to open the queensway tunnel and inspected me :D and all the lads of 238 SQD from park street T/A barracks BOOTLE :D GEORGE SHANNON TOOK THE PARADE x irish guards we saluted arms to the QUEEN in the south park by the cenotaph 8) back to barracks never got a free bevvy though never liked the royals after that :roll:
fatboyjoe90

Tommy, the Queensway tunnel was opened on 18 July 1934 by King George V, have you been on that salt fish again? :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
Matt

My father was one of the Boys Brigade members from St Matthews Church
that lined the route for the opening of The Queensway Tunnel.He would have been
99 last September ,he was nearly 16 at the time so how old are you Tommy?
Matt
Bonesy

Not the best ever photos.
Lian took these of the Queens visit from the roof of Marks and Spencer on Stanley Road where she worked at the time.

Keith
filsgreen

Great photos, Keith, looks like they were taken with a Kodak Instamatic. :D

WatsonTommy

you see one tunnel you seen them all but you dont pay in London to use most tunnels :D
Invicta

Tommy, the Blackwall Tunnel was opened in 1897 , Kent to East London. It was always free but now they are introducing a charge from Kent . The Dartford Tunnel is £2.50 each way Kent to Essex.. Ken
efc46

I was in Gray street school in 1953 I remember being in Knowsely road (out side the clinic) along side thousands of Bootle kids we were given union jacks to wave so who ever said it was 1977 sorry just check your history on the visit to liverpool (Bootle )by the new queen I am an ex pat I was married with 4 kids living in Brisbane in 1977 so who said on the chat room I got my dates mixed up no I did,nt You did I luv this forum this is not tit for tat/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Sheelagh Tequila

In 1977 we had a burger bar in London Road and I was pregnant with our first baby. I have a clear memory of standing on the step as the Queen passed by. We had a great view as she was only the width of the pavement away from us........

Sheelagh :D
bjones

Think there might be a bit of confusion here. I can remember two visits made by the Queen to Bootle.

The first one was the one I think Davy is recalling. Not quite as early as 1953 sorry Davy. I didn't start school until 1955 and I'm, sure I was at Solly Rd Infants when she came to open the new King George IV Memorial Hall on Knowsley Rd. I'd guess this was 1955/56.

The visit referred to in the original post was 1977 - can't remember what for but recall standing with my son outside the park on Balliol Road as the parade passed.
I expect that this was, as Tommy says, her visit to open the new tunnel.

BTW Matt and Joe, referring to the "new" tunnel as the Queensway is a mistake commonly made by local people. QEII was the reigning monarch when it opened in 1977 so the confusion is understandable.

Incidentally, in 1934 on the day the Queensway opened,my dad rode his motorbike through with his dad on the pillion.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Matt

Hi Bee my great uncle Willie Gleason was designated King George and Queen Mary's personal bodyguard when they
opened Queensway.I used to have the most fantastic book full of photo's from the opening ceremony some showing my uncle along side the
King and Queen but I loaned it to my cousin Anne who was a teacher at Roberts Girls School along with a first edition of The Seven Pillars of Wisdom but
she took them up to the Isle of Arran and when she passed away I contacted her solicitor wondering what happened to all the antiques and her wonderful library
only to be told all the contents of our family home had been willed to the Gilbert and Sullivan Society.Never mind I am sure my lovely kind cousin made good use
of them as a teaching aid.
Matt
Bonesy

Bee, The 'new tunnel' Kingsway was opened in 1971. The visit by Her Maj was on 21st June 1977 to celebrate her Silver Jubilee year.

Keith
fatboyjoe90

Bee, I'm sorry when did i say the new tunnel was the Queensway tunnel :?:
Cheers Joe.
bjones

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Bee, I'm sorry when did i say the new tunnel was the Queensway tunnel :?:
Joe, you didn't. You pointed out Tommy's error and I simply said that many others make the same mistake.

Keith; ta for that. Jubilee visit makes more sense as I seem to remember that local primary schools had floats with the kids representing different Commonwealth countries.

Matt; I'd have loved to have seen that book :(
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that Bee, how are you keeping these days. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
Dan

1977 The Queen's Silver Jubilee visit to Bootle on Tuesday June 21 1977

Twor1998

It is queen's humble visit to Bootle 1977 which was good for us
Glenys

Did the Queen Mother visit Bootle c 1947 to 1957???
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
bjones

That was a long visit Glen :lol: :lol: :lol: Did she have Bed & Brecky at the Winnie on Rimrose Road?
Bee

Glenys

:roll: 😁
bjones

Sorry Glenys I couldn't resist it :wink: . All I can find on the subject is a visit by Q.Mum to Liverpool in 1957.... she could have slipped away for a quick G&T in the Winnie though :D
Bee

Glenys

Bee, No need for 'sorry', like your sense of humour.

When we lived top of Knowsley Road, I seem to remember a Royal car passing our house, it had been to parade at Altcar Training Camp, so could have been Queen Mum. OOps, no, we left in 1955.

Hailstones here, off and on all afternoon.

We have had THREE dry nights, so looking forward to a glass or two, a wood fire and Death in Paradise :roll: :D :D :D :D
Twor1998

Queens visit to Bootle 1977

In 1976 the Queen visited Merseyside. Her Royal Highness was welcomed at Liverpool Airport by the Lord Mayor, Cllr Harry Houghton. On arrival at Liverpool John Lennon Airport, she was met by her representative, Sir Michael Adeane MP, who accompanied her to the City Hall where they were received by Lord Mayor, Councillor Tom Watson. They then drove through the city to meet the Lord Mayors of Liverpool, Birkenhead, Wirral, Sefton and Wallasey, before going on to Bootle where she spoke to the people of that town. She later returned to Liverpool John Lennon Airport.