Balliol Road school

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
billy gill

Oh yes i remember Mr.Tickle
w.gill
gordon

bootlebuck wrote:
billy gill wrote:Hi, i was at Balliol Road from 1957 til 1961. I was in Mr. Pages class and Mr. Argent, i was also in Mr. Clough's too. Mr.Clough's son, John was a porter at Fazakerley Hospital but has recently retired.

Hey Billy you do surprise me, I would have thought Cloughy & Argent would have retired by then, as to Mr Page one gets the impression he was the only teacher there everyone was in his class. Was the most miserable of all Geography teachers still there, he had the last classroom on the end of the prefabs nearest the dining rooms his name was TICKLE but he did'nt when he got the cane out :lol:
bootlebuck
Hi All,

I was at Balliol 1957/61 don't forget Pop Taylor the Maths Teacher, Mr Ryding I think he did Sience, Mr Battersby he did English the Welshman Mr Jones Woodwork, I remember Mr McMillan (Metalwork) and he also did Olde English Sword Dancing, I did that for two years. Mr Brazendale did English & ran the Library. Mr Page from my recollection had fought in the RAF during the War, I think he had a burnt neck, unlike old Mr Clough who I think had fought in the first World War.

Happy Days.
gordon

bootlebuck wrote:
billy gill wrote:Hi, i was at Balliol Road from 1957 til 1961. I was in Mr. Pages class and Mr. Argent, i was also in Mr. Clough's too. Mr.Clough's son, John was a porter at Fazakerley Hospital but has recently retired.

Hey Billy you do surprise me, I would have thought Cloughy & Argent would have retired by then, as to Mr Page one gets the impression he was the only teacher there everyone was in his class. Was the most miserable of all Geography teachers still there, he had the last classroom on the end of the prefabs nearest the dining rooms his name was TICKLE but he did'nt when he got the cane out :lol:
bootlebuck
Hi All,

I was at Balliol 1957/61 don't forget Pop Taylor the Maths Teacher, Mr Ryding I think he did Sience, Mr Battersby he did English the Welshman Mr Jones Woodwork, I remember Mr McMillan (Metalwork) and he also did Olde English Sword Dancing, I did that for two years. Mr Brazendale did English & ran the Library. Mr Page from my recollection had fought in the RAF during the War, I think he had a burnt neck, unlike old Mr Clough who I think had fought in the first World War.

Happy Days.
peter davenport

I was there around 1950 - 1952 before I left to go the Bootle Tech. I remember all of the teachers mentioned. One not mentioned is Mr Clarke. He was ex RAF and a great teacher. He took science and music. He was very clever and used to play classical records on a gramophone he had made himself. Re. Mr Tickle (known as Bill) I was in his class one day when he gave a big lad the cane across his hand. The lad retaliated by smacking Bill in the face. Quite shocking in those days, perhaps quite common now!
oriel55

Great to see someone remembered Mr Brazendale. Great bloke, very helpful to me personally.

Also don't forget MRS Ryding/Riding the Art treacher; wife of the Form 4A/Science Teacher . I was truly awful at art ( I could'nt even draw the dole I was so bad!), so I invariably ended up doing odd jobs for her or acting as a model for the rest of the class. :)
bootlebuck

:x My nemisis of all the teachers was Mr TAILOR, we hated each other in Linacre lane jnr, then the b****r followed me to Balliol, making life a misery in both the PT class & on the playing field making me play rugby or at least trying, I spent more time standing in front of the changeing room cold wet & miserable, if any man deserved a miserable death it was HIM.
bb
Albert4511

was that pop taylor
Palace Barracks Memorial Garden has been a place of remembrance for nearly 18 years.
bootlebuck

Albert4511 wrote:was that pop taylor

:lol: your cotton pickin right it was POP TAYLOR
bb
The bear

Hi I went to Balliol Road and remember Sheila Whitaker, lived Well Lane Gardens, Jean Oliver, Hawthorne Road. I was in Miss McNallys class. Janet Hopwood and Sylvia Fenton from Benedict Street. Cannot remember other names!!!!!! help.
The bear

I remember a Miss O'Mara the art teacher from Quarry Bank. We would line up to go into class and she would come round the corner and she would say stop talking girls!!!!
lynne99

Sorry to say this, but I think it is very wrong to wish someone a miserable death quote "if any man deserved a miserable death it was HIM". Please think before you write. He will be someone's family and friend..
oriel55

I was at Balliol Road Secondary Modern School 1959-1963. The head was Mr Elliot, a very musical and religious man. Mr Argent was our English teacher; he made us use fountain pens and was happy when recounting his army career; as was Mr Battersby, one of the Year 1 teachers. Pop Taylor ex RAF was senior Maths teacher and in charge of 1908 Squadron (Bootle) Air Training Corp. Mr Page, also ex RAF, was Practical Drawing teacher and yes I recall he was very good at table tennis. Mr Riding was the Science teacher and gave extra Maths classes, in his own time in the evening, to help us better understand Maths after the traumatic beatings in Pop Taylor's Maths classes rendered most of petrified of proper Maths classes. Mrs Riding was the Art teacher and in charge of the Library. Mr Jones was the Woodwork teacher and miserable at all times, Mr Andy McMillan was the Metalwork teacher and although volatile at times was a good bloke deep down. Mr Jenkins was our Religious Education teacher; a very mild mannered and kind hearted man who my class mates pitilessly took the micky out of, until one day, he actually gave a trouble maker a truly well deserved caning which reduced the class to silence and the bad lad to real tears. Mr Price, 4C Teacher I think, ran the chocolate biscuit 'swindle.' Later poor Mr Price emigrated to Canada and was run over and killed shortly after arriving in the country.
I recall my first year at the school where we were all taught how to play a musical instrument. The second year the musical instruments were gone! So no more music lessons! History lessons for my year/class were abandoned in my last year at the school due to a lack of teachers. I always did well in History, so I was well miffed. I remember after PE one day, Pop Taylor stating in his Maths class that we all stank and should have a shower in the evening when we were at home. (This was before the school had showers built in 1963).One very brave class mate replied " we don't have any bathrooms in our houses sir, can we come round to yours for a shower?" Pop Taylor always smoked in class, opening a window as a gesture of goodwill towards those seated close to where he stood.
I won't say they were always happy days, but by God they were character building times.
Vivian

Does anyone know when Balliol Secondary schools were built please?
Park Street born and bred, Christ Church, Eden Vale, Balliol Sec Mod and Bootle Tech.
BOBHAMO

1914 Mr W.F Towndrow head master till 1932
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Vivian

Thank you
Park Street born and bred, Christ Church, Eden Vale, Balliol Sec Mod and Bootle Tech.
georgecraft

I would be glad if you guys could share the photo discussed above! I am willing to see what it looks like!
Pkegs

granhet wrote:Hi - I was at Balliol girls school from 59 - 64. If anyone has any photos from then I would love to see them. Cheers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/413960455475309/
Pamsy (Joined: 21 Jul 2006)

Keegan, Hayward, Rigg, Carruthers, Mee, Hough

Born and bred in Bootle