Sefton Confirm Details for Battle of the Somme Commemoration

Post here about news - events - jobs
fatboyjoe90

Sefton Confirm Details for Battle of the Somme Commemorations

Posted 14 June 2016

Two services are to be held in Southport and Bootle as Sefton commemorates the 100Year Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme.

The Battle of the Somme was the largest and bloodiest battle of World War 1 with more than one million men being wounded or killed, many from Sefton.

Taking place on Friday, July 1 both services will start at 10:45am and will include readings, a 2-minute silence and the playing of the last post and reveille.

Full details of each service:

Bootle

Bootle Town Hall – Council Chamber

10:45am

Following the service in the Council Chamber, there will be a short wreath laying service under the Roll of Honour in the foyer, led by Labour Leader of Sefton Council, Cllr Ian Maher.

Refreshments will be served in the Committee Room.

Southport

Southport War Memorial – Lord Street

10:45am

The service will include the laying of a wreath at the memorial, led by the Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Iain Brodie Browne.

Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Iain Brodie Browne, said: “It is very important that we remember the sacrifice made at World War 1 and I am proud to be leading the commemoration event in Southport.

“There will have been many young men from across Sefton that went over the top at the Battle of the Somme and some will not have made it home. I am sure this will be a very emotional but fitting to tribute to their memory.”

Last Updated on 14 June 2016. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
paul1965

Can anyone attend this
fatboyjoe90

I would’ve thought so Paul, good luck if you go, and please let me know how it went. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
filsgreen

Sorry Joe just saw this, I couldn't have attended as I've just finished work. I did do a two minute silence on the ward though. I hope there was a good turnout.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for replying to this post Phil, no problem mate I did my two minute silence in front of the telly. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
shadow

Hope this went well, did anybody get any pictures of the day?
Life is for living and freedom is for everyone :)