Old photos of Bootle

Post your photo's and video memories about Bootle here...
fatboyjoe90

I don't know if this photo has been posted on here before. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Think that is the Windham pub opposite the station Joe? Brings back a very vague memory of my granddad taking me in there of a Friday around teatime (I was about three! :shock: ) my mum finished work at Littlewoods and he used to take me to meet her coming through the subway. Of course, he had a pint while waiting! :lol:

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

The exterior of the Cunard Engine Works with a steam-powered traction engine pulling gun carriages along a cobbled road. Cunard had a number of sites around Merseyside engaged in making engines, munitions etc for the 1914 1918 war.

Concert Party, Cunard Shell Works, Rimrose Road, Bootle, Merseyside

Merseyside, Bootle
World War One (1914 - 1919)

Cunard Engine Works, Derby Road, Kirkdale, Liverpool

Merseyside, Liverpool
World War One (1914 - 1919)
Image.
Cheers Joe.
lynne99

I love the steam engine pulling all those gun carriages. Absolutely fantastic. Thanks
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Loretta, you’re right that is the Windham Pub. :) The question that i was asking was, has this photo of Oriel Road been posted on here before. :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your comment Lynne, I also like that photo of the gun carriages, being an x Artillery Man. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

No idea Joe! :D but it was good for me you posted it! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Loretta, that's what it's all about. :D :D :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Shelagh

Nice to see the old B/W photos back on show, have missed them..
The Windham pub, great photo, great pub, friends and I would call in for a quick drink on way home from work, (Saturday waitresses in Southport)
One glass of lager/lime then back home to get ready for the Orrell (don't know how we crammed it all in :D )
Also remember one of the regulars as being an Everton player, 'Trebilco' well known at the time!
Good memories of a great lively little pub :)
Thanks Joe!
fatboyjoe90

My pleasure Shelagh. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Bridge on St Johns Road Bootle.

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Seaforth Road, no date but looking at it, I'd say it's pre-war old police station next door to Scotts. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
henry

Shelagh wrote:Nice to see the old B/W photos back on show, have missed them..
The Windham pub, great photo, great pub, friends and I would call in for a quick drink on way home from work, (Saturday waitresses in Southport)
One glass of lager/lime then back home to get ready for the Orrell (don't know how we crammed it all in :D )
Also remember one of the regulars as being an Everton player, 'Trebilco' well known at the time!
Good memories of a great lively little pub :)
Thanks Joe!
Trebilco lived in the prefab facing st.winners church on Oriel road
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
fatboyjoe90

Cookson’s Bridge and the back Cookson's pub On the Leeds Liverpool Canal. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
efc46

brings back memories we used to swim in the cut at the gorsey or at the back of the flour mill applebes(carnt spell) thanks Joe/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your memories Davey, we understand all languages. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

This is Appleby’s flour mill Davey, Bobhamo posted this photo on this site a couple of years ago. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
efc46

we used to swim from stanley road bridge to the ironey our change room was the corner of the iron bridge lads I swam with dennis &mick mkeon wacker hanlon davey & matty brady robbie veich sixie kevin/mickandterry riley too name a few we all luved the cut brings back all our yesterdays/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
efc46

just looked at the photo I worked on the demolition (north mersey iron and steel) and I was in the crew that pulled the mill down about1962/3 I think thats williams toffee works chimney in the photo too /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
fatboyjoe90

Little Crosby Village. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Little Crosby Village, as it is today.

Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Hardly changed, Joe. Thanks for posting.
Shelagh

Great photos, good to look back at the old familiar places!

Nice story from efc, young lads swimming in the canal, such childhood memories, priceless :)

Seaforth has changed a bit, park still there but many of the shops have disappeared, pubs closed, flats and houses now occupy the old police station.. Star Of The Sea still very much in use, lovely building :)

Crosby village, hardly changed, those little cottages, once owned by the Blundell family, still tenanted, not allowed to be sold!!
There's a converted barn further along that little road, it's now a tea rooms, so quaint..do a scrummy homemade soup :wink:

(Thanks Henry for Info about Trebilco, thought he may have been local)

Shelagh!!
Invicta

Love the Cookies pic Joe. No piggeries on that bank these days :D Ken

Remember the cork warehouse on the other bank beyond the bridge?
Shelagh

Anchor Dining Rooms, Church Street, Bootle -1965
fatboyjoe90

Hiya Shelagh,
Great photo of Anchor Dining Rooms, Church Street Bootle, i remember it. It was on the other side of Church Street across Derby road i think. :wink: :D
I hope you don't mind me enlarging your photo Shelagh. :wink: :D
Does anyone recognise any faces?

Cheers Joe.
Shelagh

Thanks for that Joe :wink: not much use with techno stuff :roll:
I have a couple of names for people in the photo..but not all, will reveal later!
some of the men in picture are dock workers, others on the timber!
The photograph had been hanging on the wall of the signature restaurant (cafe inside Rapid hardware) for some time.
When the shop folded, all fixtures and fittings were sold off, this included the hanging pictures.. friend spotted this picture and snapped it up right away, knowing I would appreciate it :)

Shelagh!
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that Shelagh, I think I know three of the faeces from the door third right with the flat cap and the lad wearing the leather jacket. Sitting on the bench the man with his arm around the old man but can't put names to them. :roll: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Invicta wrote:Love the Cookies pic Joe. No piggeries on that bank these days :D Ken

Thanks, Ken, I'd forgotten about the piggeries i used to know the old man and woman, who would go round all the bakeries in Liverpool in their Bedford tipper truck collecting all the stale bread. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Invicta

Joe, My Mother worked for the Cooksons for years. She would give all the slops to the pig men to mix with the pig feed. On slaughter day they would give her the odd pork joint but mostly all sorts of “ bits”.. Friday , late night fry up in our house was something to behold.
Happy Days
Ken
ALAMO2008

fatboyjoe90 wrote:
Invicta wrote:Love the Cookies pic Joe. No piggeries on that bank these days :D Ken

Thanks, Ken, I'd forgotten about the piggeries i used to know the old man and woman, who would go round all the bakeries in Liverpool in their Bedford tipper truck collecting all the stale bread. :wink:

I and my mate Albie Keegan from Randall Dr used to play in the Piggerie run by "Paddy" (Dunning ) we'd play in the old wrecked cars among the dried pig **** heaps.
We'd go out every Saturday during the 1950's and 60's with Paddy riding on his Horse(Dolly) and his Cart of empty Metal Bins, around all the households in Ford who had kept all their foodwaste and veg peelings in a separate bin in the back yards. We'd fill the bins and return to the Piggery where Paddy would make up and boil a huge Container of Pig Swill for the Sow and her Piglets, Paddy taught us a lot and how not to be frightened of the Pigs but to be respectful towards them.

Happy Days!
Invicta

Hi Al,
Yes I remember Paddy, a very nice man. Mum knew him very well.
I can still smell the “aroma” along there when they were boiling up the swill :lol: Ken
Shelagh

Joe,
couple of names from Church Street photo, lad in leather jacket is Johnny Carter, lad next to him (centre) hands in pockets, husband Jimmy, both working for Braithwaite & Gilmore Timber Merchants, at the time...
Others on photo, mostly dock workers, elderly man on bench also a docker, not sure of first name but Surname is Mcateer, he lived in Audley Street..
Very old photo, so might be difficult to recognise anyone..good piece of history though :)
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your photos Al. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your reply Shelagh, Sitting with his arm around the old man on the bench could his name be Terry Carr :?:
Cheers Joe.