Bootle Fire Brigade

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
matt wethered

Great photo's Joe.Remember my mum writing to tell me about it while I was in the Far East.She had gone to town that day but they had stopped the buses coming in to the Ribble stop in Skelhorne street .She had no idea why until she heard about it on the news.
Matt
kenswayken

I've asked my SIL to look in, she was in the store and still talks about it.
Great pictures - I remember the Cork warehouse by Cooksons going up when we were kids, very exciting at the time. :wink: Ken
Bonesy

Amazing photos, thanks for posting them Joe.
Didnt Hendersons re-open as Binns ?
kenswayken wrote:I've asked my SIL to look in, she was in the store and still talks about it.
Great pictures - I remember the Cork warehouse by Cooksons going up when we were kids, very exciting at the time. :wink: Ken
I remember seeing that Cus, would that of been around 1960/1 ish

Keith
kenswayken

Spot on Keith. It was an "adventure playground" for us before and after the fire. :) Ken
Bonesy

Ken I remember jumping off the wall to the right of Cooksons into the haystacks, happy days.

Keith
dorothy834

Joe..thanks for posting those pictures...I worked in Church Street

in another shop when that happened ..It was my day off that day

Those pictures brought back many memories...

Dorothy
dorothy834
bjones

Keith I think Hendersons reopened as Hendersons and later (late 60s?) became Binns.
Brought tears to my eyes - how brave those firefighters were.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
stevom_2009

hi joe, further to my post about my nephew danny stephens, speaking to a cousin joyce told her to tell her brother dave about the photo's you have posted. he was very high up in the fire service on merseyside, his name is dave evans. steve.ps keep the photo's coming. brilliant.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
joefirebobby

The Heritage and Education Centre is open Monday to Friday 11am. to 4 pm.

Telephone number 0151-296-4640 .

Location is the Merseyside Fire and Rescue Headquarters Bridle Road Bootle.

The Centre is at the rear of the Headquarters , drive in , turn left and the building is at the far right side of the car park.

Visits have to be pre-booked .
stevom_2009

thanks for that info joe will take the grand children. will make for a interesting visit.steve.
friend.of.many.enemy.of.non
joefirebobby

Graham Powell , a firefighter at Belle Vale Liverpool kindly gave me these photographs featuring his late grandfather James " Jimmy " Collins , who was in Bootle Fire Brigade .
Photographs 1 and 2 shows Jimmy ( second from right in both ) in the Soviet Union .
He went on behalf of the Fire Service to pass on inner city firefighting techniques and incident command .

ImageImage

Photograph 3
Some of Jimmy's Bootle Fire Brigade colleagues .

ImageImage[/img]

ImageImage[/img]

Gladstone Dock fire 1949

ImageImage[/img]

Kathy John Moorcroft

Great pics Joe.

Graham must be proud of Grandfather James.

Kathy.
joefirebobby

Hi Kathy
Graham is very proud of his grandfather , his mum has promised him some more photos to put on this and the retired Merseyside Firefighters forums . :D
joefirebobby

Gladstone Dock 1966

ImageImage[/img]

ImageImage[/img]

Photographs copyright MFRS .
joefirebobby

Horses at the ready circa 1906

Kathy John Moorcroft

More great pics Joe.

Love the last pic, bet it looked smart with the horses pulling it.

Kathy.
joefirebobby

71 years after the May Blitz CFO Danny Stephens of MFRS together with Danny Murphy today at the MFRS Heritage Centre in Bridle Road , unveiled the Roll of Honour with the names of the 68 members of the Fire Service and the Liverpool Salvage Corps who were tragically killed during the Blitz on Merseyside during 1940 and 1941 .

The names of 6 members of Bootle Fire Brigade and Bootle AFS are on the Roll of Honour .

ImageImage[/img]

A Moment of Reflection

Heritage Centre volunteer staff .

Last edited by joefirebobby on Fri May 04, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joefirebobby

Having a well deserved break at the 1949 Gladstone Dock Fire .

henry

JOE.
I have sent you a P.M.
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
scotty

I really do admire firefighters, putting their lives on the line.Every one of them deserves a medal, especially the ones on top of them ladders, wow
Scotty
All gave some
Some gave all
joefirebobby

The link to the MFRS Heritage and Education Centre .

http://www.merseyfire.gov.uk/Historical/index.htm
booty45

memories are twisty things,Iremember as a smally being taken out into the yard at strand rd fire station to see the rolling black smoke and red reflection of the fire,and lumps of melted tar or rubber dotted about mixed in with charred hose lengths and burnt ladders.In my mind this memory I believed was of the Empress Of Canada fire,but seeing the pics of the smoke and the state of the firebobbies,Inow believe the fireman who carried me out to see these wonders was my dad ,who died before the Canada fire.
blanche barwood

hello joe, do you know opening times of bootle fire museum? I'm henry's sister-in-law
joefirebobby

Hi Blanche
The MFRS Heritage Centre can be visited by contacting them first on 0151-296-4640 or dannymurphy@merseyfire.gov.uk .
It is not a turn up and have a look around type of place , the opening hours are usually 11am -4pm .

The volunteer staff are the most friendly of people and want as many visitors as possible so give them a ring and enjoy our fantastic Fire Service history .
Regards
Joe
rivermersey

Is the list of names on the Roll of Honour available online?
Born in Bootle 1960 lived on Bailey Drive then the old roan.
joefirebobby

I will put an official photograph of the Roll of Honour on the site in the next few days .
joefirebobby

ImageImage[/img]

ImageImage[/img]
joefirebobby

This photograph was kindly given to me last week by Mrs Ann Mullen .
The photo is of her dad James " Jim Bar " Barwood , taken in 1943 with his niece .
Jim was a fireman with Bootle FB and tragically was killed in Strand Road in April 1951 when he fell from the tower .
Jim was 30 at the time .

The family lived in the what was called the Police house at the station .

Jim originally hailed from Saffron Walden in Essex , amazingly his 3 brothers and his sister are still going strong .

PETER CRAIG

blanche barwood wrote:hello joe, do you know opening times of bootle fire museum? I'm henry's sister-in-law
Welcome to the Bootle forum Blanche,
Peter.
Kathy John Moorcroft

Some great pics again Joe.

What a treasure.

Kathy.
joefirebobby

Hi Blanche
The opening hours are 11am to 4pm . :D
joefirebobby

Fire engine outside Netherton Fire Station .

Dennis Pump Escape , now in private ownership .
ImageImage[/img]

ImageImage

Image[/img]Image[/img]

joefirebobby

Lime Street 1966 .

Royal Court Theatre in the 1930's

Elaine Goulding

Hi Joe,
Amazing photographs! I have some I woudl like to post. My father was a fireman, his name is Bill Butterwirth (alias Billy Butt). He was stationed at many fire stations including Canada Dock, Derby Lane, Hatton Garden, Crosby, West Derby Lane, Formby and many more. He eventually retired from Crosby station. I never remember him not wanting to go to work. He really enjoyed his job and the comraderie of his many colleagues. I can remember the many childrens parties held at Derby Lane when he would play the role of Father Christmas. Unfortunately he passed away in June 2000. I still miss this larger than life man I am proud to call my Dad. Joe, thank you for the photographs, they brought back memories of Dad fighting many a Liverpool fire...or as he would say "keeping the city safe"!
Elaine
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
joefirebobby

Hi Elaine
I was on the same watch as your late dad , a very popular man , a great fireman who always had a smile on his face .
I seem to remember he was a fervent Blue .
I joined Red Watch in 1972 , Red Watch got the above Scottie Road fire in 1963 , so Bill may well have attended the fire .