Visit of King George V to Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
HvonBlumenthal

Here is a photograph of Alderman Peter Ascroft (died 1st May 1917 - this year is the centenary of his death) and his wife Sarah (née Smith) being presented to George V and Queen Mary.

Does anyone have a better quality version of this picture? And does anyone know the exact date of the visit? I think it may have been 1916, part of a morale building exercise during the war.

I once caught a glimpse on TV of a film role of this very scene, but stupidly did not make a note of the programme or channel. Anyhow, film footage exists somewhere.
BOBHAMO

It was may 14 , 1917
he visited gladstone dock which was being
restarted using German prisoners of war as labour
i have the 1903 may day film which might have
alderman ashcroft on
the mayour was alderman Clemmy
also i have a medal july 11 1915 when the king was in bootle
also a fire engine was named after Peter call ed
the ashcroft
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bonesy

Imagefree image uploading

Made it larger, hope you dont mind.

Keith
HvonBlumenthal

That's great Keith, thanks. Sarah Ascroft (née Smith) is the large lady on the left in the light dress and large hat. My mother remembered her as a kindly old thing who always had a jar of bullseyes on top of the cupboard.

Just in front of her is Alderman Peter Ascroft, turned away from the camera, about to be presented to the King in naval unirm with sword and fore-and-aft hat by the current Mayor with spendid white beard (any idea who?)

Off the right of your version of the picture, to the King's left, must be Queen Mary but you can't see her because the lady who was previous in the presentation queue is in the way. On the extreme right (off your picture) I take it is the Queen's chief lady-in-waiting, a small elderly lady.
HvonBlumenthal

This photo must be the 1915 visit of the King then, as Alderman Ascroft who appears in the picture died on May 1 1917, 16 days before the Kings 1917 visit.
BOBHAMO

bootle born altcar road
formbygirl

My grandad often said he played the bugle for the king when he came to visit.
You can take the girl out of Formby - but you can't take Formby out of the girl and me mam's from Bootle!