100 Years ago today.

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ALAMO2008

My Granddad Samuel Chapman born in Bangor St
lived in Willard St from Marriage in 1910
during WW1 he moved to Elizabeth Rd

This is what he was doing 100 years ago today - attacking a Machine Gun Post.on the Menin Road. East of Ypres

He must have been devastated 23 years later, when retreating at Dunkirk in May 1940
fatboyjoe90

Deleted.
Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
graham01

alamo

,very brave man .you must be very proud of him.my great grandad robert hughes was in the same battleion 1/7 kings(liverpool) regt.
he was gassed on the first day of the battle of loos.he was gassed by his own side when the gas bombs set off by the engineers blew back towards the british lines when the wind went in the wrong direction.
he went through two hospitals in france then one in southampton and finally to bootle hospital.he was then transferred to the pioneer corps and served at pembroke docks till the end ofthe war.he then returned to the merchant navy.he died a few years after with lung disease,graham.
picture taken before he went to war.with him is my great grandmother,my nan and my great aunt rebecca.
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
fatboyjoe90

I bet he was a little more than devastated Alamo. :shock: :x
Cheers Joe.
lily8

Alamo your granddad and my grandmothers first husband were at the same battle but sadly J.J. Keegan died and his body never recovered. My brother and I visited the area and also Tyne cot cemetery where his name is on the Kings memorial as are hundreds of others. I often think of his sacrifice and know that I would not be here had he lived so he is remembered with love. RIP J.J.
# 204197 1st/5th Bn The Kings Liverpool Regiment Rifleman John James Keegan killed in action 20/9/1917.
Lily
ALAMO2008

lily8 wrote:Alamo your granddad and my grandmothers first husband were at the same battle but sadly J.J. Keegan died and his body never recovered. My brother and I visited the area and also Tyne cot cemetery where his name is on the Kings memorial as are hundreds of others. I often think of his sacrifice and know that I would not be here had he lived so he is remembered with love. RIP J.J.
# 204197 1st/5th Bn The Kings Liverpool Regiment Rifleman John James Keegan killed in action 20/9/1917.

Link to the Devereux Data base of the Kings Regt at the Museum of Liverpool Life at the Pier Head

This shows JJ Keegan is on there but a visit to the Touch Screen Database at the Foot of the Kings Medal Tower on the First Floor there will perhaps reveal more about his life.
http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/ ... index.aspx

There were Three pages on my Granddad, including Census records 1891 1901 1911 and details of an obituary in the Bootle Times. There was no Photo of him but I found out who controls the database and sent them above photo which is now included on the database.

Don't forget to add him to the Merseyside at War database and tell his story for future generations.
I've put My Granddad and his Brother in Law and my Wife's Granddad on here:-

http://www.merseyside-at-war.org/story/ ... -marriage/
ALAMO2008

graham01 wrote:alamo

,very brave man .you must be very proud of him.my great grandad robert hughes was in the same battleion 1/7 kings(liverpool) regt.
he was gassed on the first day of the battle of loos.he was gassed by his own side when the gas bombs set off by the engineers blew back towards the british lines when the wind went in the wrong direction.
he went through two hospitals in france then one in southampton and finally to bootle hospital.he was then transferred to the pioneer corps and served at pembroke docks till the end ofthe war.he then returned to the merchant navy.he died a few years after with lung disease,graham.
picture taken before he went to war.with him is my great grandmother,my nan and my great aunt rebecca.

Don't forget to tell his story on the Merseyside at War database :-

http://www.merseyside-at-war.org/story/ ... -marriage/

And check to see if his name is on the Devereux Kings Regt Database at the Pier Head Museum