Old photos of Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Brunnyboy

remember all the men playing pitch and toss on the wall on the left of the pub also always going over the wall of the pub pinch the empty bottles money back of them
fatboyjoe90

Your right John, I’ve missed read Phil’s post incorrectly.
Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Thanks for the update John, although I haven't a clue where Borland street was :oops:
bjones

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Does anyone remember going into Robert Tudors shop at 106 Knowsley Rd Bootle :?: :wink:

Found this post the other day when I had been rained off working in the garden so had time to go right back for a catch up.
I certainly remember going into the shop at 106 - I was the Saturday girl as a 14/15 year old (1964-1966). I'm sure that counter and the glass case to the right were still there in my day.... the Vantas machine (out of the picture) certainly was :D

The pic is likely to be Robert Tudor Owen, son of Edward Tudor Owen and Margaret his wife who ran the newspaper shop at 106 Knowsley Rd until 1967. This pic will be 1940 or earlier as Robert was killed in action in 1941. Mr & Mrs Owen were bombed out of their shop and moved in with my mum and dad for a while. Mr Owen passed away in 1950 from which time Mrs Owen lived over the shop with her very aged spinster sister (Auntie Kate). I suppose you can tell that I was very fond of these two ladies and loved to listen to them talk of their past.
Thanks Joe for posting the pic.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for sharing your moving story Bee, I had a lump in my throat just reading it. I do know what you mean when you said you loved listing to Margaret, and Auntie Kate. I don’t have any old relatives to talk and listen to anymore, I used to sit and listen to them for hours so at least I have some their memories with me. :wink: :)

BTW that photo is not mine. :)
Cheers Joe.
nicolas

fatboyjoe90

Great photos Nicolas, thanks for sharing them. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
bob. b

Nicolas What can l say never seen pictures like that before my granddad worked in the landton dock has a carter told me about the sailing ships.

Thank you Nicolas you are a star
nicolas

Thank you both, unfortunately this is how the Powerhouse looks today!

Silver-Haired-Hippy

How sad, such a shame that a beautiful bit of history almost gone. :cry: thanks for posting it Nicolas

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
IanA

That is a scandal!
PeterR

IanA wrote:That is a scandal!
Yes , what a shame-seems to me the vandals are at it again, wrecking every bit of the wonderful work of our Forefathers.

Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
john j connell

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Alexandra Dock Opening, Princess-of-Wales in Bootle 1881.wink: :D

Image :wink:
A little bit of trivia on the Alex dock, originally the dock was to be named the Atlantic Dock, but just before its formal opening it was decided to name it Alexandra after H R H Princess Alexandra (the Princess of Wales) who performed the opening ceremony. JJC.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that info John. :wink: :D :D
Cheers Joe.
marknjen

nicolas wrote:Thank you both, unfortunately this is how the Powerhouse looks today!

I'm going to contact peel group re this building to see if anything can be done
It's a listed building

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk ... 3QUU5B4WrU
bob. b

Well done you and from me a big thank you with regards to this.
fatboyjoe90

Who remembers the first signs of decline at Johnsons the cleaners, when they started letting their ground floor space out on Linacre Rd in the 1980s.:wink

Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
lily8

Morning Joe just last night I was remembering the laundry we sent out, mum was bedridden and unable to do it, everything was packed into pillow cases for collection and came back sick and span, my parents struggled for cash as most did those days so the cost must have been relatively inexpensive. I don't know what the cost for laundering is in the UK nowadays but expensive here as is dry cleaning.
Lily
PeterR

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Who remembers the first signs of decline at Johnsons the cleaners, when they started letting their ground floor space out on Linacre Rd in the 1980s.:wink:

Johnsons once had 600 branches all over mainland UK, Clothes for cleaning were picked up from the shops by railway vans and delivered overnight "From all over" to Alexander dock station -then by lorry to the works-average cost Ladies dress 3/11 and mens suit 3/11, --I finished school on Friday and started work there on Monday at 8AM.some of the people had never worked anywhere else -the first man I worked with Joe Condron had been there 45 years, I didn't set any new records, I was out after 18 months . :D
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
nicolas

Scott's

PeterR

Nice picture of Scotts bakery -It was well on the way being built when their Gower St Bakery was bombed--I remember going past THIS place on the "NEW RD" on my bike -the small was great
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
marknjen

marknjen wrote:
nicolas wrote:Thank you both, unfortunately this is how the Powerhouse looks today!

I'm going to contact peel group re this building to see if anything can be done
It's a listed building

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk ... 3QUU5B4WrU
I'm hoping for some good news on Thursday re the pump house, so fingers crossed peeps
Cheers
Mark :wink:
nicolas

Balliol Rd 1904

lynne99

Did you get good news Mark? or are to assume no news :(
marknjen

Nothing as yet I'm giving them till Monday morning if I've heard nothing then I'm starting my nuisance phone calls and emails to them :lol:
PeterR

Good on You Mark--Hope they do get to fix this pump house--I was on a Banana boat in that dry dock--1955--A few months ago!- :D :D
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
lynne99

Keep it up Mark. If I can help from Rugby, let me know.
efc46

great photos my eldest sister Irene Rowlands worked in Johnstons in the fifties she has passed on but would had lots of stories she loved working there
Davey Rowlands Bootle
PeterR

RE: Irene Rowlands---Do You RecalL which department She was in ? God Bless Her--remembering I was only a kid when I was there ?
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
efc46

I think our Irene worked in the press room she was a charge hand
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Mack
Site Admin

I done an interview with the owner of Johnsons with the young people from the YMCA, Park St and Jean Andrew (now sadly deceased).

The Sans Johnson interview - you can listen / download on our Bootle Archive page if you have not heard it yet. It was done about 11/12 years ago I think, just before I set up the Bootle site.

It's about 8 minutes long and he talks about his memories of Johnsons and Bootle.

Link to page below... Look for Sans Johnson on the page.

http://www.bootlehistory.com/bootle-archive.htm

Mack
PeterR

Mack, I listened to Sans Johnson-very interesting--But a bit further and perhaps OFF topic -How the wheel fell off Bootle and Liverpool-was directly about ships--Jet planes wrecked Cunard and CPR, container ships crewed with cheap labour and each one replaced 10 conventional (At that time cargo ships)-bingo docks empty-
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
Invicta

Peter, More tonnage passes through the port now than it ever did and when the new container facility is fully operational it will bring even bigger ships with increased tonnage . Ken
PeterR

Of course -But the thousand upon thousand who worked the ships -docks and repairers got the heave--I was indirectly one of them.
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
PeterR

[quote="PeterR"]Of course -But the thousand upon thousand who worked the ships -docks and repairers got the heave--I was indirectly one of them. and going a bit further on this most of the NEW container ports are being ROBOT operated -so watch out for the action when this happens at Seaforth.
Cheers
Peter
Born in Spenser Street