RUBIERA and some crew members

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Chris Mck

Attached is an old photograph of the crew/some of the crew of the SS RUBIERA, later re named IONIC STAR, which sank 17 10 1939 near to the Bar Lightship.
The photo' was found amongst my late mothers belongings, and I have now been able to establish that my maternal G.Father served on this vessel when it was the RUBIERA, verified from his Merchant Service record. His name was Christopher SMITH B. 31 12 1894 and he died in 1925, drowned in Antwerp, Belgium whilst he was serving on a vessel, SS MELITA. I have been trying for some time to discover more of the circumstances surrounding his death, but there has been very little information from the various authorities, who I would expect might well have the information in the records / archives. From what little I know of him, it is quite possible that he is the one holding the lifebelt in this photo'. Other than this, there may well be someone else out there who had a relative on the RUBIERA and may possibly be able to recognise him from their own records. I apologise for the quality of the photo' but, as I say it must date from somewhere around the 1920s. This has been posted on another site, but there may be someone with access to this site who may have an interest in the Rubiera. If anyone has the means of cleaning the photograph up slightly, then it really would be appreciated. Apologies if the Photo doesn't turn out right first time, but I will ensure that it is posted properly as soon as. Thanks for your help and patience.
Chris McK
Image_________________
BOBHAMO

great story Chris
it was used as bomb practice from woodvale
this is what is left
there was a murder on the ss melita
http://johnaverypostcards.co.uk/The-Mur ... Melita.php
bob hamo
bootle born altcar road
nicolas

Well sourced Bob, what a sad end to a lovely Ship, this how she looked!

Chris Mck

Thanks for the replies so far, and the extra photos of the RUBIERA and her remains. 1925 secs to have been quite a year for the MELITA- what with my grandad and then the skipper getting shot.
Thanks again, the photo's all help to fill in the little gaps about the G.father I never met. Gotta keep searching'
Chris McK
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for posting this old photo and info Chris. :wink: :)
Good photos and info Bob, and Nicolas. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
PeterR

BOBHAMO wrote:Image
great story Chris
it was used as bomb practice from woodvale
this is what is left
there was a murder on the ss melita
http://johnaverypostcards.co.uk/The-Mur ... Melita.php
bob hamo
Is this the wreckage which was seen from Southport promenade ? remember it when I was evacuated there.
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
BOBHAMO

Yes Peter its off formby area
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lynne99

Completely off topic, who were you evacuated to Southport with? My Mum and Dad to a lot of children to Southport at the start of the war. They were there in 1939, but I don't know how long for.
PeterR

Lynne99,
Off topic? no problem, leaving from Ford Station we went to Southport via the old CLC line arriving at their station in Lord St on 5-9 1939 WE My sister cousin and My 2 brothers were put into number 55 and 57 King st (Mr & Mrs Milner) I was 5 and a half at that time, I think we were there for about 9 months as no bombing started until well into 1940-everyone drifted back home and schools opened again , without parental care and supervision -we virtually ran amok and I always thought that the kids from Liverpool and Bootle WAS the WAR for Southport---when the bombing did start we were sent to Hereford we introduced the people of Dylwyn to the war----then after that it was back to Southport-to 55 Promenade (Mrs Bramwell).----That's where I remember seeing the wreck of a ship which lay way out beyond the pier ,
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
BOBHAMO

What a story Peter :D :D :D :D nice to hear your memories
55, 57, 59, King street southport
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
PeterR

Well, Bob, what can I say ? pictures of King St Southport Perhaps this is getting away from the original thread of a wreck off Southport--what do I do ? My memory is as sharp as tack who do I tell of these days
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
BOBHAMO

Peter without the memories of life it would be a sad world,
i am sure your stories of your early adventures :D :D
would be great topics for all our members
which might be forgotten, its all history
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lynne99

Thanks PeterR, it is good to hear about what evacuation was like. My Mum and to a certain extent my Dad took a lot of pupils from St Georges to Southport. My Dad did not stay there, because he was an ARP warden and in the civil defence.