sterrix lane

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
BOBHAMO

bootle born altcar road
BOBHAMO

these are for all are ford members,
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Eddie

Great Pictures Bob :)
If a Evertonian say's it he's a bitter blue, if a red $hite say's it its only banter.......

Eddie Williams
kenswayken

Them parts I know well !! thanks for that Bob, brilliant pics. The old area looks quite good. :wink: Ken
BOBHAMO

Ken i was up there for another member but new you lived up there , i lved there myself for 7 years , the shops have been cut down , my cousin still lives there , his dad jack was the local window cleaner ,they have built the new acadamy on the corner which was are football ground when i played for the stand park in the joc , also played darts for them , my children attended holy ghost , but then moved to the big city :lol: :lol: liverpool
bob
bootle born altcar road
davybaby

Cracking Pictures!
kenswayken

Every night in the light nights we played football on that field Bob. My mate lived next door to The Strand Park when it was being built, I remember seeing the drawings in the site hut, it looked just like your pic.
Although Cooksons was the Family pub, I did most of my courting at SP,
Saturday nights, after playing, home changed and meet up, 12 pints and playing again on Sunday morning and then Cooksons for Sunday afternoon with my Dad. Thanks again. :wink: Ken
fatboyjoe90

Great photos Bob. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
mary moulsdale

Hi Bob great great pics for us xxxxx Ford residents, so many memories there. The one of the bottom of Sterrix Lane where the blue car is Bob, is the spot i was talking about. (paint) lol and the two white houses shown are the houses where are families good friends lived, the Collins and the Crummys. Great pics and wonderful memories. Thank you so much for taking time to do this for us xxxx pats. :) :) :) :) Mary
i want to meet all old family and friends.From Garden Lane,Sterrix Lane and Sefton Estate
lily8

Nice one Bob well done :P :P :P :P
Lily
filsgreen

Thanks for the pics Bob, is the Stand Park open or shutdown? Also the name relates to something that was there previously, does anyone know what?

Phil
Eddie

filsgreen wrote:Thanks for the pics Bob, is the Stand Park open or shutdown? Also the name relates to something that was there previously, does anyone know what?

Phil

Its still open m8
If a Evertonian say's it he's a bitter blue, if a red $hite say's it its only banter.......

Eddie Williams
kenswayken

I remember the 1st manager at Strand Park, Mr Sedgewick, he was misplaced in the hospitality game, never smiled or got involved in banter!
:wink: Ken
filsgreen

Ta Eddie, good to see another pub hasn't bit the dust. Phil
Bonesy

Great pics Bob, know the area very well.
The football pitch where the Academy is situated now we used to call it "The Greenie"
The last pic with the new roundabout in the background was where my old school stood "The Army Huts"
Do you remember the off licence at The Stand it was right in the centre, the right side was the bar and to the left was the the cocktail lounge.
The photo of the shops, I think I can name most of them from the 60s from left to right,
The Chemist, Pierce`s Wool Shop, Vernons Stores, Butchers, Ross Greengrocers, Marshal & Wheatch Grocers, Lunts Sweet Shop, Tonys Chippy.
Happy Days.

Keith
kenswayken

Spot on Keith - The Greenie - we'd save the "spectacular goals" for when the 56 bus was passing. Army Huts was my first school too. I remember those shops, used to go in marshalls for broken biscuits on the way to school (Netherton Moss by then) Good chippy in those days. :wink: Ken
BOBHAMO

Thanks keith and ken remember most of the shops , it was a long walk to marion square, i liked it up there it was a good estate ,
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
vinny

Ta Bob got relatives around Ford good pictures :D
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
smegcolin

Hey Keith,are they the same shops where me, you and Alf used to hang around sometimes? I seem to remember there was a 2nd. floor above the shops....flats or something :!:

And the 'Army Huts'. Didn't Warwick Bolam take them over and use them as the 'Annex'....?

See ya later.....cheers.
Colin R
sheez

smegcolin wrote:
Hey Keith,are they the same shops where me, you and Alf used to hang around sometimes? I seem to remember there was a 2nd. floor above the shops....flats or something :!:

And the 'Army Huts'. Didn't Warwick Bolam take them over and use them as the 'Annex'....?

See ya later.....cheers.
All the flats above these type of shops in Netherton and Ford have been taken down - not sure why.

The Annexe army huts; not sure about Warwick Bolam using them, but the first ones you came to on the left hand side next to the golf course were briefly used by Our Lady of Walsingham and the ones next door (at the side of the cinder path) were used by The Holy Ghost third and fourth years in the late 60s.
Sheez :D
smegcolin

Hi sheez....thanks so much for your input :) .
I only recognized the shops from Keith's description of the store names,as the photo looks nothing like how I remember them from 1969...LOL!!!!

I'm still not certain about Warwick Bolam's connection to Sterrix Lane though. But I'm pretty sure they moved two classes down there in 1968. I had no idea other schools were using it too.

Thanks again,
Colin R
Bonesy

Hey Colin, Sterrix Lane was my Primary & Junior Schools from 1958 - 65.
From what I can remember, which isn't much compared with you :lol:
From 67/68 ish Warwick moved the 4th & 5th class for each year to Sterrix Lane as did St Thomas Aquinas.

Keith
smegcolin

Yeah, that's what I thought,Keith....thanks for confirming that for me :) .

Seeing that photo of the Stand reminded me of the times we'd sneak into the offy for a couple,or three,bottles of Guinness....there and Cookson's....LOL!!!!

Happy days,mate..... :D .
Colin R
kenswayken

Was that pub always The Stand Park, I remember it as The Strand Park ? :wink: Ken
Mackenzie

Ken
In my collection of old maps the area around what later became the golf course was called Stand Park, it possibly had some agricultural connections! The road facing the Park Hotel off Park Lane leading to the rear of the golf course is called Stand Park Avenue have an aunt living there. I have a memory of the pub possibly being called the Strand Park as well, maybe the original being a signing error! then unceremoniously corrected at a later time, during a possible pub refurbishment.
A mention in this link http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report ... mpid=41293
kenswayken

Thanks Mackenzie. I probably consumed more beer in that place than any other pub and I'm convinced it was The Strand. I've sent a message to an old drinking buddy of mine to clarify it. Cheers/Ken
Kathy John Moorcroft

Thanks Bob for great pics, remember the area very well.

My late brother and his wife, owned the Sweet shop/newsagents, in the mid 70's.
Must have bought it off the Lunt's.
I worked there and used to swop football cards with all the boys for my son.. :lol:

I did go back and had a look in 2009, at the estate and shops.
But when I looked at the pics later I thought I had got it wrong.
Because I remember the flats above..

Also you have settled an argument, on The Strand Park pub,
couldn't think of the name..
Thanks.

Kathy.
Bonesy

Kathy my brother Len Jones bought the lease to Lunts shop in about 1970 and he ran it for about 6 years or so.
Just spoken to him and he thinks he sold it on to a couple called Les & Margaret, would that have been your brother & sister in law ? he also said he remembers that one of there mums was called Peggy !

Regarding the Pub, just spoken to my mum she has been living around there now for 58 years and she confirms that it was always called and the sign always said The Stand Park.

Colin remember the offy well it was bang in the centre of the pub, Hic :lol:

Keith
Kathy John Moorcroft

Hi Keith, your brother got most of it right..

My brother was Kenny, his wife is Margaret, and Margie's mother was Peggy.. :lol:

They had it in the mid 70's for a couple of years, then moved to Anglessy and bought a card shop, which one of there daughters still runs.

I worked for Ken and Marg, so did Peggy, and a lady with glasses, who lived on the estate, can't think of her name..

I could remember the pub but couldn't remember the name.
My son thought it was 'Strand Park" So not far out..

Kathy.
Bri

Hi Keith and Kathy,

Been reading your posts with interest and felt it was time to jump in. Kathy, I think the lady with the glasses you're talking about is my Mum, Joan. She worked in the shop for years and still speaks to Margie now and again. Keith, she is also a very old friend of your Mum and worked with her in Marshalls.

Regarding the pub, it was always called the Strand Park from the begining with a sign indicating this, then after a renovation a new sign appeared with the new name, confusing everybody.

Bri
PETER CRAIG

Bri wrote:Hi Keith and Kathy,

Been reading your posts with interest and felt it was time to jump in. Kathy, I think the lady with the glasses you're talking about is my Mum, Joan. She worked in the shop for years and still speaks to Margie now and again. Keith, she is also a very old friend of your Mum and worked with her in Marshalls.

Regarding the pub, it was always called the Strand Park from the begining with a sign indicating this, then after a renovation a new sign appeared with the new name, confusing everybody.

Bri
Welcome to the Bootle forum Bri,
Peter.
Kathy John Moorcroft

Bri wrote:Hi Keith and Kathy,

Bri
Firstly welcome to the forum Bri..

Sorry I forgot you Mum's name. :oops:
I could picture her, short hair, glasses, and always smiling.
Joan was great to work with, although we were all part time.
I used to peddle to the shop on my bike from Inman Rd, after the kids had gone to school.
Do you have a sister, I seem to remember a girl coming into the shop..??
Say hello to your Mum for me.. :lol:

Kathy.
kenswayken

I'm with you Bri, I still reckon it was THE STRAND before. :wink: Ken
Bri

Thank you all for your welcoming words, glad I stumbled across this interesting site. Kathy, my sisters name is Sue and still lives locally. My mum has some problems but still gets about, I will talk to her, pass on your regards and see if she remembers you. We actually lived in one of the houses above the shops so they were a handy source of employment for my mum over the years. She worked in quite a few of them. Bri
Bonesy

Hi Bri, I remember you, I wont reveal your surname but if I am right it begins with a G.
I was in the same class in Sterrix as your sister Sue.
Didn't you live in the maisonette's above the shops ?

Still say it was the Stand Park though

Keith