Some from Innercity Facebook

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
vinny

Cornwall Street Bootle

Teddy Boy Coppras Hill 58

Bridge Road Seaforth

Marion Square

Unknown possibly Litherland
kenswayken

Nice Vinny. That last one, the Denny Mott timber trailer at the carnival mentions Wallboard. That's the old name for hardboard and insulation board.
Denny Mott & Dickson a famous name in our trade merged with Wm Mallinson, was bought by Brook Bond which was bought by Unilever, the wood division was then sold to Hunter Group which in 1995 was bought by Finnforest when I was the UK MD - Connections :lol: K
Forshaw

Fantastic photos. Love the teddy boys on Copperas Hill. I remember we girls used to walk together like that. The photos of the old terrace houses being pulled down brings back memories of when they pulled the houses down next to us in Devon Street . Three houses.The space they left seemed so small. The shape of the old fireplaces the only link to the families and all the lives that had lived there through two world wars . Fabulous photos so stark in black and white. Cornwall Street was right next to our street. Is that photo taken facing toward Brookhill or Hawthorne Road as I am having trouble remembering houses with 3 floors in Cornwall Street. Gaunts Garage ran along the back of the end house. They used to run a taxi service for years. Then they moved to manage that pub that was next to Sefton Church in the sixties . Now thats bad I can't remember the name of a pub. I bet you all can though. Cheers
Bernie R

That would be The Punchbowl :wink:
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Elaine Goulding

As always, great photos Vinny! The Joneseed brought back memories for me. My mum had a pal Nelly Christianson who worked in Joneseed on Stanley Road years ago.
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
jmoorcroft

Great photos, Marion Square, now no statue, wonder where it went. The two cars showing reminded my of my Dads first car in Kirk St. It was a triumph herald, like the one pictured, painted red and white, like Starskey and Hutch. Dad being a TRUE blue took some stick. Jim ps, reg 616 meh, not Dads
jmoorcroft
Bri

Thought I knew the shops in the Marian Square but don't recall those 2 in the corner, anyone any ideas.
Scot Scouse

Bri wrote:Thought I knew the shops in the Marian Square but don't recall those 2 in the corner, anyone any ideas.
Stuart & Dorfman electrical shop, tv's radios etc is one, my best man Mike Burke worked there as manager. I worked in Tesco in 1963 as trainee manager waiting for my apprenticeship to start January 1964, Manager was Melvin Bronstein only 18 years old, a rising star in Tesco, wonder where he ended up. Vinnie Vernons next to Tesco, famous for what ever you asked for he would say "I have just sold the last one but I will get you another one for the weekend" and he always did! What a brilliant businessman!!
Waterworks Street born, now on Kintyre on missionary work!
ALAMO2008

My Cousin Gillian Brown worked at that Vernons store in Marion Square in the 60's -

They had another store/shop in Carr Meadow Hey in Ford run by little old Mrs Vernon

The Browns lived just around the corner on the top floor of the flats in Swift's Lane nearly opposite St Oswald's
Bri

Scot Scouse you're right about Vinnie Vernon, I worked in that shop straight from school in the mid 70's, if people wanted something and we didn't have it in rather than lose the sale he'd say "put it on my list Bri, we'll have it in tomorrow ". More often than not it would be there the next day. ALAMO, I used to live next door to Mr and Mrs Vernon in Carr Meadow, one of the reasons I ended up working for Vinnie, they were a lovely couple. I think Vinnie owns the Oil Salvage Company on Derby Road
Scot Scouse

ALAMO2008 wrote:My Cousin Gillian Brown worked at that Vernons store in Marion Square in the 60's -

They had another store/shop in Carr Meadow Hey in Ford run by little old Mrs Vernon

The Browns lived just around the corner on the top floor of the flats in Swift's Lane nearly opposite St Oswald's
Hi Alamo,

I remember Gillain Brown from the flats, a group of us used to hang round together. If you see her tell her Albie from Ronald Ross sends his best regards.
Waterworks Street born, now on Kintyre on missionary work!
bboardman

Unbelievably and amazingly, i'm sure I know the two Teddy Boys.They went to St Mathews and I knew them then.In the mid 1960's I emigrated to NZ and incredibly bumped into them in downtown Wellington [the NZ capital].I then moved into their apartment with them and stayed for the next 3 magical years.The dark-haired lad on the left I believe is Eric Radcliffe and the other lad is Josh Griffiths-wonderful friends.As an aside Eric tells me he has booked a flight down to Aussie and NZ in June 2016 and is staying with Chrissie and me for as long as he can here in NZ.Seeing Erics pic and his flight plans has made our Christmas--Billy
Glenys

Billy,
Dave O put me in touch with Eric; we both went to S.Matthews, confirmed there at the same time; was one of my 'first' boyfriends :)
Glenys
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
bboardman

Glenys--I know.Eric talked about you almost every day.He adored you.I knew you were on this Bootle site but didn't want to mention it in case it made you feel uncomfortable,but it's neat to make contact with you at long last--Billy