Kelton House

Find Bootle friends and family here
Moira

Hello:) I am looking for information on women in Kelton House during the 1930s. My grandmother was there for about four years from 1934. My dad was born in 1934 and was raised by Irish Catholic nuns in an orphanage in Bootle. I was wondering if anyone might have any further information on orphanages in the area during the war years? My dad was never adopted, he stayed in the orphanage until he was 13. Thanks for any info anyone might have.
Jan

Hi Moira,

Kelton House was a convent in Aigburth. https://www.aworldinruins.co.uk/kelton-convent

I don't know of any orphanages in Bootle, but could you give your dad's name (where was he in 1939?)

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Moira

Hi Jan, thanks for your reply.My dad's name was John Cyril Burke, I'm not exactly sure where he was in 1939, either Kelton House or a nearby orphanage.
Sincerely,
Moira
Jan

Hi Moira,

I have had look at Kelton House in 1939 register, there only appears to be females in there at the time, but a lot of the names have been blacked out.

Would you happen to have your dad's birth certificate or DOB? Your mum's name? Sorry for all the questions.

There was a Liverpool & Bootle Police orphanage in Woolton.

I did find a John Burke in Bootle Wordsworth Street in 1939 but with parents.

Jan
Jan

Moira,

I found in the 1938 directory.

Woodlands Road Aigburth
The Convent of The Sacred Hearts of James & Mary; also Home of Providence
for destitute women and children. "Kelton".

Jan
Jan

Hi Moira,

I meant to ask what your nan's name is not your mum's name. Perhaps to find your nan in 1939.

I had a look at the 1939 register for the Liverpool & Bootle Police orphanage, but there were so many names blacked out.

Jan