Old photos of Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Invicta

You are right Peter. Take the E class Maersk vessels or CMA CGM, 400m long, 175,000mt can carry up to 18000 boxes, they are in port less than 24 hours. They can discharge and load more cargo in a day than 5 conventional ships in a week.
As you say, untouched by human hand, the cost of progress some say.
These owners of the port, Peel are property developers these days. They also own Sheerness down here and are developing it property wise with less and less cargo handling.
Nevertheless the ports are booming throughout the country. I was in Timber all my life and we had huge port stocks throughout the country. That doesn't happen now so the port land is freed up or given over to car import/export or developed in to fancy apartments.
My Dad was a Docker, I worked two years on the new lock at Gladstone, part of the Seaforth container berth still remember Pneumonia Corner :D
All the best
Ken
PeterR

nicolas wrote:Balliol Rd 1904

Yes I like this picture--lots before my time but just on the right out of the picture was were You went to the Dentist--Gas -pull your tooth out-give you 3 inch square piece of cloth then off you went up to Stanley Rd spitting blood all the way to the bus stop-been there done that !! :D :D
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
nicolas

PeterR

That was Bootle (Oriel Rd) station --very interesting photograph.
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
marknjen

lynne99 wrote:Did you get good news Mark? or are to assume no news :(

Still nothing.... So I'll just keep sending emails and phone calls till I hear something good! Sorry I can't give any good news :cry: I've contacted peel ports, I've also contacted prospice21, next will be Sefton council and then seeing as it's a listed buildings I'll contact heritage websites and also if I don't hear from peel ports soon I'll contact local papers and express my disappointment about the huge silence coming from them! Also I'll mention the poor response from them on social media too!
Cheers folks 8)
lynne99

Thanks Mark. It could be restored to a lovely building with a modern purpose. Thanks again.
IanA

It is beautiful, it is interesting, it is historically significant, it is iconic, it is listed. I have had some experience fighting the cause of listed structures - in my case, just a footbridge. It had been monstrously mucked about - wires added, bolted-on bits of wood added, wire meshed added, iron stanchions added it was a mess. Who do I complain to about the mess? The council. Who put the mess there in the first place? The council. Bugger.

The best of luck.
marknjen

Cheers Ian, I'm just going to keep on a them till somebody helps or does something to rescue this fab building :wink:
bob. b

Nicolas
Great picture
Remember Bootle times shop by Bootle station a.nd the printing place next door
Bob. b
marknjen

I ve had email from Sefton council re the pump house...(god they must hate me hahaha)

Dear McGrady,

Thank you for your e-mail concerning the above, the Conservation officer who will be dealing with this is currently on leave but will be returning next week where she will deal with your query on her return.

Regards,

Daniel Byron

I have the Conservation officers email so I ask if the response isn't good then I urge anyone who cares about Bootles heritage to email them, I'll await the response before providing her email though..( gotta give em a chance eh :roll: )
Cheers
Mark
IanA

Well done, Mark. A bit of terrier in your DNA?
PeterR

Good on You Mark, Looks like they may do something -but don't hold Your breath as councils like to TAKE money but don't want to fork out
Cheers
Peter
Born in Spenser Street
smoked out

re pics of millers bridge and JRT yard , proposed site for the lock flight into brocklebank dock ,Liverpool merchants were half against and half for a flight of locks to enable coal from wigan to be taken alongside ships in the docks , eventually locks built in Vauxhall , mike clark books good read about the history
Here for entertainment
Liz H

Mack wrote:I done an interview with the owner of Johnsons with the young people from the YMCA, Park St and Jean Andrew (now sadly deceased).

The Sans Johnson interview - you can listen / download on our Bootle Archive page if you have not heard it yet. It was done about 11/12 years ago I think, just before I set up the Bootle site.

It's about 8 minutes long and he talks about his memories of Johnsons and Bootle.

Link to page below... Look for Sans Johnson on the page.

http://www.bootlehistory.com/bootle-archive.htm

I worked in the offices at Johnsons for two years, before moving to J Bibby in Liverpool. I remember Sands Johnson very well. In my time, ("Mr John") was the Chairman. I think he might have been a cousin. There were still some of the old Johnson family, including "Mr Sands". There was a special corridor that only people on a certain grade were allowed to use, because the Directors' offices were along it. I was one of the favoured few. Happy days.

Mack
Lived in Garden Lane Bootle then moved to Netherton, where my mum still lives.
nicolas

Bootle Victory March, 1918 - Oxford Rd, passing Christ Church.
Last edited by nicolas on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
marknjen

nicolas wrote:Thank you both, unfortunately this is how the Powerhouse looks today!

Bit of positive news I think....Peel ports have contacted me asking if they can help as have conservation group of Sefton council so fingers crossed...I've expressed mine and everyone on this forum concerns for the old pump house...
Any news good or bad I'll let you know!
Here's hoping folks
Mark
nicolas

Well done Mark - great news! Have you requested a personal visit on site for yourself, and perhaps a representative from Sefton Council, Peel Holdings should grant permission.
IanA

Go for it, Mark. That photo says it all - look at the pump house and then look at the tat behind it. What would you demolish? Oooh...tricky.
marknjen

nicolas wrote:Well done Mark - great news! Have you requested a personal visit on site for yourself, and perhaps a representative from Sefton Council, Peel Holdings should grant permission.
Good idea I may just request a visit and get some photos too nicolas
And cheers Ian I know what you mean ha
lynne99

Mark brilliant :D Thankyou for your diligence. If there is anything I can do , please let me know.
marknjen

Thanks Lynne and everyone else too xx
If I don't get a good enough response then I'll give everyone the emails I have and you can all bomb bard them hahahahah
Cheers
Mark x
nicolas

Bootle Centenary 1968, Stanley Rd Opp' St Mathews -

BOBHAMO

Great photo Nicolas gees diy , hornby road.
thanks
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
marknjen

Little update re the pump house...received this today

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your email. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you but am waiting for my colleague to return from leave so we can catch up as to where we are with the Langton Dock Pumphouse. He has had the most recent involvement with the listed building. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Kind regards,

Jenny

Jenny Tunney,
Conservation Officer,
Sefton Council.
Magdalen House,
30 Trinity Road,
Bootle,
L20 3NJ

A bit of something is better than nothing....ill keep you posted peeps
Mark :wink:
lynne99

At least he hasn't forgotten you :D
MCH

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Jarvis Robinson Transport Yard, Bootle. :wink: :D
My Grandhather Philip Riley worked for Jarvis all his working life, first with the horse drawn wagons and then with mortised ones. Most of his sons also worked at Jarvis during the 50's, 60's and 70's.
nicolas

nicolas

Day out, from 1952, Strand Rd, opposite the Fire Station (Bootle Times photo)

Shelagh

Enjoyed seeing the invitation to the Children's Ball 1914, such nostalgia :)
Picture of children's day out also very good..love the old photos!!
Wonder if any contributors remember going on the annual day trip to Frodsham :)
All organised by the Mckechnie family!!
Two double decker buses would set off from Scott St.. families squeezed into every available space..sweets, crisps and lemonade all stacked in the luggage compartment, and away we'd go..excited and singing all the way...happy days :D
efc46

what a luvly memory
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Shelagh

Thanks Davey..we all have so many great childhood memories to share!
Growing up in Bootle may not have been a walk in the park (so to speak) had to be a little bit tough in order to survive :wink:
But what a privilege we have in reading and sharing the very, many, different experiences!!
Enjoyed all the videos of you're return home Davey..looked like you had loads of fun catching up :D
efc46

Hi Shelagh you said a life was never a walk in the park made me think back to the North Park everyone in Bootle swam in the boating pond in the summer played on the witches hat the monkey ladders(were our Tommy put his legs around me waste landed on me gob on the ground lost all me baby teeth that day) playing football sunday morning after a night on the ale the clinic were nitty norra would delouse us
would not have been brought up any were else everyone was happy/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
CONNELL

efc46 wrote:great photos my eldest sister Irene Rowlands worked in Johnstons in the fifties she has passed on but would had lots of stories she loved working there
When I was growing up in Gloucester Road, our next door neighbour, Dora Brown, also worked in Johnsons - until her retirement I think.
Mary
lynne99

Hi all. Has something happened to the photo Nicholas put on about the 1968 Bootle Centenary in Stanley Road. I thought it was ok last time I looked.
It was posted on Sept 14th :roll: :roll:
nicolas

lynne99 wrote:Hi all. Has something happened to the photo Nicholas put on about the 1968 Bootle Centenary in Stanley Road. I thought it was ok last time I looked.
It was posted on Sept 14th :roll: :roll:
Still on Lynne, scroll up!