Old photos of Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
fatboyjoe90

Who remembers Fine Fare? :| :wink:

Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Wasn't there one on Stanley Road, opposite the Natwest bank?
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Phil, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, the one you are thinking of was Quick Save.
In the 1960s Fine Fare had shops all over Merseyside and North Wails, the were a subsidiary of Scots the Bakers. :) :|
Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

I didn't know that, Joe, where did it all go wrong for Scott's?
bjones

Wasn't the one opposite the Nat West on the corner of Strand Rd originally called Victor Value? I'm sure I remember "our Henry" mentioning that he worked there as a lad.
Haven't been to the Strand since I moved over to the dark side 15 years ago but last time I was there the former supermarket was a big shoe shop. I remember being about to try on a pair of shoes in there; when I looked down to take off my own shoes I found that they didn't match.....I'd come out in odd shoes :oops: :oops: :oops:
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
filsgreen

🤣🤣🤣
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Bee, what where you taking that day. :roll: :lol: :lol:

I can't remember a Victor Value shop in Bootle. I wouldn't knock Henry's knowledge I can remember a Lennons Supermarket around Bootle back in the late1950s. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
BOBHAMO

1968 Victor Value 290 / 296 stanley road corner Strand road next to Bridges cycle shop
Had to look it up Joe :D :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
fatboyjoe90

No problems Bob. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

I can remember a Kwik Save supermarket, on the corner of Stanley Road and little Strand Road around 1970s. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Tramcar 28. 415 Wellington Road Litherland. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
Gardner 180

Another great picture Joe, :D Cheers, Ray.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that Ray. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
bjones

Here's a couple of postcards;

I'm not sure exactly which part of Stanley Rd; I initially thought it was from around the canal looking towards Litherland just because I thought the "castellated" building was perhaps the Langton on corner of Strand Rd. Now think it's perhaps nearer to Kirkdale: any ideas?

One of my favourites. Think that's the Overhead in the background with the station on the left. My mum used to talk about going down Knowsley Rd to the shore at the bottom in the days before the Gladstone was built.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bonesy

The building with the apex on the left of the postcard looks very similar to the building in this black and white photo.
Bee, id hazard a guess at it being taken from the bridge looking downhill towards the 3 banks.

Keith
Lorem Ipsum

Yes Bonesy, that’s right and opposite the apex building still remains the first building on the right of the postcard, shop fronts have been erected in front of it, look on google street view it’s behind LOVELY NAILS 364
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bjones

Bee, id hazard a guess at it being taken from the bridge looking downhill towards the 3 banks.
Keith
That was my initial thought Keith but the "new" first building on the right was what caused my doubt.
Thanks "Laurem" for the explanation and thanks to Bob, who as always has come up with a pic which clearly shows the situation.

I recognised the old Woollie's from the post war pic but couldn't place where it would have been on the older postcard pic. Perhaps the front was changed when some war damage was rebuilt?

Just thinking about that run of shops pre New Strand....obviously Bob's Gore's Directory is before our time but I remember a couple of other tailors' shops besides Peter Pell's, Woollies, Timpson's shoes and another shoe shop, Ethel Austin's and on the corner opposite the Langton was Boots the chemist.
Bee

paulinliverpool

fatboyjoe90 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:17 pm Collie bingo social club Linacre Road Litherland.

Looked nothing like that in the 1970's, barely looks like the same place :o
georgruth552

Just came across a load of old photos of Bootle Mayday parade and pictures of Holywell Street, more to come.
Bettyjacobsen45

efc46 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:07 am our family moved from Henry street seaforth in 1943 to 75 balfour road me dad moved us to 75 with a handcart eldest brother our Len said to dad hire a horse and cart he replied he did i have 7of them you lot
My name is Betty I knew Alan and his mum Peggy we lived in no 20 I was born there and was there till. They pulled it down
fatboyjoe90

Linacre Lane Juniors School.

Cheers Joe.
Paul McCabe

Here's some pubs (& "Ghost Pubs) along Westminster Road.....(OK it's technically Kirkdale bit let's not be 'picky')

Taken October 2023;

Below;......The Peacock.

= = =

Below;..........The Railway (?) adjacent Kirkdale Station @ the top of Marsh St

= = =

Below;...........The Melrose Abbey.

= = =

Below;........The Sportsman / Stanley Arms

= = =

Below;........The Elm Tree (left) & The Westminster (right)...looking towards County Rd...(The Leigh Arms (Lu-Lu's) in the distance)

Cheers

P
filsgreen

Thanks for taking the time to take the photos, Paul. I counted up how many pubs and clubs we have lost, a couple of years back, it was 79. 😞
Steve101

bjones wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm Dot, that pic looks to have been taken from inside Bowerdale Park which is opposite the section of Seaforth Rd with Lime Grove, Hawarden Grove and Seaforth Vale running off it. I’m pretty sure that most of the properties pictured have now been rebuilt.
That photo would have been taken inside the grounds of St Thomas’s church. My Grandparents lived across in 101 Seaforth Road.
Steve101

JohnWoody wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:02 pm
bjones wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm Dot, that pic looks to have been taken from inside Bowerdale Park which is opposite the section of Seaforth Rd with Lime Grove, Hawarden Grove and Seaforth Vale running off it. I’m pretty sure that most of the properties pictured have now been rebuilt.
Was that Conway St and Beaumaris St meeting to the right? I remember an old lady used to run a small shop where the two roads met.The shop next to Scott’s was a newsagents and comic shop, know locally as Tony’s in the late 50’s early 60’s.
Further down from the park. That is the grounds of St Thomas’s church