Bootle Lads at Passchendaele

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
ALAMO2008

Researching my Ancestry - I discovered My Paternal Granddad Samuel Chapman born in Bangor St but living at Willard St when WW1 broke out was at Ypres in 1917
His Sister Edith born in Flint Street married a Sgt Robert H Palmer of 4th Btn Liverpool "Kings" from Gloucester Rd on 20 Sept 1917 at Birkenhead Registry Office - he had just been awarded the MM in July 1917 and must have been allowed leave home to marry but returned to the front immediately after marriage. Edith was a Widow 11 weeks later.
Her Brother Sam was unable to attend her wedding because on 20/21 Sept 1917 he was engaged attacking a machine gun post East of Ypres with the 1/7th Btn Liverpool "Kings" and was awarded the MM also.
He returned home in 1919 to his new home in Elizabeth Rd
He Returned again to France/Belgium in 1939 and was evacuated in 1940 from Dunkirk to his new home in Park Lane Orrell

Robert Palmer was born in Barbados and at first the assumption was that he was Afro- Caribbean

Further research showed his Father George was in the Liverpool "Kings" married a Canadian when based in Nova Scotia,
had one son there, then posted to Barbados with his Family where Robert was born
and then posted to Cape Town, where another son was born while he was at Ladysmith.
Before returning to Tuebrook in 1911 and finally living in Gloucester Rd
Robert is buried at Tyne Cot.
Last edited by ALAMO2008 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
billygooner

hi almo, my grandfather was killed in ypres march 1918 (kings Liverpool). regards billy.
ALAMO2008

billygooner wrote:hi almo, my grandfather was killed in ypres march 1918 (kings Liverpool). regards billy.
Hi Billy,

Have you looked to see if he is listed on the Devereux Touch Screen Database at the "Kings" display on the first floor of
"The Museum of Liverpool Life" at the Pier Head ?

Have you also included him on the database :-

http://www.merseyside-at-war.org/

I have included Palmer and Chapman on this database and both are on the Devereux database also.