A Good Man.

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
para alpha

Here is a photo of a Bootle man who meant alot to quite a few people.
The Photo is of Drum Major Johnnie Walker taken in 1984 at the massed bands in Liverpool. Anyway, just thought I would share it as I kinda miss the man. He was a true friend to me and many others. Please, If you want a copy of the Photo, Please let me know, I consider it restricted.

EdMcDonald

John used to be a good friend of mine. Them where the days when he was a prison warder in Walton. His brother Stan was a piper in the band as well. Many a good pint I've had with both.
para alpha

EdMcDonald wrote:John used to be a good friend of mine. Them where the days when he was a prison warder in Walton. His brother Stan was a piper in the band as well. Many a good pint I've had with both.
Yes Ed, I did mention you to him a few years before his past away last year. He said you all used to enjoy a quick pint after practice and after parades. The stories he told me when he was a serving Prison Officer. But just think of all the young people who he put on the straight and narrow? I know of at least 3 youngsters who grew up and are Police officers. I can say that Johnnie had given them the guidance needed. The world will never see his like again.
EdMcDonald

para alpha wrote:
EdMcDonald wrote:John used to be a good friend of mine. Them where the days when he was a prison warder in Walton. His brother Stan was a piper in the band as well. Many a good pint I've had with both.
Yes Ed, I did mention you to him a few years before his past away last year. He said you all used to enjoy a quick pint after practice and after parades. The stories he told me when he was a serving Prison Officer. But just think of all the young people who he put on the straight and narrow? I know of at least 3 youngsters who grew up and are Police officers. I can say that Johnnie had given them the guidance needed. The world will never see his like again.
I remember him laughing his head off in the "Blobber". Two nights before I went in the army in 1959. It wasn't till I was demobed in 1973 that I had the pleasure of meeting him again. Lot's of good stories about Walton and I'm sure he did put a few people on the right track. Nowadays it would be frowned upon.or worse. :wink:
para alpha

EdMcDonald wrote:
para alpha wrote:
I remember him laughing his head off in the "Blobber". Two nights before I went in the army in 1959. It wasn't till I was demobed in 1973 that I had the pleasure of meeting him again. Lot's of good stories about Walton and I'm sure he did put a few people on the right track. Nowadays it would be frowned upon.or worse. :wink:
Ed, he helped alot of young people into their desired occupations... People just don't know what this man did for Bootle. He was awarded the MBE in 2002 for services to pipe Music in Liverpool.
jayred

Hi Ed

The two men you are talking about are my great uncles. I see my uncle Stan every week because he teaches me to play the pipes. I came across this thread the other day and mentioned it to him. He asked me to ask how you are doing? He's doing very well. Still fit as a fiddle.

P.s. Sorry Para Alpha, I couldn't find your name so I couldn't mention it to him. I'd be interested in seeing the pic of my uncle Johnnie (or Uncle Brud as we knew him). The image seems to have gone missing from the thread.

Cheers
Jay