bootle station 1890

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john j connell

Brilliant photo Bob, no third rail showing, when was electrification introduced on the line,is the picture looking back towards the bridge over Merton Rd, i think that the signal box was used up until the late 60s. JJC.
lynne99

BRILLIANT you have surpassed yourself Bobhamo!! :D :D
jddry

fantastic photo bob thanks for posting
BOBHAMO

John it was 1904 :D :D :D
thanks jddry ,lynne
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
IanA

I'm probably being dim here (no surprise there) but there appears to be a very solid arch at the end of the platform supporting a road crossing. As Marsh Lane and Oriel Road are rather elevated, where was this road going?
BOBHAMO

Ian the photos on this post are balliol station london north midland line
where the station went up to millers bridge
the photo for bootle station says its the L Y R LINE
like yourself i was wondering about the stonework
if we could find out which way the photo looks
we could decide what it is
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
IanA

Thanks for that Bob - you are a national treasure. I mis-spent my youth train spotting on Oriel Road station and I had no idea there was one at Balliol Road! Mind, the low level line (which I did know about) was all freight traffic and I'm amazed at the number of porters, other staff and passengers on the platform in the photo.
john j connell

Beginning to think it may not be Bootle, if it is not Bootle i cannot picture it being anywhere on the Liverpool Southport line, ps Ian does the 6- o clock Carlisle goods ring any bells. JJC.
IanA

Faint echoes from the distant past - was it usually pulled by a Jubilee?
john j connell

Most of the time a Jub but quite often a Pate. JJC.
BOBHAMO

SEEN HERE IN THIS COLLECTABLE OLD PRINT IS THE LIVERPOOL AND YORKSHIRE STATION AT BOOTLE ON THE SOUTHPORT LINE PHOTOGRAPHED IN 1890
This print was published in 1971 has been stored under optimum conditions since to maintain clarity and quality.
The print has since been professionally mounted for protection and to ensure longevity
Ideal for framing and a great conversation piece.

Highly collectable nostalgia
I HAVE A HISTORY AND PAPER TRAIL FOR ALL MY PRINTS TO ENSURE CONTENT AND DATES ARE CORRECT.
John i can only say what the photo said :D :D :D
but still cant work out
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lynne99

[quote="BOBHAMO"] and a great conversation piece.[/quote]
And it is indeed. It will keep us talking, and guessing for a while yet I think. :?
john j connell

Bob no way am i questioning you, you get it right nearly a100% of the time, as you say Bob you are only going off the description given, and as you are well aware Bob some of the earlier pictures of the station do look remarkably similar to that photograph. It does look as though it was staged, but once again as you know Bootle was an important imposing station at the time and that amount of staff would not have been out of place, keep them coming Bob, just think, in the future people wont be able to ponder on the mystery of the location of pics taken today, it will just be Google it, done,JJC.
IanA

john j connell wrote:Most of the time a Jub but quite often a Pate. JJC.
I do remember seeing a train coming through, getting all excited, and then it turned out to be Sierra (yawn) Leone.
Elaine Goulding

Bob, brilliant picture! When I first looked at it, the man leaning against the wall with a cane or umbrella looked like Charlie Chaplin!!
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Shelagh

A superb picture of Bootle station, can't believe how different it looked back in 1890..
Wonder when the railway bridge disappeared!
Thought the brickwork was amazing and much in keeping with the station and surrounding buildings, including the town hall of course,,
Maybe the bridge was intended as a footbridge (plenty around in those day's) and the slope leading to the front steps of Oriel Rd station might suggest that a bridge could well have been there once, the Berry St side would have had steps leading up to bridge..
Pure speculation.... but seems to me that the platform buildings on Balliol Rd station would have been wrongly facing, in order to be the station in photograph..
And so the mystery continues;)
Thanks Bob!!
fatboyjoe90

Great photo Bob, thanks for posting it. :wink:
Cheers Joe.