Remembrance Day services in Sefton.

Post here about news - events - jobs
fatboyjoe90

Remembrance Day services are taking place across the borough which will be attended by the Mayor of Sefton, councillors and council officers.

They will all remember those who died in conflict at services being held on Sunday, November 9.

The Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Kevin Cluskey, will attend a morning service at the War Memorial, Five Lamps, Waterloo at 10.55am.

Councillors and other Sefton Council representatives will be present at a total of 11 services being held on Sunday, November 9 throughout the borough.

These will be held at other locations in Aintree, Ainsdale, Bootle, Crosby, Hightown, Ince Blundell, Litherland, Maghull and Southport.

In previous years the number of members of the public attending the services has increased and people are advised to arrive in plenty of time.

Mayor of Sefton, Cllr Kevin Cluskey, said: "These services, and others taking place across Sefton, are very important as we remember those who lost their lives in conflict past and present.

"They act as a platform for us all to remember how we owe a huge debt to every single one of them for the peace and freedom we currently enjoy today.

"Every year councillors and council officers from Sefton make every effort to be present at the many services taking place across the borough.

"Hopefully as many people as possible will attend the many services held in Sefton and spend some time to pause and reflect on the sacrifices made by our brave service men and women."

Below is a list of the times and services held in Sefton on Sunday, November 9.
District Location Assembly Time Service Time Mayor/Mayor’s Representative
Aintree Sefton Parish Church (St Helens), Lunt Road, Sefton 10.30 a.m. 10.45 a.m. Cllr Stephen Kermode
Ainsdale War Memorial, Village Green 10.30 a.m. 10.45 a.m. Cllr Terry Jones

Bootle War Memorial, King’s Gardens, Stanley Road 10.25 a.m. 10.55 a.m. Leader of the Council - Cllr P Dowd
Waterloo War Memorial, Five Lamps, Gt George’s Road 10.30 a.m. 10.55 a.m. The Mayor of Sefton – Cllr Kevin Cluskey
Crosby War Memorial, Garden of Remembrance, Alexandra Park, Coronation Road 10.30 a.m. 10.55 a.m. Cllr Leslie Byrom
Formby Holy Trinity Church, Rosemary Lane, Formby 2.50 p.m. 3.00 p.m. Cllr Nina Killen

Hightown War Memorial, St Stephens Road, Hightown 10.35 a.m. 10.45 a.m. Cllr Steve McGinnity
Ince Blundell War Memorial, Lady Green Lane, Ince Blundell 12.05 p.m. 12.15 pm Cllr Catie Page

Litherland War Memorial, Town Hall, Sefton Road 10.30 a.m. 10.40 a.m. Cllr Ian Moncur
Maghull St Andrew’s Church, Damfield Lane 9.50 a.m. 10.00 a.m. Cllr Patrick McKinley
Southport War Memorial, Monument Square, Lord Street 10.25 a.m. 10.50 a.m. Deputy Lieutenant Col. Martin Amlot

Last Updated on 03 November 2014
Cheers Joe.
Mack
Site Admin

Thanks Joe :)

I've moved this over to our "Bootle community news - events - jobs" section and left a shadow of the topic in "Chat About Anything".

Mack :)
paul1965

i'll be at bootle myself
fatboyjoe90

No problems Mack. :wink:

Paul65, if you see Tommy Watson give him my regards thanks. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Frank948

I am glad to say i will be at Crosby five lamps on Sunday with a 1953 Dennis F8 Bootle fire appliance it will be on the fore court of Crosby Fire Station. . We will Remember Them.
F A Mullen
john j connell

There is a headstone in the old St Mary's Cemetery (Garden of Rest) dedicated to a Sgt Alfred Kirkwood, killed in action in France on the 1st of July 1916 aged 28,and also C S M, John Kirkwood, killed in action on the 8th of July 1916 aged 26,both of the 18th Service Battalion, K.L.R. 2nd Pals, i shall visit the Garden of Rest and leave 2 poppies as a mark of respect. How sad must that have been for the parents and family of these 2 lads to be informed that they had been killed within a week of each other. I did notice a small wooden cross that had been left at the headstone sometime in the not to distant past , so obviously there is still some ongoing connection in present day Bootle. JJC.
BOBHAMO

Thats a nice thing to do John the 2 brothers lived at 15 bedford road R I P
BOBHAMO
bootle born altcar road
42aitch

There is also a gravestone there in remembrance of Charles Jay died 1st July 1915 age 21 of 66 Boswell Street. I have this photograph and one of Charles. If you could take a photo of the Kirkwood brother gravestone I would be grateful, I haven't got round to doing their biographies yet but this would add to it.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
BOBHAMO

Nice gesture off John Connell to place a poppy on the headstone
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
42aitch

Hi Bob

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for posting the photo of the gravestone, husband is in hospital so been busy up and down visiting so no time for WW1 history at the moment but I do appreciate your help. You are such a help to everyone with the photographs of the area, both past and present.

Thanks again

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
BOBHAMO

Hope he is alright Eileen
we all need to keep are minds focused
the days i am not minding the grandkids
i get great satisfaction by going to bootle
and take some photos
all the work you do is such rewarding
and if i can help just a bit it makes my day
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lily8

Nice one Bob and John :D

Eileen hope your hubby will soon be back to health take care

Lilyxx
Lily
griffo

I found it really touching that you took the time john to place the poppy on this grave and to bob who took the photo to share this.
I would like to thank Eileen and all of the other volunteers who are providing details for the merseyside roll of honour. I now have names and photos together with details of where they died and are remembered of three of my relatives, my great uncle and two cousins whom I had never seen or knew of.
This year I put a poppy cross on my parents/grandparents grave inscribed with their names and date of death in their memory.

Thank you all