Army Cadets - Park Street Barracks

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
gordon

Anyone out there who was in the army cadets at Park Street Barracks.
Eddy Lloyd

I was there Gordon in 1961 ish. I remember us going to Altcar and also to Wales for a weekend climbing mountains. I can almost smell the bacon. :D Our captain walked with a limp his name escapes me right now.
Ed Davies

Hi Gordon
I was in 1973ish with my mate Tim O Sullivan
Ed
gordon

Eddy Lloyd wrote:I was there Gordon in 1961 ish. I remember us going to Altcar and also to Wales for a weekend climbing mountains. I can almost smell the bacon. :D Our captain walked with a limp his name escapes me right now.
Eddie,

His name was Capt Arthur Mulcahey, I attended his requium mass about 2 years ago.

I joined in Sept 1963, Jimmy Silcock, Brian Mehan, Tommy Kelly and Mark Eaton where there then.
Eddy Lloyd

Cheers Gordon, sad about Mr Mulcahey. Only name that rings a bell there is Tommy Kelly if it's the same one he has a brother called Paul and lived down the Lane.
kevinp

I was in cadets there in mid 60s--- Tank regiment if memory is correct
PETER CRAIG

kevinp wrote:I was in cadets there in mid 60s--- Tank regiment if memory is correct
Welcome to the Bootle forum Kevin,
Peter.
Alan M

You're probably right about it being" Tankies " as the barracks used to be part of the Lancaster/Lancashire Yeomanry,IIRC. I remember when I was in Bedford Rd School and they set up on the 'bricky/brickfield' once, inbetween Balliol Road & Sidney Road,where the Nursery school is now. We all thought it was great,climbing all over these tanks & army wagons, I was only 28 :roll:
The best thing about being over the hill is that now I can have some fun and free-wheel down the other side. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL.
DonDeeg

Gordon I was in the Army Cadets at Park St in the mid sixties.
I remember going to Altcar on weekends. we also went to
Northern Ireland and camped in the Mountains of Mourne.
we got poured on that trip..
Some of the People I remember were. Sgt John Meehan
Brian Jones. and My Brother Dave , he went on to Join the Scots Guards.
Born and bred in Lunt Rd.
Went to St George of England school.
andykeo

I was in the cadets from 1976 until 1983 its was the 1st RTR and my OC was Capt Tom Cornmell. The unit moved to Little Strand Road (where the Asda stands now) and I joined 238 sqdn RCT which became RLC and left in 1999. Tommy Kelly who has been mentioned was my troop sgt. Great days!!
PETER CRAIG

andykeo wrote:I was in the cadets from 1976 until 1983 its was the 1st RTR and my OC was Capt Tom Cornmell. The unit moved to Little Strand Road (where the Asda stands now) and I joined 238 sqdn RCT which became RLC and left in 1999. Tommy Kelly who has been mentioned was my troop sgt. Great days!!
Welcome to the Bootle forum Andy,
Peter.
frank delamere

i was in the 40th R.T.R cadet regiment in park street frpm 1948 to 1955.
i gave the wrong age when i joined [but! they knew ]i was there until 1955. when i joined the liverpool scottish. major gordon toby , captain
lieutenant harvey, lieutenant mulcahay,were the officers at the time.
we spent many hours in altcar. in fact four of us went each week-end and did odd jobs at the camp, we were fed and had the runof the place.
i won the best cadet silver cup, which was presented each year.
i also joined the shooting team, this was a great time, then our fortnights holiday in walney island nr barrow in furnace. we did a big parade, when montgomery visited the the battalion. we also paraded outside of the bootle town hall. once i had a photograph of monty talking to me, his question was,
what are you going to be when you grow up, my answer was
a weldererer. we went to brighouse in yorkshire, and won the band competition there. i was the mace bearer. the big drum player was FITZY
[fitzgerald] he could twist the drum in all directions.whilst playing.he came from marsh lane.some names would be billy delamere, fred mcardle, jimmy walker, billy harrison, and the canteen was run by a mrs spence, with her two daughters, joyce and ?? one of them married
someone who had been made an officer?? we had great times in the canteen. ah! just a few memories

frank
oriel55

I used to be in 1908 Squadron Air Training Corp and we occasionally fired .22 rifles on the indoor rifle range at Park Street Barracks.

I believe the T.A. unit stationed at Park Street Barracks was the last T.A. unit to be equipped with the Centurian Tank.
kenswayken

Any of you cadets remember Sgt Jimmy Edwards? He had been a tank commander at Alamein and was involved with Park Street later.
:wink: Ken
chieftain72

I joined in 1966 when it was 40/41 Royal Tank Regiment. Was 14 years
old for 3 years! Became a member of the newly formed drum and bugle
band that performed at the 1967 Royal Tournament and went to Ypres &
Mons in Belgium in 1969. I enjoyed many happy weekends at Altcar camp
and remember the old wooden shack that was the Red Rose canteen. (Thought I was big if I could get served with a pint!)
I went to Ballykinlar for annual camp in 1967 & 68 and Jurby in the Isle of
Man in 1969. If I remember right we changed to the Duke of Lancaster's
Own Yeomanry in late 1967.
At the end of a training night there would be a mad dash to get through
the gate before being nabbed to clean the place up. Happy times.
Mack
Site Admin

Welcome aboard our Bootle site chieftain72

Happy Posting :D

Mack [Bootle site admin] :D
PETER CRAIG

chieftain72 wrote:I joined in 1966 when it was 40/41 Royal Tank Regiment. Was 14 years
old for 3 years! Became a member of the newly formed drum and bugle
band that performed at the 1967 Royal Tournament and went to Ypres &
Mons in Belgium in 1969. I enjoyed many happy weekends at Altcar camp
and remember the old wooden shack that was the Red Rose canteen. (Thought I was big if I could get served with a pint!)
I went to Ballykinlar for annual camp in 1967 & 68 and Jurby in the Isle of
Man in 1969. If I remember right we changed to the Duke of Lancaster's
Own Yeomanry in late 1967.
At the end of a training night there would be a mad dash to get through
the gate before being nabbed to clean the place up. Happy times.
Welcome to the Bootle forum chieftain72,
Peter.
Roy Deegan

I remember the band competition at brighouse, I played the cymbals!!! and my brother jim was trumpeter. He played the last post at the cenotaph each year and did it at the odeon liverpool when a film aboput the tanks was shown there. :lol:
DonDeeg

Hi Roy. Good to see you on the Site...
PETER CRAIG

Roy Deegan wrote:I remember the band competition at brighouse, I played the cymbals!!! and my brother jim was trumpeter. He played the last post at the cenotaph each year and did it at the odeon liverpool when a film aboput the tanks was shown there. :lol:
Welcome to the Bootle forum Roy,
Peter.
frank delamere

DON, ROY DEEGAN, hi! i dont suppose you would know me? i went to linacre school with your frank, my brother bill went to school with your jimmy.
billy and jimmy both went into the gaurds, billy into the scots gaurds
were he attained the rank equal to RSM, jimmy went into the irish gaurds,
were he attained the rank of sgt /major,
where is frank living now? i never did find out

frank delamere
DonDeeg

Frank..
Our Frank passed away several years ago..
Our Jim is still alive and living in Durban South Africa. with his daughter.
I was over in Liverpool last month and went to Linacre School.. they still have lots of the old school.logs.
I actually found ones with my sister Sylvia's name in it and also our David's .

I have some pics of our Dave in his Scots Guards uniform..
I will try to get them posted onto the site...
WatsonTommy

this is for everyone who served at park st barracks i joined in 1972 and done 20yrs only joined for the weekend/ at the time ,,when you come off the rifle range at Altcar< you had too swaer a decleration saying (i have no live rounds or empty cartidges in my PROSESION..... sir. when the falklands war started, I shot my self in the foot and .. and hop it out
Vivienc

andykeo wrote:I was in the cadets from 1976 until 1983 its was the 1st RTR and my OC was Capt Tom Cornmell. The unit moved to Little Strand Road (where the Asda stands now) and I joined 238 sqdn RCT which became RLC and left in 1999. Tommy Kelly who has been mentioned was my troop sgt. Great days!!
Did you know my brothers who where all in the TA Joe,Tommy,Ray James Stuart Cornmell Tom was our Cousin
Born Northfield rd 1961 from a large family went to Roberts and George's moved to south Africa1985 to 2006 now live in usa
teigny

Hi There I have just found this site and was looking for Park ST myself.
My name is Tery McGrath and was the Drum Major of the Band! I was there abut 66 - 68 when I joined the Regular Army. Used to be known as the Prof (due to the glasses, not the brain).
PETER CRAIG

Welcome to the Bootle forum teigny,
Peter.
The bear

I used to visit the park street barracks as I had a school friend who lived on site wit her parents. This was around 1961!!!
WatsonTommy

The bear wrote:I used to visit the park street barracks as I had a school friend who lived on site wit her parents. This was around 1961!!!
sgt bill bill fletcher was the storekeeper /caretaker and lived in the barracks house
WatsonTommy

Vivienc wrote:
Did you know my brothers who where all in the TA Joe,Tommy,Ray James Stuart Cornmell Tom was our Cousin
yes knew all the cormells joe was in the office stuarts still inn and i knew your dad big man drank in the irish club an old docker, joe me, george magee, billy smith, bullet owens,richie macray john catteral,lenny warburton ,jimmy culshaw,all knocked round together R.I.P joe i was in A troop john meehan was section commander and i was always tail end charlie greaat times
Dan

Bootle Times September 10 1992

Army Cadets at Sennybridge, with a photo of some of the Netherton Detatchment.