Alice Foster,Rupert hill

Find Bootle friends and family here
johnforster082

Hi genies,
I'm back on the forum after quite a long absence (p.52 St.Mary's Bootle thread)
I need a bit of a kickstart on an Everton rellie if possible please.
I have the death certificate for my gt/gm Alice Foster d.28aug1885 at 53 Rupert hill, aged 69yrs. Widow of Robert Foster. Unfortunately no mention of her maiden name.
The point being, where would she most likely have been buried. I know it's clutching at straws but I thought her grave stone epitaph may include her maiden name (unless she was buried in a public grave). Also would newspaper obits have been published in those days?
I have traced Roberts family back a few generations in Ireland but could not find Alice and Roberts marriage record as I did not know her maiden name or what Parish she originated from . It was customary in Ireland for the groom to marry in the brides Parish and they don't appear to have married in Roberts Parish of Galloon.
I really need her maiden name to broaden my search any help very very much appreciated. Cheers John
Thommos sister

Hi John my cousin Tommy Foster (3 times removed!) His Fosters had a huge fight with the Forster's and never the twain shall meet. I notice Robt & Alice are Forster in 1871 census both born Ireland, are they the right ones please? Son Joseph born in Ireland 1847, just as a guide for the peeps. T.S
johnforster082

Hi TS,
Yes...the family group lived for several generations in the small townland of Coolnasillagh near Newtownbutler, co Fermanagh.Church records seemed to enter them as Forster but the griiffiths valuation survey listed them as Foster as did some other records. Consequently, when they migrated to Liverpool Roberts sons ...John favoured Foster and Joseph chose Forster.
But yes, definitely the same family.
Cheers. John
BOBHAMO

Hi John Rupert hill just off Shaw street is only a few hundred yards from the
Necropolis cemertary all faiths
http://www.catalystmedia.org.uk/archive ... eneath.php
its just an open park now with a few gravestones left all moved because of health issues
Rupert hill 1965
i looked at the obits liverpool mercury and post but no luck
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
johnforster082

Hi Bob,
Thank you for the look up and the interesting link, Looks like Alice most likely interred at the Nacropolis then.
I have checked the Toxteth cemetery burial site and foind the family plot for Alice son John and his family but no Robert and Alice.
Robert died the 19th April 1879 at John terrace, Salisbury Street Evertonwould Thant mean he would be buried some where other than the Necropolis ?. Thanks for the photo of Rupert Hill is it still there ? .
PS I will check the Anfield, Kirkdale and Allerton records next.
Cheers John
Jan

Hi John,

It is difficult to pinpoint where Alice might have been buried, it would be a case of searching through the cem records that were open in 1885. Here is a link to some of the cems that were open then, Allerton can be ruled out, it didn't open until 1909. http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co. ... rials.html

Hope that helps a bit.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
johnforster082

Hi Jan
Thanks for the advice and the link
What do you think about obits in that era and which newspapers would I need to search?
John