Olive Jean Porter

Find Bootle friends and family here
jimwhitehead

I have not been here for a while I apologise for that, but now I have a very urgent request,,I will give as much information as I can my partner has a sister aged 70 this year and is shocked to find out that it's not her real sister however if it makes sense her mother did give birth to her but the father is unknown ( possibly a Canadian driver) and now they need to prove that her mother gave birth to her. Her mother used her Grandfathers name (Porter) her forenames are olive jean. Area is believed to be Maidenhead Berkshire as this is around 1947 (app) how would I go about searching this information please..Many thanks in advance Jim
James Robert Whitehead
Jan

Hi Jim,

I think the best way to find out would be to get a copy of the birth certificate, would you happen to know her mother's maiden name?

I could have a look at the birth indexes but would need a bit more info to pinpoint the right birth registration.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
jimwhitehead

from what I've been told Jan its porter thats all I can establish atm If I get more info it will be tomorrow and thanks for the reply :D :D :D
James Robert Whitehead
lily8

Hi There what was the mothers maiden name I searched the registers no Porters 1946/1948, then searched using just Olive Jean no matches but lots of Olive J's, if she had the child away from home I can't see why she would use a false surname.
Lily
jimwhitehead

Botterill it maybe hun xx
James Robert Whitehead
jimwhitehead

Hi Jan And Lily thank you. from the information I have and it's not a lot Birthday 19th October Mothers maiden name Olive Jean Porter DOB 24/june 1924 (90 on her death this year) married name Olive Jean Botterill. Caroline Anne Porter has no birth certificate apparently until she was adopted by Olive Jean Porter (I find that strange is it unheard off?) olive jean porter or Botterill first address after adoption was 42 Iffley rd hamersmith. adopted father was William John Botterill dob Nov 11th 1924. hope that helps somewhat as this is a mystery Regards Jim
James Robert Whitehead
Jan

Hi Jim,

Sorry I am a bit confused, who is Caroline Ann Porter? Is it Olive Jean we are looking for or Caroline Ann?

What was your partner's mother's name?

Jan
jimwhitehead

Hi Jan sorry its Caroline Anne Porter later Caroline Anne Botterill so sorry about that Cheers Jim
James Robert Whitehead
lily8

Births Sep 1947   (>99%)

Botterill
 Patricia O
 Porter
 Hammersmith
 5c

This is the closest I could get BUT it does not fit with DOB or name but may be worth a punt for a copy as the mothers maiden name is Porter, the area is close.
Lily
jimwhitehead

yes she was born after Caroline it's my g/f,s blood sister :) :)
James Robert Whitehead
Jan

Hmm difficult one.

There are a few births registered Caroline A Porter mother maiden name Porter, but not knowing the exact location the birth was registered is proving a difficult one.

First name(s)
CAROLINE A
Last name
PORTER
Birth year
Birth quarter
Registration month
-
Mother's last name
Porter
District
Newton Abbot
County
Devon
Country
England
Volume
7A
Page

Jan
Jan

Olive and William married in Hammersmith in 1947

Name:
Olive J Porter
Date of Registration:
Jan-Feb-Mar 1947
Registration district:
Hammersmith
Inferred County:
London
Spouse:
William J Botterill
Volume Number:
5c
Page Number:

Jan
jimwhitehead

dont know what to think about that Jan born a year before she married no mention of the father tho ? wow not 100% tho are we ? cheers Jim
James Robert Whitehead
Jan

Hi Jim,

You could contact the GRO (General Register Office) and ask if they could look at the birth cert for Caroline A Porter, they can do a 3 year search for the birth registered, but you would have to purchase a copy of the birth certificate, but tell them that you only want the certificate if the mother's name is a match ( Olive Jean Porter). You could ask them to look at the birth registration for the one I have put above. You would need to give them the name of the child Caroline A Porter, the year 1946, district Newton Abbot, Quarter 4, Volume number 7a Page 660. The certificates cost £9.25 each, I am not sure if they charge for a search though.

You could e-mail them and ask for their help with this http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certi ... act_us.asp If you explain the situation to them, I hope they will understand and will be able to help you.

Good Luck

Jan
Last edited by Jan on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
lily8

Good work and advice Jan :D

Dearly love to help with this one so checked back further in 1939

Olive J Porter (added later to the document married name Botterill) dob 26/6/1924, was employed as a nursery maid by George D Jeffreys (retired army) who also employed a further 9 servants address Burkham House Alton rural district Hampshire.

William J Botterill (only 2 listed this the more likely) dob 14/11/1913 Manager Window cleaning business and his sister Barbara June Botterill dob 4/10/1915 (later added married name EDWARDS) living at 370 Goldhawk road Hammersmith London.

Do your partner or her sister recall an aunty Barbara???

Do you have a copy of the marriage cert at all if not then would suggest getting a copy to ensure a start point. I feel sure there is a chance together we can solve this one. As Jan has said it will be important to trace birth certificate for Caroline Ann that she has listed. The birth was registered in December qtr 1946 this would cover Oct/Nov/Dec of that year, Olives Marriage was registered March Qtr 1947, covering Jan/Feb/March so at the most only 6 months between birth and marriage.
Last edited by lily8 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Jan

:D

Thanks Lily,

Great work on the 1939.

George D Jeffreys was Baron Jeffreys, he had been a colonel in the Grenadier Guards.

http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/onlin ... ys1952.htm

Jan
jimwhitehead

Hi folks thanks so much for all your help and comments, I've been asked to drop the subject by the sister involved, olive jean. And as such I will comply with her request, I do not understand her reasons but that's up to her, therefore I must apologise for seeming to waste your time on this subject and wish you all the success you deserve in your quests. Sincere thanks and Regards Jim Whitehead
James Robert Whitehead
Jan

Hi Jim,

Thanks for letting us know, I understand that you have to respect the wishes and privacy of the person(s) involved.

No worries, you have not wasted anyone's time, it is just one of them things.

Best wishes

Jan
lily8

Hi Jim as Jan says no worries cheers
Lily
jimwhitehead

a sincere big thanks folks cya soon cheers
James Robert Whitehead