Looking for info on the late Edward John FARRELL

Find Bootle friends and family here
Chris Van Kerckhoven

I am a Belgian W. W. II researcher and I am looking for information on the late Edward John (Paddy) FARRELL, who sadly got killed on 27 September 1944 at or near Best (Holland) . He served with 97th Anti-Tank Regt., 15th Scottish Infantry Division . Age : 26 .
He was the son of James and Catherine Farrell, of Bootle, Lancashire .
Any kind of information on this soldier and/or relatives would be most welcome .

Thanking you in anticipation for your appreciated co-operation, I remain,
With kind regards,

Chris
Chris Van Kerckhoven
Geel - Belgium
PETER CRAIG

Last edited by PETER CRAIG on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy Lloyd

Welcome Chris, if there is any information out there then our doggered snoops will find it for you.
Eddy
BOBHAMO

HI CHRIS WELCOME TO THE SITE , THE ONLY JAMES FARRELL IN BOOTLE 1938 ,WAS JAMES FARRELL ,CO HAWTHORNE ROAD BOOTLE , THEY WHERE COOPERS ,BARRELL MAKERS , , HAVE LOOKED FOR HIS HOME ADDRESS , BUT HE MIGHT OF LIVED THERE , ALSO JOHN FARRELL 19 EARL ROAD BOOTLE , COOPER , MIGHT BE HIS BROTHER ?? WILL KEEP LOOKING , BOBHAMO
Chris Van Kerckhoven

Dear Bobhamo

Many thanks for your reply on my topic .
Any kind of information on E J Farrell, and his family, is most welcome !
Thanks for your support !

Kind regards,

Chris
sheelagh youssef

Hello Chris and welcome to the site, happy posting.

Sheelagh
tonywailey63

Hi Chris, hope this is of some use to you.
Edward John 'Paddy' Farrell I am assuming was born in 1918.His mother was Sara nee Williams (Christened in Saint James in 1897). I think his father was named James but James and Catherine Farrell were his Grandparents.

The witnesses to Sara's wedding held in Saint James on March 12 1917 were Sara Foxall and Edward Wailey who was my grandfather's brother.

best regards,

Tony
tony wailey
Jan

:D

Sarah married Thomas Farrell 1917

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1917
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
WILLIAMS Sarah T FARRELL Thomas West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/336/20

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Jan

:?

I can't find a birth reg in 1918 for a Edward J Farrell with mother's maiden name Williams.

However, I wonder if the name is the other way round?

I could only find this as a closest match in 1919.

England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005
about John E Farrell
Name: John E Farrell
Mother's Maiden Surname: Larkin
Date of Registration: Oct Nov Dec 1919
Registration district: W Derby
Registration County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 8b
Page Number: 683

Also this marriage in 1915

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1915
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
FARRELL James LARKIN Catherine West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/322/14

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
vinny

BOBHAMO wrote:HI CHRIS WELCOME TO THE SITE , THE ONLY JAMES FARRELL IN BOOTLE 1938 ,WAS JAMES FARRELL ,CO HAWTHORNE ROAD BOOTLE , THEY WHERE COOPERS ,BARRELL MAKERS , , HAVE LOOKED FOR HIS HOME ADDRESS , BUT HE MIGHT OF LIVED THERE , ALSO JOHN FARRELL 19 EARL ROAD BOOTLE , COOPER , MIGHT BE HIS BROTHER ?? WILL KEEP LOOKING , BOBHAMO
I worked at James Farrell Coopers in 1981 the owner was a James Farrell he was in his 70,s in 81 he also had 2 Brothers cannot remember their first names though. but i think he lived Southport way
Blair Street ..Marsh Lane..Bootle Village..Now Brighton-le-Sands (Waterloo)
Sandie Hayes

CWGC:
Name: FARRELL, EDWARD JOHN
Initials: E J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Artillery
Unit Text: 97 Anti-Tank Regt.
Date of Death: 27/09/1944
Service No: 1474029
Additional information: Son of James and Catherine Farrell, of Bootle, Lancashire.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 12.
Cemetery: VALKENSWAARD WAR CEMETERY
Support a fitting memorial to those who left Liverpool to fight for King and Country in the Great War.
Visit: theliverpoolpalsmemorialfund.com
Sandie Hayes

UK, Army Roll of Honour, 1939-1945 Edward Farrell
Name: Edward Farrell
Given Initials: E J
Death Date: 27 Sep 1944
Number: 1474029
Birth Place: Bootle
Residence: Liverpool
Regiment at Enlistment: Royal Artillery
Branch at Enlistment: Royal Artillery
Theatre of War: Western Europe Campaign, 1944/45
Regiment at Death: Royal Artillery
Branch at Death: Royal Artillery
Support a fitting memorial to those who left Liverpool to fight for King and Country in the Great War.
Sandie Hayes

Could this be his Grandfather?
Private 1589 JOHN FARRELL 1st Dock Battalion, Liverpool Regiment
Dock Porter of 22 Stafford Street, Marsh Lane, Bootle.
Enlisted at Regent Road, Bootle on 2nd January 1917, age 57. Discharged 18th January 1917 after failing to inform of previous injury to arm that prevented heavy lifting.
Last edited by Sandie Hayes on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandie Hayes

Andrew Ils, a Dutch military historian, has a website (it's Dutch but can be translated into English) www.andrewils.nl

There is a lot of information on Operation Market Garden, the action Edward was killed in, the cemetery and the men buried there. It may help give you some background information.
Jackie Dunn

tonywailey63 wrote:Hi Chris, hope this is of some use to you.
Edward John 'Paddy' Farrell I am assuming was born in 1918.His mother was Sara nee Williams (Christened in Saint James in 1897). I think his father was named James but James and Catherine Farrell were his Grandparents.

The witnesses to Sara's wedding held in Saint James on March 12 1917 were Sara Foxall and Edward Wailey who was my grandfather's brother.

best regards, Tony
Hi. Just to confirm some details. The wedding referred to was Sarah Williams marrying Thomas Farrell in 1917. Their children were Alice b1919, Dennis b1922, Gerard b1925 and Edward James b1929. Sorry but not the Edward John being looked for.

Jackie
Thommos sister

Hi there Jackie :)
Welcome to the Bootle forum and thank you for sharing info.

Thommos sister
Séan F

vinny wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:53 pm
BOBHAMO wrote:HI CHRIS WELCOME TO THE SITE , THE ONLY JAMES FARRELL IN BOOTLE 1938 ,WAS JAMES FARRELL ,CO HAWTHORNE ROAD BOOTLE , THEY WHERE COOPERS ,BARRELL MAKERS , , HAVE LOOKED FOR HIS HOME ADDRESS , BUT HE MIGHT OF LIVED THERE , ALSO JOHN FARRELL 19 EARL ROAD BOOTLE , COOPER , MIGHT BE HIS BROTHER ?? WILL KEEP LOOKING , BOBHAMO
I worked at James Farrell Coopers in 1981 the owner was a James Farrell he was in his 70,s in 81 he also had 2 Brothers cannot remember their first names though. but i think he lived Southport way
Hi,

The 2 brothers were Percy and Leo Farrell (my Grandfather) who lived in Formby. The nephew was Albert (Lal) who lived near Southport. Spent many a summer at the yard as a boy. Hope this helps.