Derby park

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
vinny

Derby park showing the lake and Bridge Earl rd would be of to the right of picture

a very Snowy derby Park looking towards The large gates at corner of Worcester rd and Oxford rd you can just make out Christ Church Spire picture taken inside park 1908

A very busy Bowling Green Derby Park
lynne99

Hey up vinny, am I seeing double :D
vinny

only just noticed lol :D
Matt

Vinny How's about a photo in front of the gates to the park where the parkies lodge is corner
of Oxford Road area???For twas there I got my first ADULT kiss :oops: :oops:
Matt
WatsonTommy

there was little rowing boats you could hire ,it went round under two bridges i was only young, we would ask people borrow yer boat mister, and instead of them rowing back to to the boatman they would step out and we jumped in spent hours in that park,a child allergadly was drowned so they filled it in, it was also full of fish and tadpoles frogs swans etc
Paul McCabe

Hi Vinny..........WoW, what great pics of Derby Park..........especially that first shot of the bridge, although the comment that Earl Rd was to the right of the picture had my mental compass in disarray.

I'm too young to remember the lake, however I read with interest the post by Tommy Watson (below) about there being TWO bridges & I just couldn't get a mental picture of that either.........BUT then I was browsing through the post about "Tomleys Brickfields" (see link below) when I spotted the excellent map of the area which shows Derby Park in great detail (plaudits here to Bob Hammo), which clearly shows the two bridges. :-)

It was then I had an 'Eureka' moment & realised that the bridge(s) were actually in the centre area beneath the path parallel to Worcester & Fernhill Rds & not over by Fernhill Road itself, as I used to play as a youngster on the remnants of a bridge over there.

Thanks guys, I now sleep a lot more soundly. :-)
P

Post by WatsonTommy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:05 pm

there was little rowing boats you could hire ,it went round under two bridges i was only young, we would ask people borrow yer boat mister, and instead of them rowing back to to the boatman they would step out and we jumped in spent hours in that park,a child allergadly was drowned so they filled it in, it was also full of fish and tadpoles frogs swans etc

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... =5&t=31832
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Paul McCabe

Hi Bob.........Thanks for kindly posting the extended map of the area, this certainly reveals all & in such detail.

This morning (like all good amateur detectives), I visited "the scene of the crime" & my 'little grey cells' sprang into life.

There before my very eyes were the arches from the afore mentioned bridges. (!) (See below centre pillar in photo).

This photo was taken looking across the central path from the kiddies area towards St Monica's church & Earl Road.

The 2nd bridges' arch is further up to the left, but not quite legible on this photo.

Now my only query is regarding the area to the right of these two bridges (on your map from 1912).......was this the launching area for the boats mentioned by Tommy ?.

Anyway, thanks again for the map.......I could study it for hours......couldn't help noticing that the world ended at Fernhill Rd & St Monica's church doesn't exist plus Middlesex, Leicester, Warwick & Earl roads are all only 50% built.

Cheers

P

BOBHAMO

Good Shot Paul :D :D :D
i liked to go to the park when i was a kid there where so many places to hide :D :D :D
tommy remembers the lake when it had boats on it
my memory can only remember it dried up late 50s
are the parks locked up now????
i passed through the park about 6 months ago
and it looked well cared for :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bob. b

Paul great picture.
l also played a lot in that park remember the green houses at the top end.
Fantastic display of flowers around the park.
Little park huts in the middle by the main stairs remember the smoke coming out of the chimney on a winters day.
If l remember a band use to play on a Sunday think it was to do with Simon M the MP.
Bonesy

Great pic Paul, my old friend Ronnie Thompson (RIP) used to be the head gardener at Derby Park

Keith
Paul McCabe

Hi Bob, the Park is indeed slowly getting better & better..............check out the new tennis court & 'Keep-Fit' machines. !!

Why even the dog is a pedigree Poodle (George, my daughter's dog).

This pic was taken looking across towards the Fernhill Rd entrance (centre of pic)

Looks FAB, doesn't it. :-)

bob. b

Well lets see if you can tell :wink: me of another tennis court within say 500 meters :lol: :lol: from the park
BOBHAMO

Walton jail :D :D :D
Bob sure there was a tennis club between the houses radnor drive
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Paul McCabe

.......think you might be right Bob..........the only one I can think of is at http://www.activityforall.com on Maguire Ave, which stands next to the now demolished Bootle Stadium.
Paul McCabe

bob. b

Bob, Paul you are close :roll: :roll: :roll: could be one in the jail but its closer to the park well hidden.
Bob you are not far away mate
Detective Paul if you have walk with the dog you may see the entrance and give me the road. :roll: :roll:
lynne99

I think there was one behind the houses in Fernhill avenue? At the top of Radnor drive, behind and between Fernhill road and Southport Road.
bob. b

spot on Lynne gates to go into it was in Hatfield road think Simon m the MP had something to do with it .
lynne99

Wow, I got it right!!!! :D There is a first time for anything. I didn't know the gates were in Hatfield Rd, but I never used to walk down there.
Paul McCabe

Well, I never knew there was ever a tennis court there. Nice test Bob.

This pic was in the Echo about a month or so ago........now sure of the date but St Monica's looks 'Brand New'. (built 1936).

Looks serene doesn't it.

bob. b

Paul cracking picture of the park and the church in the back ground. Bob
Dan

Logos removed

May 2018. Leicester Road street party to celebrate the royal wedding.

Dan

1904 Derby Park

Dan

The postcard bridge as it was and as it is today

Dan

May 2018. Another photo of the Leicester Road street party for the Royal wedding.