Hornby rd/Marsh lane. any photo's?

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
walter raybould

I am hoping someone on the Forum may have photo's of the Hornby rd area of Bootle,especially where Aldi now is. I spent my early childhood in Hornby rd from 1945-49. but often returned to my old address up to the time my grandma left there about 1964. I know there was a wood yard there on the corner.were Aldi is. A map of that era would suffice. Thanks in advance.
henry

The Woodyard was Owen pecks
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

walter raybould

Thanks Henry, Owen Pecks is the name i remember. I am struggling to remember the prefab's in Malta rd,the only ones i remember were those at the north pk opposite where i lived,but 65 years has fogged the memory. cheers.
Mack
Site Admin

Corner of the road during the development of Aldi

walter raybould

Thanks Mac, i was hoping someone would have photo,s taken around the post-war era,when Owens Peck and the old Dole/UAB office was still around.But at least i can see my old address in the photo you submitted. Cheers. :D
henry

Walter the prefab are on Hornby rd/Cyprus Rd and the horse is in Malta rd
walter raybould

Cheers Henry, but am still struggling, as i mentioned earlier, 65yrs has fogged the memory, i remember Hornby rd had a curve in the road at the woodyard then continued up to Stanley rd past the old Park gates up to the lodge. only a street map or photo.s could unblock the fog. Thanks.
BOBHAMO

Walter i had a photo but cant find it at the moment
i was looking for ray boulds in bootle
could you give any address as i can put up the street
i looked in hornby but could not find any
there was one in lunt road
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
walter raybould

Hello Bob, When i lived as a child at Hornby rd, it was at 87,That was my Grandma's, Their family name was Kelshaw. The Raybould you mentioned in Lunt rd, was my Aunt and Uncle. I was recently talking to my sister on the subject of our early days in Hornby rd, i reflected that i would like to have seen some photo's or a street map of that area just out of nostalgia. I live in Brookhill rd now,and some memories are still clear, but that one stretch around where Aldi now is up to Stanley rd, is lost to my memory. I left Bootle for 30yrs,so never saw the changes that have taken place during the 80's to 2012. Cheer's.
BOBHAMO

hi Walter i remember your aunt , uncle i lived in the next road altcar road they lived by my mates trevor .jones , bobby thompson
the photo i cant find showed the corner cypress and hornby
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
walter raybould

Thanks Bob, the map gave me a clearer picture of the area, the street names Symrna rd and Malta rd spring to mind. My aunt and uncle were Ned & Millie. The name Trevor Jones, Did he ever go St George of England, during the late 50's?. Cheers.
efc46

Does anybody know the name of the Presbyterian church in Balfour road the map shows a church growing up in our street it was always the daisy field luv to know/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
efc46

Thanks bob I now know I am made up when we were kids we used to dig for treasure and a mate Ronnie dug up 2 silver candle holders we were always finding pennies again
thanks Bob / Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Cags293

walter raybould wrote:I am hoping someone on the Forum may have photo's of the Hornby rd area of Bootle,especially where Aldi now is. I spent my early childhood in Hornby rd from 1945-49. but often returned to my old address up to the time my grandma left there about 1964. I know there was a wood yard there on the corner.were Aldi is. A map of that era would suffice. Thanks in advance.

Here you are: top right Hornby Rd/North Park. Lots of prefabs around there, thanks to Mr H! :(
Bootle/Netherton/Bootle/Netherton (and a few places inbetween!)
Christ Church/St Oswalds/Countess of Derby/Hugh Baird
Civil Service/NHS
Cags293

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/imag ... tle&ref=86

Here's the link to the website where I found that and lots of other images in the area. Can zoom in for closer detail. . . .

On some you can even make out the bunting up across the streets around Beech Street? Says 1951 (but me thinks Coronation celebrations 1953?)
Civil Service/NHS
Brunnyboy

the big warehouse to the right of saint james church was are playground in the 70s known as the cally the white building on the right is the schools dinner hall
jddry

any date for the photo.
Cags293

Says 1951, but when registered/logged in its possible to view really close. Earlier post, I mentioned could see some type bunting in road off Ash St. Maybe Coronation party? So would be 1953 ?

Here's the link, so you can check out the photo (and others)

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/imag ... tle&ref=86

Fascinating stuff. . .
Civil Service/NHS
walter raybould

Thank's cags293, the photo of corner Hornby rd was just what i was hoping to see. I lived in a house opposite the last but one prefab,until 1950.
BOBHAMO

1949 hornby road
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Cags293

walter raybould wrote:Thank's cags293, the photo of corner Hornby rd was just what i was hoping to see. I lived in a house opposite the last but one prefab,until 1950.
No problem. Did you try that website I mentioned earlier? The aerial photo's of places around Liverpool are amazing. I found my house on one when looking at images of Aintree Racecourse. You can even see the Netherton pub and area around the golf course. No Park Lane Estate (dodge). All still fields . . .
Civil Service/NHS