SOME INTRESTING PICS

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
vinny

YMCA PARK STREET CORNER OF HAWTHORNE THEN CHRIST CHURCH SCHOOL

LOVE THIS PICTURE UNKNOWN BOOTLE DOCKS

GOING TOWARDS GLADSTONE LOCK TO BEGIN HER VOYAGE 1960,S

LOOKING THROUGH THE BOOTLE DOCK BRANCH LINE TUNNEL STANLEY RD ON TOP TOWARDS THE HALF MILEY WHICH CAN BE SEEN IN DISTANCE

BOOTLE DOCKS DATE UNKNOWN
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
PeterR

vinny wrote:Image

YMCA PARK STREET CORNER OF HAWTHORNE THEN CHRIST CHURCH SCHOOL

LOVE THIS PICTURE UNKNOWN BOOTLE DOCKS

GOING TOWARDS GLADSTONE LOCK TO BEGIN HER VOYAGE 1960,S

LOOKING THROUGH THE BOOTLE DOCK BRANCH LINE TUNNEL STANLEY RD ON TOP TOWARDS THE HALF MILEY WHICH CAN BE SEEN IN DISTANCE

BOOTLE DOCKS DATE UNKNOWN
Vinny, This will have been 1948 as on the west wall of Gladstone Dock is seen the then NEW Cunard Cruise ship "Caronia" she will have just come from builders John Brown at Clydebank
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
Elaine Goulding

Vinny, as usual. love your pictures!!
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
kaycee

PeterR wrote:
vinny wrote:

Hi all

Which part of Stanley Road is this? I know where the half miley is and I'm guessing the start/end would have been approx Lidl carpark but can't think of this bridge part.

Cheers

P.S. Fab pics :D
Maureeng

Fantastic photo's Vinny, love the old ones. :)
PeterR

kaycee wrote:
PeterR wrote:
vinny wrote:

Hi all

Which part of Stanley Road is this? I know where the half miley is and I'm guessing the start/end would have been approx Lidl carpark but can't think of this bridge part.

Cheers

KAYCEE, As Vinny points out the bridge in the foreground goes under Stanley Road just before Marsh Lane ---The "Half Miley" in the background
went under Marsh Lane and came out at the bottom of Aintree road at Hawthorne RD,-the railway continued uphill under Fernhill Rd , Southport Rd and crossed Rice Lane to a big goods yard up there .
As a boy with some of my mates we used to go into that tunnel and since reading these threads I find that half the kids in Bootle have been in there too.
When the war was on Sentries were posted on guard at both entrances to this tunnel and German bombers did their utmost to bomb the bridge over the canal and empty the canal into the railway tunnel -they got the bridge but didn't get the tunnel.
Cheers
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
whacker66

The horse and cart is Jarvis Robinson...see the part of name
Peter
The bear

I used to attend Christ Church Juniors before going to Balliol Road. I also attended Christ Church Infants. I attended the YMCA when it was on Breeze Hill.
WatsonTommy

kaycee wrote:
PeterR wrote:
vinny wrote:

Hi all

Cheers

that i think is irlam road abve
BOBHAMO

Tommy if the bridge is stanley road
the buildings on top would be the salvation army hall
always puzzled me that photo :D :D
there was stanley road, bullens terrace ,washington street, bridges
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john j connell

Moving from the goods yard, Regent Rd the order of the tunnels was, Rimrose Rd- Pacific Rd- Irlam Rd- Talbot St then the bridge that carried the Liverpool/ Southport railway line, then Bullens Terrace also known as Washington Street then Stanley Rd and then the half miley, which was in fact about an 1/8 of a mile in length, the Salvation Army was situated to the left of the picture, directly above the tunnels you had advertising hoardings, prime location for watching the Orange Lodge pass by. JJC.
BOBHAMO

Thanks John :D :D :D
i never went that side of stanley road :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bob. b

Vinny great pictures. :D :D Wonder if they will ever come back into service ( Half Miley) with the new container base being built in Seaforth.