Bootle Fire Brigade

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
Elaine Goulding

Hi Joe!
I was just reading your last posting and thought to myself, I bet you never imagined in a million years when you started this thread you would arouse such interest! Between you and Frank Mullen you have taken so many people down memory lane with all your pictures and information. Lily, your contribution has not been lost with the various links you have found. This is one of my favourite threads and I sincerely hope it continues. If Bill Butterworth were alive today he would have been one of your keenest followers! Many thanks
Take care.......Elaine
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
bob. b

Joe is that the site where Littlewoods was and burtons on the other side of the road. Great pictures Joe regards Bob.
joefirebobby

Spot on Bob , below is a photograph of Marks and Spencers in Church Street in 1947 , with car park opposite .

Elaine Goulding

Wow Joe, how the city has changed. Do not ever remember a car park across the road from Marks. However, you say the picture is 1947, I was not born until 1949. I do remember the trams and have one of the last tickets issued for the tram. I found it amongst Dad's memorabilia after he died. He had loads of stuff like that which he had to hide from Mum as she was an absolute neat freak and threw everything out. He still had a newspaper so yellow with age with the first man on the moon. I brought all his stuff including old Everton magazines home to Canada otherwise it would have found it's way to the bin labelled "junk" by my Mum!!! Now it is collecting dust in my basement!
Take care
Elaine
Elaine

joefirebobby

Elaine , I am glad you kept Billy's stuff.
PETER CRAIG

Joe, you have posted some very good photos,
thank you,
Peter.
joefirebobby

Hi Peter , it is a pleasure to do so .
Sheelagh Tequila

Thanks for all the pictures and information everyone,,Bootle and Liverpool history at a glance....sad and heartbreaking at times but fascinating all the same.

Sheelagh :D
joefirebobby

The Liverpool Fire Brigade Fire Control at Hatton Garden in the 1960's .

Elaine Goulding

Hi Joe,
I remember the Control Room at Hatton Garden very well. I always used to think it looked like a set from one of the old war movies when they would be moving flags around on maps! The person I remember most from the Control Room was a girl by the name of Jean, cannot for the life of me remember her last name. She had been in the brigade many years. Last time we met was at my Mum and Dad's 50th. wedding anniversary over 15 years ago.

Thanks for posting Joe
Elaine
Elaine

joefirebobby

Weir and Carmichael , Great Howard Street , fire in the late 1970's .

Station Officer Kevin Regan from Crosby Fire Station is the fire officer in the photograph .

joefirebobby

1938 Leyland Metz Turntable Ladder still on the run at Westminister Road Fire Station until the 1960's .

joefirebobby

Fire engines at Wavertree Playground in the 1950's .

lynne99

What wonderful photos. The picture of the wall falling brings back the unforeseen danger that all our fire fighters face daily. Thanks to them.
Philly/Gags

Joe great Photo's and great insight to the fire brigade, I had a couple of mates who were in the service, Stevie Hardacre, Joe Mannion, Micky Ross and Davie Colebourne (cousin) I think they ran out of Bankhall. My mother in law was a cook at Strand Road right up until it closed in the late 60's,?? Kay Sadler.. Thanks Philly
bootle/dodge/bootle
Ron King

Joe
What years were you in Liverpool brigade please?
Also do you have the website for the retired firefighters please.
Ron
Ron King

Joe, Elaine and Frank,
This has been a very, very interesting thread as my wife Lynn nee Wells was at Hatton Garden from about 1966 to 1973 in the control room. We have a photo of her in the con which was published in the Echo round about 1970 or 71. Unfortunately it's in storage at the moment but I'll try to dig it out next month when I go to my daughters.
Elaine, could it have been Jean McCarthy? She and my wife were good friends and worked the same watch.
Frank, Lynn had some good friends at Wessie Rd including George Copland and Robbie Williams.
Thanks to everyone for a very interesting two hours which is what I have just spent going through this thread. And I didn't read it all.
Cheers, Ron
joefirebobby

I was in Liverpool FB 1972-74 , then we amalgamated to become Merseyside FB in 1974 .

Plenty of names from the past mentioned above .
joefirebobby

Firefete 1962 , with thanks to Simon Ryan of Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service .

joefirebobby

joefirebobby

The photograph was taken in 1958.
Frank948

Hi ,back after some time.Number of problems but all sorted now.I was at Westminster Rd 1965 till 1970 then on to Hatton garden.I remember all the names Jean Mc and the lads at wessy Rd. also most of the Control room staff great bunch of girls. :D :D :D PS Thank to Joe Fire Bobby for taking the time for putting Pics and stories on.
F A Mullen
joefirebobby

Chief Officer's Report 1953-54 , with thanks to Simon Ryan of Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service .

joefirebobby

Congratulations to Bootle born and bred Danny Murphy .
From MFRS Hot News .

joefirebobby

From MFRS Hot News

joefirebobby

From MFRS Hot News

The bravest of the brave .
joefirebobby

The 1931 Leyland Metz Turntable ladder at the MFRS Heritage and Education Centre Bridle Road .

This was still pinned under the seat .

Still got it's tax disc .

Frank948

joefirebobby wrote:Hi Jobo
I don't recall the name Frank Green , I was at Liverpool / Merseyside FB Bankhall 1972-77 , if he was in Srand Road during that period I may have come across him .
There was a Norman Green who became a senior officer , he was ex Bootle FB who has also , sadly passed away .
I remember Frank Green he was a Sub Officer at Buckley Hill now (Bootle Netherton Fire Station) I was at Crosby and often went to Bootle Netherton.When one of the ranks was off. I got on well working with Frank on the same watch. I did not know he has passed on. Rest In peace .Frank.
F A Mullen
joefirebobby

Gladstone Dock fire 1949 .

joefirebobby

Thanks to Simon Ryan of MFRS for allowing me to borrow the Fire Magazine .

Frank948

Thanks Joe for putting them up on Bootle times .I know you you are busy .Also you take up lots of your own time to reserch local news. :D :D :D
F A Mullen
joefirebobby

From the Fire Magazine May 1973 .

Elaine Goulding

Hi Joe!
Still love this thread, I do not have much to contribute but so enjoy logging on to read your postings. I have just received a Christmas card from Jerry Henshaw with the sad news his wife Ellen passed away in June. What a lovely person Ellen was, Jerry will be lost without her. They were both good friends with my Mum and Dad.
Elaine

Frank948

Elaine.I was with Gerry in November at the end of the month.The Ex members of Merseyside F S meet at the Big House in Lime St once a month.I shall pass your regards when i see him in Jan at the next meeting Had the plesure of meeting HRH Priness Anne when she opened the new control centre in Bridle Rd last Tuesday. .Best wishes for the Holiday. :
F A Mullen
Elaine Goulding

Hi Frank,
When you next meet with Gerry, can you check if he has an email address. Have a wonderful Christmas with family and friends.
Best wishes
Elaine
Elaine