Litherland Churches & Schools - Photos

Post here about news - events - jobs
42aitch

Hi
Litherland History Group are holding an exhibition on 7th/8th September in Hatton Hill Park pavilion and I was wondering if anyone had any photos which we could show. We are most interested in group photos especially with years and names on. We would acknowledge any that you submit.

Schools are St Elizabeths, St Wilfrids, English Martyrs, Lander Road, Beach Road, Hatton Hill School, Our Lady Queen of Peace, Litherland Moss,and St Philips also Miss Prides School Litherland Park.

Churches are St Elizabeths, English Martyrs, Queen of Peace, St Andrews, St Philips, St Andrews and the Jehovahs Witness and Linacre Mission.

Also posted in 'Looking For'

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.
42aitch

Had a couple of replies with photos promised, thanks to those people.

Eileen
Kathy John Moorcroft

Sounds great Eileen.

Wish I had some old photos to show.

Kathy.
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Eileen,

I've moved this over to our Bootle news section for you and left a copy of the original message thread in Chat About Anything also.

Mack
jean eaton

Hi Eileen, here is a picture of myself and other students at .Miss Prides school.
We were in a concert, only one I have. Year about 1946/7. That's me standing left in front of father Christmas. Picture taken in the back yard of school. I believe Matt is the little boy in the back row.
You can see a green house in the back, Miss Pride gave me six pence a week to water her plants......

42aitch

Jean thanks for that lovely photo, it was a Posh school, one of very few private schools in the area.

Eileen
matt wethered

So glad you saw the thread Jean.I have been searching everywhere for that picture.I know I copied it to my computer....somewhere :? :?
Yes Eileen I am the boy 5th from left back row.I went there so as I could learn more English(my French was excellent :lol: ) before I went to Christ Church on Hawthorne road.Who could ever guess that we would meet on the Bootle Forum 60 something years later Jean
Matt
Patricia

Jean - What a great photo - i swear that is Jean Usher, who lived next door to me. Does her name seem at all familiar to you? She is second from the right (looking at the photo) on the row with the lady in the kilt!
It takes both rain & sunshine to make a rainbow
jean eaton

Patricia, sorry but the only one I remember was my friend Veronica {Ronnie} Howarth, we started there together.She and I being childhood friends. Ronnie's dad owned "The Coronation Pub" on Linacre Lane.
42aitch

Just bumping this up to remind people about the Litherland History Group exhibition, it is on Saturday and Sunday 8th/9th September at the Pavilion in Litherland Park (Hatton Hill) between 10.30-3.30pm.

The theme is Litherland schools and churches but there will also be lots of other photos of local areas and biographies of WW1 casualties from Litherland and Bootle.

Eileen
jean eaton

Eileen, if there is any more info on Miss Prides school or Litherland secondary school on Sterrix ln. I would be very interested. Went to secondary school after Miss Prides {which was also called Rockville Private College}
42aitch

Our first day was very successful and we had good comments from everyone and lots have promised us more photographs. Terryb and golfromeo both visited, but I didn't see golfromeo as I was in the back room having a bite to eat and a sit down.

My feet and my tongue are both sore but it has been worth the effort.
Hope to meet some others with an interest in Litherland and Bootle tomorrow. We are then be open 10.00 to 4.00pm as someone else advertised it in the Litherland Champion with those times. (Not a Litherland History member, just someone else who is involved with the Friends of the Park and didn't tell us or the Ranger)

Eileen
Kathy John Moorcroft

Glad all went well Eileen, would love to have been there.

Kathy.
Rusty

I attended Miss Pride's from 1949 until 1956, Sat eleven plus at Bedford Road School with another pupil, Frances James, and scraped a pass into Bootle Grammar in Balliol Road (which came as a shock to the system). Happy memories of Litherland Park ... teachers and fellow pupils ... remembering songs around the piano and art classes with Mrs Maclean (who doubled as cook for dinners). Names that come to mind: Miss Priest (a real sweetie), Miss Taylor (a disciplinarian), and Miss Busby (a large lady who rode a "sit-up-and-beg" bicycle with a handlebar basket). I recall a French lady who taught us snippets of French and played the piano ... but cannot recall her name. Pupils: Lee Twins (was it Sandra and Dorothy), Shirley James, David Rudd, Barry Hargreaves, and Malcolm ? (fanatical aircraft spotter). Miss Pride's study was just off the entrance lobby and there she presided in my time with her slobbery Great Dane, a yappy Pekinese, and her African Grey Parrot. The day started at 09:30 (rather than 09:00 like local schools) and the lunch break was long enough for me to walk home and back in time for 1:45 afternoon session. The changes were rung with a large brass bell located on a piece if furniture in the hall. Much time spent playing rounders in Litherland Park and tilling the garden! Can still remember my tables from those days and the names of the major towns of the (then) twenty-two counties of England (thanks to a card game we regularly played named "Counties"). Fond memories of Mrs Maclean for teaching me to draw and paint ... skills which eventually secured me a place at Liverpool College of Art in 1962!

Rusty
filsgreen

Thanks for your memories and welcome to the forum, Rusty. 😁