jacksons

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
jddry

Image Image jacksons scales at the bottom of gray street by the queens been empty now for a long time I remember it was still a work place in the sixties but was it a dairy before that looks like stables at the back. the family who lived there in the 60s I think their name was keoghan.
BOBHAMO

Nice in black white :lol: :lol:
they back on to the poets park
thanks jddry :lol: :lol: :lol:
henry miller milk dealer 1900
harry shepherd cow keeper 1911
harry groves dairyman 1938
took some myself :lol: :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
jddry

thanks for the info bob a little bit of history around the corner.
stevom_2009

my son inlaw brian is the grand son of the person on the sign his father billy sold the stables and adjacent houses last year for the new plans for the poets park new developement which was cancelled by this austerity crazy coalition government.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
IanA

Poets' Park? Hmmph!! That was where I lived for 14 years...
jetjockey

IanA wrote:Poets' Park? Hmmph!! That was where I lived for 14 years...
Ian photo of Poets Park Jackson's is just in shot on the right I also lived in this area I was in Hood Street which street did you live in?

JJ
IanA

Ta Jetjockey. We lived at 80 Keats Street, my grandparents lived at number 4. I've been there since and it is always a great disappointment to see the houses gone. They were lived in by good, honest, upright people who had little money but lots of pride in their surroundings. The steps were scrubbed and the edges whitened. Mum would wash the whole pavement area outside the house and then go on to do the pavements of elderly neighbours. As a kid, I'd run messages for Lilla Jones or Daisy Bell and get a threepenny bit if I was lucky. Keats Street and Hood Street were 'play streets' so we could run around and roller skate in the street without getting run over. The only person I knew in Hood Street was a classmate of mine in Gray Street School - Harold Slater.
jetjockey

IanA wrote:Ta Jetjockey. We lived at 80 Keats Street, my grandparents lived at number 4. I've been there since and it is always a great disappointment to see the houses gone. They were lived in by good, honest, upright people who had little money but lots of pride in their surroundings. The steps were scrubbed and the edges whitened. Mum would wash the whole pavement area outside the house and then go on to do the pavements of elderly neighbours. As a kid, I'd run messages for Lilla Jones or Daisy Bell and get a threepenny bit if I was lucky. Keats Street and Hood Street were 'play streets' so we could run around and roller skate in the street without getting run over. The only person I knew in Hood Street was a classmate of mine in Gray Street School - Harold Slater.
Hi Ian
What a small world my grandparents also lived at 4 Keats Street and my Dad was born there I knew Harold Slater he lived at 49 Hood Street I lived at 57 your right about the pride taken in keeping the area clean & tidy Happy Days

JJ
IanA

Small world indeed. My grandparents lived in Keats Street at number 4 before the war and it survived a bomb dropped on the house at the back in Moore Street. They lived there until 1964 and my Nan died in the front room.
stevom_2009

harry's still living in the area shows airedales ? steve.
IanA

Good for Harry. I like Airedales. I remember a lanky guy, usually with a bandaged knee, and much better than me at sport.
stevom_2009

ian , he's still lanky but a real nice man his wife went to st james ? same time as me and lived in stafford st, if memory serves me he had a brother who joined the police force i remember possibly about 25-30 years ago he had a farewell drink in the queens before he was posted to somewhere near lake district cumbria area. steve.
jddry

hi steve harry`s brothers name was bobby slater and his wife`s name was pamela piggot.
jetjockey

jddry wrote:hi steve harry`s brothers name was bobby slater and his wife`s name was pamela piggot.
Harry and Bobby were related to the Slater's in Southey Street and Pamela Piggot Lived at 77 Hood Street and was related to the Corkhills who lived at 71 didn't know Bobby & Pamela had married though

JJ
IanA

jddry

my wife win mccusker went to gray street school she lived in 30 hood street and her mate linda crawford lived in 24 hood street.when we got married in 1973 we had 2 wedding cars we hired off sydney pope I think they were ford zepyhers and we got married in st leonards and we bought our house in hood street No 70 for £300.I still cant believe they demolished them 2 streets to put a park there thats become an eyesore.ps we are now in our ruby wedding anniversary year.
IanA

I was very sad indeed to come back one year to find the street 9/10ths demolished. I suppose, realistically, they were incapable of being 'up-graded'. No inside toilet, no bathroom, walk straight from the street into the front room. When we were living there, we never felt in the least bit deprived - it was what we had grown up with - but it was poor accommodation. I'm sure it was privately-owned. I remember the rent man with his leather satchel.
jddry

I know what you are saying IanA its the people who make the area and not the buildings.[/b]
jetjockey

jddry wrote:my wife win mccusker went to gray street school she lived in 30 hood street and her mate linda crawford lived in 24 hood street.when we got married in 1973 we had 2 wedding cars we hired off sydney pope I think they were ford zepyhers and we got married in st leonards and we bought our house in hood street No 70 for £300.I still cant believe they demolished them 2 streets to put a park there thats become an eyesore.ps we are now in our ruby wedding anniversary year.
jddry I remember your wife and linda Crawford didn't Sid pope live in Keats Street and was related to the Popes in no 15 Hood Street

JJ

PS Don' forget to put your parole request in for 40yrs i got refused on my 40th
jetjockey

IanA wrote:I was very sad indeed to come back one year to find the street 9/10ths demolished. I suppose, realistically, they were incapable of being 'up-graded'. No inside toilet, no bathroom, walk straight from the street into the front room. When we were living there, we never felt in the least bit deprived - it was what we had grown up with - but it was poor accommodation. I'm sure it was privately-owned. I remember the rent man with his leather satchel.
Ian most of those streets were owned /built by William Jones there has been another thread covering him on the site I remember going to the office on the corner of Irlam Road and Marsh lane it was then known as the Exors of William Jones and you could pay the rent there it was like walking into Scrooge's office the clerk i remember had a deformed hand and held his old pen what appeared to me at the time awkwardly of course I know better now but funny the things you remember

JJ
jddry

never thought about putting in a request for parole I might try that I think your right about the sydney pope was it john pope that lived in hood street and there was a big thunder storm and he died.
jetjockey

jddry wrote:never thought about putting in a request for parole I might try that I think your right about the sydney pope was it john pope that lived in hood street and there was a big thunder storm and he died.
I do remember hearing that about John Pope but can't remember the year all I can say it was after 1966 after I had left Hood Street

JJ
jackie

remember jacksons , i lived in grey st , same side, where the jigger was , haha. me dad had a gararge downstairs, think it used to be stables. big green doors an a dirt floor.front door, flight of stairs, room kitchen, bedroom. that was it . oh, there was a sort of wooden balcony/fire escape thing out back. which was the best veiw of the bommie on the big debrie, an me dad putin all the girls to fright with his rip-raps, the screams haha. me dad worked on the tugs ,i, used to go to work with him more than i was at school. dont know hoo had the better edukation.anyway ,we eventully moved in with me nan. 65 hood st. this was the family home of the BENNETTS. anyone remember us. i hope someone can , you provide so much info , all of the followers wait with ainticipation ,for the next gem that becomes KNOWLEGE. THANK YOU ALL X.
jetjockey

jackie wrote:remember jacksons , i lived in grey st , same side, where the jigger was , haha. me dad had a gararge downstairs, think it used to be stables. big green doors an a dirt floor.front door, flight of stairs, room kitchen, bedroom. that was it . oh, there was a sort of wooden balcony/fire escape thing out back. which was the best veiw of the bommie on the big debrie, an me dad putin all the girls to fright with his rip-raps, the screams haha. me dad worked on the tugs ,i, used to go to work with him more than i was at school. dont know hoo had the better edukation.anyway ,we eventully moved in with me nan. 65 hood st. this was the family home of the BENNETTS. anyone remember us. i hope someone can , you provide so much info , all of the followers wait with ainticipation ,for the next gem that becomes KNOWLEGE. THANK YOU ALL X.
Hi Jackie are you talking about the wide entry between Grey Street and Hood Street which had cobble stones if so I remember that garage well one person who had it had an old blue Austin Taxi which I came home from hospital in after having my tonsils out that would be late forties/early fifties when did you live there?

JJ
davybaby

Keats Street and Hood Street clearance, Liggets old shop, top left.
Courtesy 'Art in action'
jetjockey

davybaby wrote:Keats Street and Hood Street clearance, Liggets old shop, top left.
Courtesy 'Art in action'
Liggets was on the corner of Hood Street davybaby top left would be Costigans my mother always went to Liggets I think it was it because it was just at the "Top of the street"

JJ
davybaby

You're right John it was Costigans, I remember when John Frankland
was an order boy there, my Mother lived in the flat above at the time
I was born. She always shopped at the Co Op, corner of Tennyson,
but her 'big' shop was the Co Op on Knowsley Road.
jetjockey

davybaby wrote:You're right John it was Costigans, I remember when John Frankland
was an order boy there, my Mother lived in the flat above at the time
I was born. She always shopped at the Co Op, corner of Tennyson,
but her 'big' shop was the Co Op on Knowsley Road.
I remember the Co-Op well davybaby we used to get our milk of them and pay for it at the Tennyson Street shop for the "Divi" do you remember the Co-Op milkman with his horse and cart he would deliver the milk and horse would just follow him

John
bernie johno

great stuff i lived in no6 hood st and loved the street.as soon as the dark nights came in we had a camp fire on the debby no one ever complained and it just seemed natural the houses were tiny. tin bath on a saturday night or the wash baths corner of dryden st on a saturday morning happy days. :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
IanA

Ah, that debbry between Keats Street and Hood Street. Many a bonfire there and a source of wildlife which would astound many naturalists. When looking at a perfectly innocent earthworm, I was assured that it was undoubtedly a 'bloodsucker'. We gazed, aghast, at this diminutive but deadly beast! Just think, I might have picked it up!!

Ollies were also good there.
paulmack

Great photo J J, just look at all that York Stone it would be worth a small fortune at today’s prices. :wink:
PaulOB

jetjockey wrote:
davybaby wrote:Keats Street and Hood Street clearance, Liggets old shop, top left.
Courtesy 'Art in action'
Liggets was on the corner of Hood Street davybaby top left would be Costigans my mother always went to Liggets I think it was it because it was just at the "Top of the street"

JJ
I lived in No 20, O'Brien's, my relatives, The Annal's and the Dickinson's also lived there, Old Jim who ran Ligget's for many years, I knew his grandson, Peter Murren, I also attended Gray street school, left in 1965, Mr Booth was our teacher, was choir boy at st Lenards, Tom Coopers was choir master.
jetjockey

PaulOB wrote:
I lived in No 20, O'Brien's, my relatives, The Annal's and the Dickinson's also lived there, Old Jim who ran Ligget's for many years, I knew his grandson, Peter Murren, I also attended Gray street school, left in 1965, Mr Booth was our teacher, was choir boy at st Lenards, Tom Coopers was choir master.
Hi PaulOB I remember the O'Brians from no 20 also Annal's and Dickinson's I also noted you to live in Wigan how long have you lived up this end of the world

JJ

PS I lived at 57 Hood St
PaulOB

jetjockey wrote:
PaulOB wrote:
Hi PaulOB I remember the O'Brians from no 20 also Annal's and Dickinson's I also noted you to live in Wigan how long have you lived up this end of the world

JJ

PS I lived at 57 Hood St
Moved to Scott street after Hood street, in 1965 we moved to Skelmersdale, then in the early 70's to Winstanley, now Live in Shevington, for the past 21 years.
No 20 Hood street was originally occupied by my mothers Uncle Tom,
my great nan who was an Annal and Three of my Uncles lived in Hood street, My Mothers Uncle John Annal Who's Daughter was Joan, Two Uncles, James and Tommy Dickinson lived there also.

POB
jetjockey

[quote="PaulOB"]

Moved to Scott street after Hood street, in 1965 we moved to Skelmersdale, then in the early 70's to Winstanley, now Live in Shevington, for the past 21 years.
No 20 Hood street was originally occupied by my mothers Uncle Tom,
my great nan who was an Annal and Three of my Uncles lived in Hood street, My Mothers Uncle John Annal Who's Daughter was Joan, Two Uncles, James and Tommy Dickinson lived there also.

This gets scary I have lived in Winstanley for the past 41yrs

JJ